IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

How to gut your primary cats (Dyno results to come soon)

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-14, 10:57 AM
MGordo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by imp0rted1
mgordo,

what about o2 spacers that are "catted"

http://www.bigdaddiesgarage.com/mini-cat-cel-fix.html

http://www.redlineperformance.co.nz/...with-mini-cat/

novel uses something similar to the 2nd one
Ive seen people throw steel wool in them as well, guess any of the cheap fixes are worth a shot. For the above one at $95 each, it would make more sense to go with the proven O2 conditioner from Sikky ($224.99) or PPE ($130.00 shipped)
For now I am ok with clearing the codes every few weeks, seeing that I can do it while driving.
Old 10-01-14, 12:49 PM
ForzaF
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MGordo
Ive seen people throw steel wool in them as well, guess any of the cheap fixes are worth a shot. For the above one at $95 each, it would make more sense to go with the proven O2 conditioner from Sikky ($224.99) or PPE ($130.00 shipped)
For now I am ok with clearing the codes every few weeks, seeing that I can do it while driving.
Sikkys are $120 shipped unless they changed pricing from a month ago
Old 10-01-14, 01:01 PM
MGordo
Driver

Originally Posted by ISF2NV
Sikkys are $120 shipped unless they changed pricing from a month ago
From September 3rd:

Hey Mark,

We do sell those individually. Retail price on them is $224.99. If you're interested is purchasing this please let me know. Thanks!

-Justin
Sikky MFG
Old 10-02-14, 06:28 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

From September 3rd:

Hey Mark,

We do sell those individually. Retail price on them is $224.99. If you're interested is purchasing this please let me know. Thanks!

-Justin
Sikky MFG
Thats crazy!!! Ive purchased the sims from them on two different occasions and the price was always $99
Old 10-02-14, 01:56 PM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MRxSLAYx
Thats crazy!!! Ive purchased the sims from them on two different occasions and the price was always $99
my understanding is that was a replacement cost if you had bought headers.
Old 12-23-14, 12:01 PM
MGordo
Driver

To update this post, the codes kept on coming back with the O2 spacers, so I ended up buying the conditioners and PPE.. $130 shipped in the US vs. $220 from Sikky.
No codes and I am a happy camper. (Got a little scared soldering into the ECU harness.. but didnt take long)
Old 12-23-14, 12:14 PM
H60Driver
Driver

I just got mine from Sikky and it was only 100.00 plus shipping. Think it came to 112.00 total.
Old 12-23-14, 02:17 PM
MGordo
Driver

Very odd. Ive emailed twice from different accounts using different stories and both were the same price.(One saying I bought used headers that didnt come with the Sim, one just asked about buying) I asked about the $1XX price and was told all of their prices recently went up. Ah well. 130 shipped vs 110 is pretty close.
Old 12-23-14, 02:25 PM
jdm_altzza
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Very odd. Ive emailed twice from different accounts using different stories and both were the same price.(One saying I bought used headers that didnt come with the Sim, one just asked about buying) I asked about the $1XX price and was told all of their prices recently went up. Ah well. 130 shipped vs 110 is pretty close.
They must have noticed this thread and others buying just the sim made them think why? Well maybe because there has been speculation that deleting primary cats will give the same amount of power as SIKKY or PPE. Just my .02 cents. so up goes the prices on something that's a bit higher in demand for the F.
Old 12-29-14, 06:38 AM
JE
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jdm_altzza
They must have noticed this thread and others buying just the sim made them think why? Well maybe because there has been speculation that deleting primary cats will give the same amount of power as SIKKY or PPE. Just my .02 cents. so up goes the prices on something that's a bit higher in demand for the F.
Nice guess but not accurate. We recently spoke with them about this after having a customer reach out to us to buy one. He didn't buy Sikky headers but wanted to replace his ppe sim with the Sikky one. We too asked why the price was higher and this is what was said.

"we are not in the business of making and selling sims, we developed this micro processor specifically for use with our headers and it was never intended to be sold on its own. If people would like to buy this unit outside of the headers they are priced accordingly."

Also, having first hand experience gutting cats does not produce the same power. We did this for a customer over a year ago. It does have an improvement over non gutted or stock headers for obvious reasons but I would have to say roughly half the increase from the full replacement header if memory serves me correct. I would seriously doubt this has had nothing to do with the price change.

So, hope this helps shed some light on things. The Sikky micro processor is hands down the best sim out there IMHO so I know which one we will get if we need one in the future regardless of price. The good news is you have options and can get what works for you and fits your budget.
Old 01-17-15, 08:50 AM
ISFBomb
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys, I came up with another option to deal with the O2 sensors after CAT delete.

Materials:
2x Model 42002 spark plug non-foulers
Leftover 'honeycomb' from CAT delete
Tools:
Dremel
Lathe (if you have the resources)
Drill
1/2" drill bit
O2 sensor socket
Small adjustable wrench (not sure the exact wrench size)
Ruler/caliper
PPE (safety first!)
Other tools as necessary

I used two spark plug non-foulers on each side with a cylinder of CAT 'honeycomb' in the first spark plug non-fouler. Due to clearance issues, I had to use a lathe and remove about 1/4" off of the second non-fouler for each side. The leftover 'honeycomb' from the CAT delete was shaped with a Dremel to fit tight in the non-modified non-fouler that screws into the exhaust system. The second non-fouler on each side was drilled out with a 1/2" bit for O2 sensor clearance. I shaved 0.1" off of the hex head and 0.15 off of the threads. I found that there are way too many threads to be able to screw the O2 sensor into the second non-fouler.....wiring gets crazy-twisted.

So far so good with tricking the ECU.....drove soft and hard for 25 miles or so over 40 minutes....no check engine or VSC light. More testing to come depending on weather.

'Honeycomb' in non-fouler.

Shaved and non-modified.

Assembly: screw O2 into second, first into exhaust, then screw together.

Spark plug non-foulers used.

Assembly together.

Thanks for the thread guys.....helped me out with my Borla CAT-back system!
Old 01-17-15, 10:09 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFBomb
Thanks for the thread guys.....helped me out with my Borla CAT-back system!
Hmmm...you shouldn't have any issues with a Borla Cat back exhaust....You probably have a leaky fitting or something of that nature.
Old 01-17-15, 11:28 AM
ISFBomb
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
Hmmm...you shouldn't have any issues with a Borla Cat back exhaust....You probably have a leaky fitting or something of that nature.
So what you're trying to say is that with a CAT-back exhaust and CAT removal there shouldn't be any issues with the O2 sensor after the CATs? Everything was checked for leaks upon test drive after installed, btw.
Old 01-17-15, 12:07 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by ISFBomb
So what you're trying to say is that with a CAT-back exhaust and CAT removal there shouldn't be any issues with the O2 sensor after the CATs? Everything was checked for leaks upon test drive after installed, btw.
Great work..!! And I applaud you on the DIY post & info..

The most important part of reinstalling any O2 or A/F sensor is too never allow the wiring to be wound up on the reinstall.. It creates a problem and eventual failure.

Simple solution is to counter twist the exact amount of turns before threading in, to ensure the wires are perfectly straight once installed..

On the stock sensor and thread it's approx 2 & 3/4 counter clockwise turns from a perfectly straight 4 wires..

Joe Z

Old 01-17-15, 12:14 PM
ISFBomb
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Great work..!! And I applaud you on the DIY post & info..

The most important part of reinstalling any O2 or A/F sensor is too never allow the wiring to be wound up on the reinstall.. It creates a problem and eventual failure.

Simple solution is to counter twist the exact amount of turns before threading in, to ensure the wires are perfectly straight once installed..

On the stock sensor and thread it's approx 2 & 3/4 counter clockwise turns from a perfectly straight 4 wires..

Joe Z

Thanks Joe Z.

I tried untwisting the wires before screwing it in, but apparently not enough. I will take another stab at it and maybe make some adjustments. Thanks for the catch!

Quick Reply: How to gut your primary cats (Dyno results to come soon)