IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Painting calipers

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-14, 07:42 AM
QCisf
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by H60Driver
I used VHT Flame Proof flat orange(good for put to 2000deg), brembo stickers followed by VHT caliper clear coat. Turned out really clean. Haven't had any fading problems here in the El Paso heat.

Attachment 334215
I used the exact same paint/clear. Look awsome on your black F too!
Attached Thumbnails Painting calipers-dsc00033.jpg  
Old 07-07-14, 10:20 AM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

^^^^^^Did someone spray paint your front tire Blue?

Digger08
Old 07-07-14, 10:38 AM
Lmood
Lexus Test Driver

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by digger08

Digger08
Looks like lens flare to me
Old 07-07-14, 12:09 PM
QCisf
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by digger08

Digger08
Originally Posted by Lmood
Looks like lens flare to me
Hahaha yeah it's lens flare !
Old 06-07-16, 12:08 PM
qoner
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used VHT Flame Proof flat orange(good for put to 2000deg), brembo stickers followed by VHT caliper clear coat. Turned out really clean. Haven't had any fading problems here in the El Paso heat.

Attachment 334211

Attachment 334212

Attachment 334213

Attachment 334215
That looks amazing! I going to do the same with my GS just had a few questions:
How many cans of VHT did you need for all the calipers?
Did you remove the calipers completely or paint around them?
Is this the correct color VHT paint and clear coat you used?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/310813840016?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIThttp://www.ebay.com/itm/252406415661?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Thanks for any help you can offer man
Old 06-07-16, 12:25 PM
MpKSonic
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I used the VHT Burnt Copper on mine:
Attachment 492691

Attachment 492692

Attachment 492693

and this is the clear coat I used:
Amazon.com: USC Spraymax® 2k Glamour High Gloss Aerosol Clear Part # Usc-3680061: Automotive Amazon.com: USC Spraymax® 2k Glamour High Gloss Aerosol Clear Part # Usc-3680061: Automotive

Very happy with the results. Next time I paint the calipers, I will take my time between primer and base coats. Removing the decals was a pain in the *** because my coats of black weren't fully dry when applying the decals.

Speaking of decals. How did everyone that has painted their own removed their decals. I don't have the most steady of hands, so it was quite the process. lol
Old 06-07-16, 01:21 PM
qoner
Driver School Candidate

Attachment 334211

Attachment 334212

Attachment 334213

Attachment 334215
Originally Posted by MpKSonic
I used the VHT Burnt Copper on mine:

and this is the clear coat I used:
Amazon.com: USC Spraymax® 2k Glamour High Gloss Aerosol Clear Part # Usc-3680061: Automotive

Very happy with the results. Next time I paint the calipers, I will take my time between primer and base coats. Removing the decals was a pain in the *** because my coats of black weren't fully dry when applying the decals.

Speaking of decals. How did everyone that has painted their own removed their decals. I don't have the most steady of hands, so it was quite the process. lol

Bro that looks sick! Forgive the novice questions but the difference in the paint you used (up to 650 degrees) and the difference between the flat orange engine paint (up to 2000 degrees) doesn't really matter as far as calipers go unless the car is on fire right?

Why did you use that Spraymax clearcoat instead of the VHT? Also did you perform the job with the calipers completely off? And lastly, how many cans of everything did you have to use? Thanks for the reply btw, really helps a lot.
Old 06-07-16, 07:33 PM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Because 2 part clear is substantially better than the garbage they offer in Vatozone. Much better finish and shines like factory clear. Definitely the way to go.

I did that burnt copper on my last car. Looks badass in person.
Old 06-07-16, 08:29 PM
v8sedan
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FFM
Because 2 part clear is substantially better than the garbage they offer in Vatozone. Much better finish and shines like factory clear. Definitely the way to go.

I did that burnt copper on my last car. Looks badass in person.
No in fact it's way better. The one stage clearcoat cannot resist the acid used at your carwash to wash your wheels . Not resistant to uv (become yellowish) and will eventually crack and fade. One stage clearcoat should be used only for spots in interior of parts or on 1000$ less ****boxes. Way to go with the 2k clear (wich is a little expensive if you consider that a gallon of good clearcoat is about 120$) but you need a spraygun and a compressor wich is not in a typical homeowner toolbox 😉
Old 06-07-16, 09:24 PM
MpKSonic
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by qoner
Bro that looks sick! Forgive the novice questions but the difference in the paint you used (up to 650 degrees) and the difference between the flat orange engine paint (up to 2000 degrees) doesn't really matter as far as calipers go unless the car is on fire right?

Why did you use that Spraymax clearcoat instead of the VHT? Also did you perform the job with the calipers completely off? And lastly, how many cans of everything did you have to use? Thanks for the reply btw, really helps a lot.
Others have answered the clear coat questions. It really made the burnt copper pop. I believe the base coats of black helped out a lot too. One can of each primer, black, copper and clear coat is more than enough to do all 4 calipers.

I left the brakes on the car. I spent several hours prepping everything. Definitely worth the time, as you can see. I'll post some pictures tomorrow of how is masked the brakes and car.

Like said above, pictures don't do this color justice.
Old 06-08-16, 11:01 AM
qoner
Driver School Candidate

Others have answered the clear coat questions. It really made the burnt copper pop. I believe the base coats of black helped out a lot too. One can of each primer, black, copper and clear coat is more than enough to do all 4 calipers.

I left the brakes on the car. I spent several hours prepping everything. Definitely worth the time, as you can see. I'll post some pictures tomorrow of how is masked the brakes and car.

Good info on the 2 part clearcoat, was wondering how you got the calipers to pop so clear and glossy! I'm ordering the burnt copper VHT and the Spraymax clearcoat you used, do you have a recommendation for primer and black? Would DEFINITELY love to see those extra pictures you have btw, that visual would help my process tremendously!

Thanks FFM and v8sedan for your responses also.
Old 06-08-16, 01:36 PM
isfdave86
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like a new project to tackle. I wish VHT had more color options, though
Old 06-13-16, 06:08 AM
v8sedan
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by isfdave86
Looks like a new project to tackle. I wish VHT had more color options, though
You can go to any automotive paint seller and ask him to make you a can of any color you want 😉
Old 06-13-16, 06:27 AM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Or just use automotivetouchups.com, takes about a week.
Old 07-01-16, 12:20 AM
qoner
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by v8sedan
No in fact it's way better. The one stage clearcoat cannot resist the acid used at your carwash to wash your wheels . Not resistant to uv (become yellowish) and will eventually crack and fade. One stage clearcoat should be used only for spots in interior of parts or on 1000$ less ****boxes. Way to go with the 2k clear (wich is a little expensive if you consider that a gallon of good clearcoat is about 120$) but you need a spraygun and a compressor wich is not in a typical homeowner toolbox 😉
Was not aware of any of this, thanks a lot man!

I'm gonna hunt you down for those pics man!! Been on the edge of my seat waiting lol

Quick Reply: Painting calipers