Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

nice Lava Orange Calipers look badass
Old 06-24-14, 10:21 PM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by robher
This is my understanding. The heat in the powder coating process kills the seals, so they have to be rebuilt. But painting them should be fine.

I'm just curious on what the wallet damage would look like if they were powder coated and rebuilt.

I guess I could call a body shop to see what they would charge. I don't know that I want to go to that length though and kill the warranty on the brake system. I just got a free brake job (pads, reworking, etc) because of a TSB since they were squealing a bit.

I think if I just paint them (or have them painted), I'd be OK on the warranty piece.
I used the G2 kit on my Denali a few years ago and I was extremely **** about cleaning, prep work, and doing multiple coats, and they looked AMAZING when they were done. But then within 3 years they started chipping & peeling badly, and I'm in AZ so weather (salt, snow, etc) was not an issue. So I redid them and decided to go with powder coating this time, and I called around to several places and was able to get them done for just $15/ea (I called 3 shops and they all gave me the same price). I also had to buy the rebuild kit for each caliper which I think was about $12/ea, so total cost was $27/ea x 4 = just over $100 for all 4. Well worth the price if you ask me! Of course then there's also the time of removing the calipers and taking out the pistons and seals and then putting it all back together when I got them back. I'm sure if you took it to a place and had them do all of that then it could end up being pretty costly.

I just looked up the rebuild kits for the ISF and they are $8.61 for the rear and $20.79 for the front = $58.80 for all four. Not too bad! So total cost if you do the work yourself would be about $120.

Last edited by jleonard71; 06-24-14 at 10:44 PM.
Old 06-25-14, 03:24 PM
168Motor
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Orange looks great!! Loving the interior!!

Recently did a full complete caliper paint job including full brake flush/bleed...
Old 06-25-14, 03:54 PM
toriharper
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SoCal_450h
this what I did.....
Holy crap! That looks amazing!
Old 06-26-14, 05:53 AM
robher
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 168Motor
Orange looks great!! Loving the interior!!
Thanks! I ordered a swatch from G2 to see if the color is close. If it is, I'll likely paint a little bit of something else metallic to see what the finish looks like. The black calipers right now are pretty smooth so I don't want to ruin a good thing. However, the colored ones look pretty slick. A buddy of mine has one of those new CLA45 AMGs. His calipers are red to match his interior accents, and it made me jealous
Old 06-26-14, 09:46 AM
RedlineAZ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jleonard71
I used the G2 kit on my Denali a few years ago and I was extremely **** about cleaning, prep work, and doing multiple coats, and they looked AMAZING when they were done. But then within 3 years they started chipping & peeling badly, and I'm in AZ so weather (salt, snow, etc) was not an issue. So I redid them and decided to go with powder coating this time, and I called around to several places and was able to get them done for just $15/ea (I called 3 shops and they all gave me the same price). I also had to buy the rebuild kit for each caliper which I think was about $12/ea, so total cost was $27/ea x 4 = just over $100 for all 4. Well worth the price if you ask me! Of course then there's also the time of removing the calipers and taking out the pistons and seals and then putting it all back together when I got them back. I'm sure if you took it to a place and had them do all of that then it could end up being pretty costly.

I just looked up the rebuild kits for the ISF and they are $8.61 for the rear and $20.79 for the front = $58.80 for all four. Not too bad! So total cost if you do the work yourself would be about $120.
Hey man, I'm also in AZ and looking to get this done. Any local shops that you can refer me to that can do the rebuild too? I am a little hesitant about rebuilding the calipers myself.
Old 06-27-14, 07:00 AM
SoCal_450h
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by toriharper
Holy crap! That looks amazing!
Thanks....
Old 06-28-14, 09:24 AM
RedlineAZ
Lead Lap

Has anyone had them painted professionally (not a DIY or powder coated) and had issues with peeling from the heat? I know powder coating is a more durable finish, but living in AZ it gets HOT here, not sure how automotive grade paint will hold up on them. Anyone experience issues from it?
Old 06-29-14, 07:25 AM
H60Driver
Driver

I used VHT Flame Proof flat orange(good for put to 2000deg), brembo stickers followed by VHT caliper clear coat. Turned out really clean. Haven't had any fading problems here in the El Paso heat.

Painting calipers-image-3773067683.jpg

Painting calipers-image-1439887451.jpg

Painting calipers-image-1361016694.jpg

Painting calipers-image-2651290385.jpg
Attached Thumbnails Painting calipers-image-616948592.jpg  
Old 06-29-14, 04:12 PM
RedlineAZ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by H60Driver
I used VHT Flame Proof flat orange(good for put to 2000deg), brembo stickers followed by VHT caliper clear coat. Turned out really clean. Haven't had any fading problems here in the El Paso heat.

Attachment 334211

Attachment 334212

Attachment 334213

Attachment 334215

That looks awesome!!!!! Thanks for the response, I really like the look of that. I also have a black IS-F and was wondering what orange would look like on it. Any direct views of the side of the car so I can see both at once?
Old 06-29-14, 04:37 PM
H60Driver
Driver

Originally Posted by RedlineAZ
That looks awesome!!!!! Thanks for the response, I really like the look of that. I also have a black IS-F and was wondering what orange would look like on it. Any direct views of the side of the car so I can see both at once?
Thanks. Not the best pics but here ya go.

Painting calipers-image-3317130679.jpg

Painting calipers-image-1367799553.jpg
Old 06-30-14, 06:03 AM
ISFalex
Driver

Have many of you guys done this? I really want to match the trim in my car. It's black exterior with orange interior accents. Currently I have stock black calipers. I've seen a lot of various pics but I'm afraid of it looking DIY, so I'm considering trying to find someone to do it professionally.
That orange looks EPIC
Old 07-03-14, 04:01 PM
robher
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by H60Driver
Thanks. Not the best pics but here ya go.

Attachment 334266

Attachment 334267

Awesome! Thanks for the color... I'll look into using that. My stepfather has a friend that manages a bunch of local dealership's service department. I think I'm going to get it powder coated and rebuild the calipers. I'm also thinking of taking the inside rotors off and having the cap painted orange to match.

Also, where did you get that F emblem with the orange surround? Mine has the standard blue trim
Old 07-03-14, 04:28 PM
H60Driver
Driver

Awesome! Thanks for the color... I'll look into using that. My stepfather has a friend that manages a bunch of local dealership's service department. I think I'm going to get it powder coated and rebuild the calipers. I'm also thinking of taking the inside rotors off and having the cap painted orange to match. Also, where did you get that F emblem with the orange surround? Mine has the standard blue trim

Painting calipers-image-2946556219.jpg

Just taped them off and sprayed them with orange spray paint. Looks way better in person. I've got a lot of compliments.
Old 07-06-14, 05:14 PM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RedlineAZ
Hey man, I'm also in AZ and looking to get this done. Any local shops that you can refer me to that can do the rebuild too? I am a little hesitant about rebuilding the calipers myself.
The place that did them for $15/ea requires that they be stripped when you bring them in. Actually all the powder coat places that I called required that, I assume because they are pros at powder coating not disassembling & reassembling calipers. I did find one custom shop where you just drop them off and they strip them, send them out for coating and then put them back together, but they wanted $100/ea!! That did include the cost of the rebuild parts which is about $60 for the set, but you'd still be paying them $400 vs. doing it yourself for $120. So essentially $280 to disassemble and reassemble the calipers which is ridiculous. Just watch a few YouTube videos, it's not that hard to do and only takes maybe 10-15 minutes each. Or you could find a shop that will charge you a reasonable rate to rebuild them, and just tell them you want to pick them up after they are stripped and then bring them back a few days later once they have been powder coated. You could even bring them rebuild parts. That'll probably be cheaper than just taking them to a place and having them do everything because their going to mark up the parts and the powder coat job in addition to charging for the labor.

Last edited by jleonard71; 07-06-14 at 05:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Painting calipers