IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

IS F Rotors and Pads

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-14, 06:21 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by RedlineAZ
DUDE! You're the man! I need to buy a new rear bumper for my IS-F and I was just about to start looking for it, didn't know the discounts are that crazy for members here. Thanks again!
Here's the front bumper:
8U1 - Ultrasonic Blue Metallic W/ Headlamp Cleaner & Sonar
In Store: $841.91
Online: $787.95
ClubLexus Price: $591.31

Here's the rear bumper:
8U1 - Ultrasonic Blue Metallic w/ Sonar
In Store: $810.54
Online: $770.05
ClubLexus Price: $572.24

A body shop will likely charge $80-$100 an hour for labor. Between the prep work and painting time alone, you're going to exceed the cost of the brand new bumper already painted. Add in the cost of the bumper, and you're well over a grand. If you know how to install it yourself, which I've been told is not difficult at all, you can literally save hundreds, if not maybe a grand, on a job/project like this.
Old 08-28-14, 06:26 AM
Reaper21
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You forgot about the $200 for shipping.
Old 08-28-14, 06:29 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Just don't assume you'll have a show quality color match. Paint fades over time, and if you're getting a respray on the front (or the whole car), you'd be better off to just get it all done by one shop at one time.

I'd be fine with it myself, but there are others here who would not be fine with it at all.
Originally Posted by Reaper21
You forgot about the $200 for shipping.
I'm seeing $147 to Atlanta. Still way faster, cheaper and simpler than having it done by a shop.
Old 08-28-14, 07:20 AM
Sean
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did my front bumper and it came out to $700 shipped which is what I was quoted for a respray and repairing the minor defects that were bugging me. I figured I might as well just get a new bumper. I could have had it spot fixed for much less, but was concerned about the quality of the work.

Paint match looks to be perfect but fade could still be an issue if the car has spent a lot of time in the sun. Also light colors (starfire, ultra white) any tiny difference in paint may be more noticeable.
Old 08-28-14, 08:19 AM
Reaper21
Pole Position

$700 for a bumper?? Damn, I get mine done for $300 and its a quality job. Granted, the guy has done a ton of work for me thru the years but still. Even the dealer here quoted me $550. Idk where you're taking it to get painted but I would look elsewhere.
Old 08-28-14, 08:57 AM
Sean
Lead Lap

Agreed it is bit much. The problem is I don't have a lot of options for quality work where I live and even the closest Lexus dealership is a 2 hour drive. It can be frustrating at times.
Old 08-28-14, 11:17 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean
I just did my front bumper and it came out to $700 shipped which is what I was quoted for a respray and repairing the minor defects that were bugging me. I figured I might as well just get a new bumper. I could have had it spot fixed for much less, but was concerned about the quality of the work.

Paint match looks to be perfect but fade could still be an issue if the car has spent a lot of time in the sun. Also light colors (starfire, ultra white) any tiny difference in paint may be more noticeable.
actually, this is a normal good price if they used nice brand paint and clear. working in body shop, you get what you pay for.

glad you brought up the paint match. normal people dont see it like this. but you are correct 100%. i blended my bumper and hood with the front fenders for a perfect match.
Old 08-28-14, 02:12 PM
RedlineAZ
Lead Lap

Are these factory painted or is there a 3rd party that paints the OEM bumpers for Sewells?
Old 08-28-14, 07:50 PM
speeddem0n
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by melbitoast
Yeah, make sure you sign up on Sewell as a CL member. Some of our discounts are RIDICULOUS for some parts. I have an old friend that's the Asst. Service Mgr at Sewell, and he said that's employee pricing. He checked if he could get me a better price on my rotors, and it ended up being the same as what he would pay.

New painted bumpers from Sewell are also a steal compared to having a body/paint shop respray your old one.
Some discounts are great, but i had someone get me parts at employee pricing for less than their site.

As for the rotors and pads, rears are stock... on the fronts I decided to give this a shot... got Bendix which is the same company as Honeywell for dirt cheap with Bosch pads and so fa so good no complaints at all, saved several hundred.
Old 08-29-14, 09:28 AM
RMA
Driver

I ended up ordering a new set of front/rear Project Mu NS400 pads & will used the spare $$ towards a new set of Michelin PSS. Tech mentioned I should be fine with the original otors I have on my car being its just under 20k miles.
Old 09-01-14, 03:30 AM
LexyISF
Pole Position

Just with the Project Mu NS400 pads, how do they compare to stock?
Old 09-01-14, 03:33 AM
LexyISF
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RecursiveL
Interested to know thoughts on the Centric rotors vs OEM ones for those of us who do light track work with the car (I'm happy with the performance of the OEM brakes but Lexus Australia thinks we print money and charges accordingly)
We can get Project Mu CRD rotors for $700 a pair locally now. This is what I'll be going with unless I really want to stretch for the RacingBrake 2 piece rotors, which we can get locally too.
Old 09-27-14, 11:08 AM
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just FYI, my car is getting brakes done right now along with a major service, new rotors front and rear + stop tech pads front and rear + flush is running me $495 parts, $200 labor. So the F's brakes aren't as expensive as I was led to believe.
Old 09-27-14, 07:24 PM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I installed my rotors and pads this afternoon, and it was a breeze.The hardest part was cleaning my hands afterwards, man was it diiiiirty. I purchased my Centric rotors from Parts Geek and Project Mu type NS 400 pads from Speed Freaks. They offer a 10%discount for CL members. The code to use at checkout is "CL10". it will save you a phone call from getting the code. Purchasing separately from the 2 sites was cheaper than the rotor/pad combo that Speed Freaks offers. I also used MrRebates.com at Parts Geek as well. After a few mile drive after the install I could trek the initial bite from the OEM setup want there but the braking power through the rest of the cycle seemed just as strong as oem, but I'm sure I will be able to really start to feel the difference later on with more miles.
Old 09-27-14, 09:44 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,289 Posts

^^^^Did you bed in your new brakes? You should feel the improvements immediately after the bed in procedure.

Look Here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-review-2.html

And see the post by Speed-Freaks

Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 09-28-14 at 03:05 PM.

Quick Reply: IS F Rotors and Pads