IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Rear Differential repair

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-14, 11:51 AM
MikesISF
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Rear Differential repair

My ISF has been at the shop for 3 weeks waiting for a new rear DIff from Lexus, now the shop tells me they can't get the rear axle off the diff! Does that even sound feasible?
Old 06-14-14, 12:45 PM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Boy, your not having much luck with this car. Sorry to hear this.
I'm not sure what the issue with the diff. was that caused the need for replacement. If the splines on the inboard shafts are damaged, clogged with debris or twisted then it's feasible.
Old 06-15-14, 03:07 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by MikesISF
My ISF has been at the shop for 3 weeks waiting for a new rear DIff from Lexus, now the shop tells me they can't get the rear axle off the diff! Does that even sound feasible?
Yes, and odds are you're going to need axles too. Whomever previously owned your car beat the crap out of it.
Old 06-15-14, 05:35 PM
MikesISF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Yes, and odds are you're going to need axles too. Whomever previously owned your car beat the crap out of it.
well he told me he needs to put it in to the warrantly company again, so hopefully they approve it, then I will have new rear axles as well. Is there any other concerns I should have now considering the damage to these parts? Like the engine?
Old 06-16-14, 05:04 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

how can the rear diff get trashed like that? Burn outs?
Old 06-16-14, 06:19 AM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Anything that shocks the rear diff like burn outs with not enough throttle, wheel hop, skipping across the pavement while trying to drift or do donuts, etc.
Overheating the fluid won't do any good for it either and once you get a little debris in the gear oil that finds it's way around the damage will accelerate quickly.

Last edited by RCB; 06-16-14 at 06:22 AM.
Old 06-16-14, 07:34 PM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Mike, once your diff is completed may I buy the broken one/ inner open diff from you. I have a project that I need the inside for measurement and it being broken is fine with me.
Old 06-17-14, 07:16 AM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

As far as i have been able to use the car these diffs are TOUGH! surprised its having issues of this caliber.
Old 06-17-14, 07:29 AM
yjk1975
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would get this fixed and then trade the car in. Too many bad signs.
Old 06-17-14, 09:35 AM
Reaper21
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by yjk1975
I would get this fixed and then trade the car in. Too many bad signs.
+100. The paint job shoulda been a huge red flag.
Old 06-17-14, 10:57 AM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

What are the signs\sounds of a bad rear differential?
Old 06-17-14, 11:00 AM
BS ISF
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I blew mine back in the fall. I was extremely hard on mine though so this isn't a familiar occurrence with our diff's. I started to develop a small thud noise when I would get off the gas then have to get back on. it felt like there was a slack feeling then it would make a loud thud in the rear. plus if your hard on it then make sure to have your diff fluid checked.
Old 06-17-14, 01:56 PM
WillRockwe
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would guess that driving with the traction control turned off would put a lot of strain on the rear end.
Old 06-17-14, 10:16 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by WillRockwe
I would guess that driving with the traction control turned off would put a lot of strain on the rear end.
Not specifically. Driving with TC off and beating on the car - making the rear wheels hop - will put a lot of strain on the diff. I drive with VSC off plenty, but I'll never have these issues because I don't do burnouts or hard throttle transitions. It's a lot more about what you do with your foot, and a lot less what you do with the switches.
Old 06-22-14, 04:21 PM
MikesISF
Driver School Candidate

Default Update

just an update, turns out the car is still covered under Lexus 60 months power-train warranty. So now the dealer has to send the car to Lexus because the warranty company (the one I bought with the car) will not cover the repair.

Eventually this will all get fixed, but in the mean time, I've been without the car for over a month! I am considering trading this car in for a newer ISF but I was planning on driving it for a couple years first.

I think I am going to put it back to factory suspension and get smaller 18" wheels with all weather tires to make it drivable since I live in a big city. The lowered suspension and oversized wheels have been scraping and giving problems anyway.

To add to the fun, none of the electronics on the steering wheel work, including the cruise control so even after this major problem is fixed, I still have at least another claim to put in for this issue.

Basically I will spend a lot of time and energy (and hopefully no money) fixing this car back up to the way it should have been when I bought it. At least I got a good deal I paid around $33,000 for 2009 with under 40,000 miles. When compared to comparable cars I think I did OK.

This has been an adventure, and at least the dealer gave me an 07 Infiniti G35 to kick around in while all this drama has been unfolding. I've been able to continue with business as usual, just not in the car that I was so thrilled to finally own

Quick Reply: Rear Differential repair