2013 Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-14, 03:20 PM
OneSiCkF
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2013 Headlights

Need everyone's help on this issue.

I recently bought some used 2013 headlights off a member on this forum. Upon recieving the headlights, the box was pretty much open from how it was handled/damaged during shipping. I failed to carefully inspect the headlights when they arrived as I knew I had no idea how to install them. Last night, I was prepping them to take them to my local installer when I noticed a piece of plastic inside the box had broken off from one of the lights. I quickly found that the same exact piece broke off the other side however only 1 broken piece was recovered. The other broken piece must have slipped out the box during shipping. To top things all off, I also noticed a minor crack/chip on the top corner of a headlight. Luckily, the seller included $1k worth of insurance although it wouldn't cover my purchase price. With this being said, for those of you who have this MY year light installed:

1) Would I still be able to install the lamps without the clips pictured below? The areas circled in red depict where the clips broke off from and the white circles show where I believe they should be screwed on which still are intact.

2) If not, what do you all recommend? File an insurance claim with USPS although I would end up losing money since the lights were insured for less than my purchase price? If I filed a claim, would they reimburse me and possibly let me keep the lights since they were negligent with my package during shipping?

For the record I am not blaming the seller for any of this happening. He did what he could to try to avoid this from occuring. Is labeling the box with 'FRAGILE' all over it not enough?

Feel free to chime in with any suggestions. Thanks

Old 06-05-14, 03:56 PM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You will be fine. Lexus sells replacement taps if needed
Old 06-05-14, 03:59 PM
OneSiCkF
Lead Lap

Please clarify your response a tad bit MK4Sup_isF. The piece that broke off seems to be part of the back cover of the headlight. Doesn't appear to be removeable or replaceable unless the lamps were baked.
Old 06-05-14, 04:54 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

I bought some crappy used broken 2011 headlights off the forums with missing tabs everywhere, just superglue the tabs that you have back on. I went to tommy at music box and he took care of everything for me.

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 06-05-14, 04:57 PM
J2K
Pole Position

Originally Posted by OneSiCkF
Please clarify your response a tad bit MK4Sup_isF. The piece that broke off seems to be part of the back cover of the headlight. Doesn't appear to be removeable or replaceable unless the lamps were baked.
The broken tab can be cut off from the headlight. I used a loose hack saw blade and carefully removed one in the past. Once removed, the replacement tab can be screwed onto the headlight. It's a little nerve racking, but if you take your time, you'll be fine and the light will be as good as new.

Here is a link to Sewell's diagram showing the replacement tab part numbers.

http://is.sewellparts.com/images/oem...000/814491.jpg
Old 06-05-14, 05:00 PM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

Example of a the replacement tap, you just cut away the broken bracket completely and then mount the new replacement bracket onto the existing mounting holes on the housing.
Attached Thumbnails 2013 Headlights-_57.jpg  
Old 06-05-14, 05:02 PM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by J2K
The broken tab can be cut off from the headlight. I used a loose hack saw blade and carefully removed one in the past. Once removed, the replacement tab can be screwed onto the headlight. It's a little nerve racking, but if you take your time, you'll be fine and the light will be as good as new.

I just use the box cutter and start carving it up. It is not that bad really.
Old 06-05-14, 05:04 PM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

Also, where are you located? I'm in Westminster. If you are close enough, I can help with repining or wire it up to "auto on". I'm piecing together 3 sets of 2012 head lights for the fellow ISF owners that I hang out with.
Old 06-05-14, 08:37 PM
OneSiCkF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by joshhleee
I bought some crappy used broken 2011 headlights off the forums with missing tabs everywhere, just superglue the tabs that you have back on. I went to tommy at music box and he took care of everything for me.
What exactly did Tommy do for you and how did he charge? I can super glue one of the tabs but the other one is missing somewhere. Will mounting the headlamps as is cause any issues?

Originally Posted by J2K

Thanks for the heads up. Didn't know this was even possible. Will the mounting the headlamps w/o those tabs cause any issues?

Originally Posted by MK4Sup_isF
I just use the box cutter and start carving it up. It is not that bad really.
Originally Posted by MK4Sup_isF
Also, where are you located? I'm in Westminster. If you are close enough, I can help with repining or wire it up to "auto on". I'm piecing together 3 sets of 2012 head lights for the fellow ISF owners that I hang out with.
Im located near DTLA but will most likely be installing with Tommy. The lights already came pre-wired to be on as long as the car is on as well as intermittently blink with the turn signals such as the late model Audis. Since you seem to know a lot about the headlights, do you know if the headlights will fit on a 08 ISF if the cap is placed under the LED board? The previous owner mounted without the cap and instead sealed the hole with 3M film. Please advise.
Old 06-05-14, 11:08 PM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

What exactly did Tommy do for you and how did he charge? I can super glue one of the tabs but the other one is missing somewhere. Will mounting the headlamps as is cause any issues?

Thanks for the heads up. Didn't know this was even possible. Will the mounting the headlamps w/o those tabs cause any issues?

Im located near DTLA but will most likely be installing with Tommy. The lights already came pre-wired to be on as long as the car is on as well as intermittently blink with the turn signals such as the late model Audis. Since you seem to know a lot about the headlights, do you know if the headlights will fit on a 08 ISF if the cap is placed under the LED board? The previous owner mounted without the cap and instead sealed the hole with 3M film. Please advise.
You just gotta trim the brackets enough to go around the caps, or buy 2011+ brackets. They are about 65 bucks a piece. 08 brackets, even when trimmed, only two of the 3 bolts line up and bolted down. I had the trimmed 08 brackets for a while until my car was involved in a collision. I went and order 2011+ brackets to go with my replacement headlights
Old 06-06-14, 06:13 AM
J2K
Pole Position

The headlights can be mounted without the tabs in place, but the top corner of the headlight will stick up a few millimeters and not sit perfectly flush with the body of the car. No one would probably notice unless they were looking up close, but if you are OCD like me, you will want to fix it so you have perfect fitment.