IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

I8ABMR'S Wild Horse Pass Track Day Videos AND F-Sport rear sway bar track review

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-14, 11:25 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Originally Posted by PatrickISF
Lance, does it make a difference with the '10+ model years w/ a LSD vs previous years that use the E-diff? Doesn't the e-diff use a lot of rear braking to help with that which would cause more issues? I didn't have any issues at AMP running with my stability controls on. The stability controls would kick in occasionally but not that often.
The rears are not the problem. The VSC uses the front brakes to change the heading so you stay on course. When it does this, the fronts get greasy faster, and the brakes take a real beating. There's a reason why the Lexus on my front calipers is now gold not silver. I also had to replace the dust seals on my front calipers because the heat was so intense.

Whatever you do, don't do the pedal dance. It turns off the eDiff and without the Torsen unit, you really need it. AMHIK.

I have yet to wear out a set of rear pads, and I'm over 100k miles now. I have no idea how people are wearing out their rear brakes. Mine are a waste of weight.
Old 06-03-14, 07:24 PM
PatrickISF
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
The rears are not the problem. The VSC uses the front brakes to change the heading so you stay on course. When it does this, the fronts get greasy faster, and the brakes take a real beating. There's a reason why the Lexus on my front calipers is now gold not silver. I also had to replace the dust seals on my front calipers because the heat was so intense.

Whatever you do, don't do the pedal dance. It turns off the eDiff and without the Torsen unit, you really need it. AMHIK.

I have yet to wear out a set of rear pads, and I'm over 100k miles now. I have no idea how people are wearing out their rear brakes. Mine are a waste of weight.
Are you sure your rear brakes are actually connected and working? LOL I have 40k on my car now and the rear brakes have about 5mm left. The fronts are about the same but I replaced those around 30k. Lexus wanted me to replace the rears "soon" ... 5mm is still a lot of pad. I do my own pads anyway, I won't let them touch it especially for the price they charge. I'm just too lazy to do my own oil changes ... I usually will end up with a bunch of old oil that will pile up in the garage.
Old 06-03-14, 07:35 PM
Bigcloud
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good job man at the track. I've done multiple track days in my IS-F at VIR and a ton of track days in my 350z at summit point. However, I don't like tracking my DD so I decided to buy a full out BMW M3 with S54 swap race car and race in NASA GTS2/3. A good track wheel and tire setup will suit you well. Oh I did VIR on two different sets of tires. RE-11's and Michelin PSS. The RE-11's hands down were the better tire. I will only use Michelin PSS for daily driving duties.

Last edited by Bigcloud; 06-03-14 at 08:02 PM.
Old 06-03-14, 08:24 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigcloud
Good job man at the track. I've done multiple track days in my IS-F at VIR and a ton of track days in my 350z at summit point. However, I don't like tracking my DD so I decided to buy a full out BMW M3 with S54 swap race car and race in NASA GTS2/3. A good track wheel and tire setup will suit you well. Oh I did VIR on two different sets of tires. RE-11's and Michelin PSS. The RE-11's hands down were the better tire. I will only use Michelin PSS for daily driving duties.

Thanks buddy ! You've got a great set up and it looks like you have had some fun in your cars too. If I go 285 in the rears I will do the RE11. Love Michelin . Still have to decide. That bimmer looks hardcore. Your F looks very nice. Are those Vossen wheels?They fit great
Old 06-04-14, 07:58 AM
Bigcloud
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Thanks buddy ! You've got a great set up and it looks like you have had some fun in your cars too. If I go 285 in the rears I will do the RE11. Love Michelin . Still have to decide. That bimmer looks hardcore. Your F looks very nice. Are those Vossen wheels?They fit great

Thanks man. I didn't mean to jack your thread though! Yeah the bimmer is hardcore.... 2600lbs with 300whp on tap. It's a monster. I'm aiming to take down GT-3's at trackdays. Then I will go buy a GT-3. My wheels aren't Vossen. They are Vossen knockoffs. They have great fitment and quality. I have RE-11's on there 275/30/19 and 245/35/19.
Old 06-04-14, 01:46 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This looks so fun and you have so much fun too lol. What a comprehensive and nice review on the F Sport sway bar. I have the rear sway bar on both IS250 and IS350 and I agree with you completely.

Since you have put the F on the track couple times, I want to ask what characteristics on the ISF do you like best and least? If you can provide more details on this, it will be great.
Old 06-05-14, 02:33 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FSportIS
This looks so fun and you have so much fun too lol. What a comprehensive and nice review on the F Sport sway bar. I have the rear sway bar on both IS250 and IS350 and I agree with you completely.

Since you have put the F on the track couple times, I want to ask what characteristics on the ISF do you like best and least? If you can provide more details on this, it will be great.
Thanks buddy. Yes, it was FUN !! Feels great to actually drive your car at the limit and not have to worry about cops . As far as characteristics I like and dont like , I would say I like the power and the suspension but the tires are WAY too narrow. I was parked next to a Honda S2k at the track that was running the same size tires as me and weighs in at 1000 lbs less I still dont know what the hell Lexus was thinking by using these pathetic sizes on a car with this much power . In the IS350 or 250 you may not even need to worry about the oversteer as much because the torque is higher in the power band . Therefore not as likely to spin the tires on corner exit . I notice the RCF is rocking 255 front and 275 rear. That would have been much much better
Old 06-05-14, 04:13 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, in that case, the narrow size of the tires become the bottleneck of the F, not wide enough to put down all the power to the ground. I guess then running wider wheels and tires set up will definitely improve your lap time even more. Good thing is, though, you are able to drive the car at the limit and find what the bottleneck of the system is. You mentioned the brake offer excellent performance in term of braking distance. How does it hold up throughout the entire day? Does it fade at any time? How does the pads and rotors look after the track?

I'm so glad Lexus going the track oriented direction with the RCF which is more refined both in power and suspension. I have heard good results from RCF on the track and hopefully some time soon in the future I will see members here running the RCF on the track too.
Old 06-06-14, 02:12 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Just found footage from one of the other cars on the track . If you forward to 4:55 you can see the ISF battle two track prepped muscle cars. Great footage. Probably the best I have seen and its not even mine

You can clearly see that the ISF is faster on the straights but the Mustang just so much more grip with full coil overs and Nitto NT01s at 275 f and 295R. Still pretty damn impressive with these bicycle tires we get with the oem set up.

Last edited by I8ABMR; 06-06-14 at 02:19 PM.
Old 06-06-14, 05:58 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FSportIS
Yeah, in that case, the narrow size of the tires become the bottleneck of the F, not wide enough to put down all the power to the ground. I guess then running wider wheels and tires set up will definitely improve your lap time even more. Good thing is, though, you are able to drive the car at the limit and find what the bottleneck of the system is. You mentioned the brake offer excellent performance in term of braking distance. How does it hold up throughout the entire day? Does it fade at any time? How does the pads and rotors look after the track?

I'm so glad Lexus going the track oriented direction with the RCF which is more refined both in power and suspension. I have heard good results from RCF on the track and hopefully some time soon in the future I will see members here running the RCF on the track too.
There was NO fade at ANY time at all. The track I was on was a more technical track. Some members here go to more winding faster tracks and will get up above 120 at times. My car maxed on the back straight at 102-104 mph but would come down about 35 mph in a very short space. To the point where three other approached me afterwards just to comment on the brakes . I had better pull on the straight , better brakes, but the worst tires.