IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Header Gas Smell

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-14, 05:09 PM
Nate008
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran JoeZ exhaust and PPE headers and the gas smell was bad if. If you have the windows down while driving your clothes and hair smell like gas after a short drive (ask my wife lol). I ended up getting high-flow Magnaflow cats welded in behind the headers and the gas smell significantly decreased and made driving with the windows down bearable. Wife can attest to this as well lol
Old 05-27-14, 08:14 PM
teddert2
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just had ppe headers and the joe z exhaust install tonight. I didn't notice the gas smell when driving, but when stopped it was noticeable when the windows were down.
Old 05-27-14, 09:50 PM
wmjeffreyw
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I am getting the best of both worlds. I have an appointment to go see Paul at PPE engineering and have a set of his famous headers installed. He is going to build my exhaust so I can run either test pipes or high flow cats. Paul had a great idea. He is going to use v-band flanges so the swap can be performed quickly. Once I get the headers and cat/testpipe configuration installed I will post some pics. I am scheduled to take the my F in on June 16th my Birthday (Happy B-Day to me). Most of the time, I will run with the cats on but on track days I will install the test pipes.

Jeff
Old 05-27-14, 10:31 PM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

Errr...
Gas smell varying due to installation or header brand?
A catalytic converter uses metals (like platinum) arranged to maximize surface contact in order to convert noxious gases (like volatile hydrocarbons or nitrogen-based gases) to non-volatile/much less harmful gases.
Remove cats, hello volatile combustion products...they smell.
Old 05-28-14, 06:28 AM
MYISF
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well since my car keeps coming up in the thread I figured I should post...LOL

Originally Posted by J2K
I was outside of Brett's car when he gave it a few good revs, and to my surprise, I didn't notice any gas smell. I thought it would smell horribly, but that wasn't the case at all. Was pretty surprised....
The only time I smell anything and I would NOT explain it really as a gassy smell, is when I first start the car in the garage and it is not annoying but you can smell something??? Once I start driving I have not noticed it coming up again unless I am sitting in bumper to bumper traffic and then again it is not bad and really doesn't smell like gas...it kind of just smells like a new exhaust would burning in...does that make sense???

Originally Posted by ToothDoc
In that case, he's running a little leaner and probably making a little more horsepower! Lucky SOB. Hahaha But also, it depends if the car is still warming up or in full operating temperature. There obviously will be more gas fumes when the engine is cold and running a little richer.
To ToothDoc's point I am hoping this is the case (built on a Wedneday) and I will be putting the car on a dyno soon...

To understand how my install went - I had Lexus of Tampa Bay install the Sikky headers, Joe Z (without Cats) and Joe Z intake (while they were at it)...other than making some adjustments along the way to make sure I had no rattle problems (which I don't) there also was one problem with removing one of the O2 sensors from the old exhaust...however, they thought it was okay and installed it in the new setup but when they threw the computer on it...it showed the sensor was bad so they replaced it. I have had no problems (knock on wood) like I have read in various thread so I guess from this point on I will consider myself "Lucky"...

Matt, I would "go for it" and then see if u get the gas smell and then just be prepared to install Cats...and hopefully your install goes as smooth as mine did...

Last edited by MYISF; 05-28-14 at 11:36 AM.
Old 05-28-14, 11:13 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Exclamation

It also depends on the brand of fuel you're using too...

I've driven behind other F's with NO CATs... I had to roll up my window and switch to interior cabin air..
(For the long drives)

Basically smelling unburnt fuel & fumes being sent out the tailpipes..

If you're sitting at a light with the windows down and the wind blows in an unfavorable direction, it will enter the cabin easily..

Joe Z
Old 05-28-14, 11:40 AM
MYISF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Joe Z
It also depends on the brand of fuel you're using too...

Joe Z
Hmmm interesting...well then Matt u will need to join Costco because that is where I get my gas due to crazy pricing right now...maybe I will run a few tanks of someting else to test Joe Z's hypothsis..LOL

What is the best 93 at the pump? BP? Shell? I don't know and have not kept up with that in a while???
Old 05-28-14, 12:30 PM
Mrd916
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I always use Shell gas station right near my house. This is very depressing right now with all the gas fume stories. My wife would go Lorena Bobbitt on me if I were to have car reek of gas fumes with her and baby in the car. Maybe Tom's kit for me instead of headers now.
Old 05-28-14, 01:06 PM
PremiumG
Driver

I have the same dilemma, I want headers but not the fumes. I've driven behind F with no cats and I can smell it. I have a Borla catback setup. I plan to get PPE headers with the high flow cats. First install will be with no cats to experience maximum horsepower and at some point I will in install the cats. The fumes are just par for the course.
Old 05-28-14, 01:45 PM
MYISF
Lead Lap

I have a questions...is there a big difference in HP gain for the headers if you have cats versus no-cats? Because if not then why not just do the I/H/E with cats???

Matt I emailed you about the TOMS...
Old 05-28-14, 02:41 PM
Nate008
Pole Position

I agree with MYISF. Just get some high flow cats welded in. Headers are much more fun and are a better mod than any CF kit IMO. My wife rides in my F all the time now with the windows down and no complaint.

They also don't cost much either if that's an issue.

I believe it's around a 10 whp loss with cats. Well worth it to get rid of that smell if it's bothersome to you. I don't miss those few extra ponies.
Old 05-28-14, 11:05 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

Here are dynos of my friends F with PPE Headers and JoeZ exhaust and no cats vs my PPE Headers with PPE Dual Mode exhaust run with the valve open and HiFlow cats. Not really Apples to Apples, but the closest I could come. My system with cats was a bit over 6HP less (at Peak) than his with no cats. But, we stayed pretty even up until about 5.5K RPM.

Lou
Attached Thumbnails Header Gas Smell-ppe-exhaust-vs-joez.jpg  
Old 05-29-14, 07:28 AM
PremiumG
Driver

Not a big loss at all...I will do cats with the header install.
Old 02-06-16, 11:07 AM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
Here are dynos of my friends F with PPE Headers and JoeZ exhaust and no cats vs my PPE Headers with PPE Dual Mode exhaust run with the valve open and HiFlow cats. Not really Apples to Apples, but the closest I could come. My system with cats was a bit over 6HP less (at Peak) than his with no cats. But, we stayed pretty even up until about 5.5K RPM.

Lou
Bumping an old thread.

Lou, is that dyno running with the PPE 5" high flow cats that they offer as an option when you order the exhaust?

Looks like only a 6-7whp loss which is not bad at all!
Old 02-06-16, 11:26 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Its take sometime to get rid of the smell of after market headers but when it does , oh man its pretty awesome and now with tuned. Vroooooom vrooooom

Quick Reply: Header Gas Smell