IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Should I keep me ISF?

Old 05-19-14, 08:31 AM
ricky350is
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Should I keep me ISF?

I'm currently working further from home now and it seems this is going to be a long term place. I've been taking my wifes 2014 Camry to work everyday since its 3 times as better on gas and since its a hybrid its free to travel on the I95 Express Lane (which I take everyday). My wife drives my ISF to work since its last than 2 miles from where we live. Now I'm starting to feel I'm paying for a car I dont even enjoy, only on the weekends. My wife takes good care of the car so I'm not worried about that and she has special parking at work. Does it make sense to keep it or trade it in for something I can enjoy like a GS450h?
Old 05-19-14, 08:44 AM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

If the price of gas and the convenience of the express lane is the paramount concern, get a hybrid.

IMO - I would drive the F to work and rack up the miles. Long term reliability is not an issue with our cars and you will get the full benefit of what you are paying for. With that said, I take the bus to work and use the F only on weekends.

Good luck!
Old 05-19-14, 08:52 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

If I were in your exact situation, I probably would be looking for the same car you mentioned... a GS450h. If you've got a long and somewhat boring cruise in to work every day and your ISF (because of gas mileage and lack of express lane option) is just sitting around or being used by your wife who doesn't care about having a high performance car, I'd get rid of it. Sell the ISF while it has lower mileage and you can get maximum value for the sale or trade.

I sometimes daily drive my truck to just switch it up a bit, but every time I take the ISF, I make sure to remind myself why I bought it. Unlike you, I have a fairly quick 11mi commute, mostly highway, but with two really good non-highway roads along the way where you can give it a little gas.
Old 05-19-14, 09:08 AM
ricky350is
Driver

Originally Posted by vbb
If I were in your exact situation, I probably would be looking for the same car you mentioned... a GS450h. If you've got a long and somewhat boring cruise in to work every day and your ISF (because of gas mileage and lack of express lane option) is just sitting around or being used by your wife who doesn't care about having a high performance car, I'd get rid of it. Sell the ISF while it has lower mileage and you can get maximum value for the sale or trade.

I sometimes daily drive my truck to just switch it up a bit, but every time I take the ISF, I make sure to remind myself why I bought it. Unlike you, I have a fairly quick 11mi commute, mostly highway, but with two really good non-highway roads along the way where you can give it a little gas.
Don't get me wrong my wife LOVES the ISF. She begs me not to get rid of it.
Old 05-19-14, 09:31 AM
TranV
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep it and drive it to work on Thursday/Friday and on the weekend if the milage bother you that much. It's really hard for me to drive my wife's car (RX350) after i bought the ISF. She stayed at home with the kids and we only use her car on the weekend and daily my ISF. IMO, GS is a nice car but it just not for me and that is why i bought the ISF (i have the need for speed). what's your excuse for buying the ISF?
Old 05-19-14, 09:34 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

One life to live , keep it or u going to regret it the rest of your life. I've been to this forum for long enough to seen, members here had regretted after they sold theirs F . So keep it , F weekend warrior
Old 05-19-14, 09:42 AM
SeanGTS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did you like the CT200?
Old 05-19-14, 09:58 AM
ricky350is
Driver

Originally Posted by SeanGTS
How did you like the CT200?
It was great. Fully Loaded F-Sport with Nav. But it was super slow. It was a hybrid so what did I expect?
Old 05-19-14, 10:00 AM
SeanGTS
Lead Lap

I'm looking at picking one up for a daily, going to be commuting a lot soon. The ISF drivers seat was rough on my body, hoping the CT's seat is different.
Old 05-19-14, 10:00 AM
ricky350is
Driver

Originally Posted by TranV
Keep it and drive it to work on Thursday/Friday and on the weekend if the milage bother you that much. It's really hard for me to drive my wife's car (RX350) after i bought the ISF. She stayed at home with the kids and we only use her car on the weekend and daily my ISF. IMO, GS is a nice car but it just not for me and that is why i bought the ISF (i have the need for speed). what's your excuse for buying the ISF?
The ISF is my dream car since it was released. I was truly amazed how all my hard work paid off to buy the car I wanted and in the color I wanted. The gas doesnt bother me. I think I just wake up earlier and not take the express lanes to work.
Old 05-19-14, 10:02 AM
ricky350is
Driver

Originally Posted by SeanGTS
I'm looking at picking one up for a daily, going to be commuting a lot soon. The ISF drivers seat was rough on my body, hoping the CT's seat is different.

The CT seats are AMAZEBALLS. I drove from miami to keywest (4Hours) chillin lol. Only cost me 15 bucks in gas, while it was high!
Old 05-19-14, 11:07 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Get a motorcycle like how I did lol...

If fuel economy is really an issue, Keep the IS-F and get a second car for you to travel to work in. As much as I hated the car, my gf and I got a Prius and its been working out well to still keep the other toys. Cannot beat 50mpg in a gas crisis. If your not a hybrid guy, look into some older VW/Audi TDI's as they get 40+MPG. The 4th gen jetta TDI's (2005+) can be had for under 10k. My buddies gf has one and she gets 850 miles to a full tank
Old 05-19-14, 12:11 PM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you don't use it sell it - let someone else enjoy the car - no point of keeping something you never get to have fun with
Old 05-19-14, 12:48 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NYKnick101
If fuel economy is really an issue, Keep the IS-F and get a second car for you to travel to work in.
This. You will regret selling the ISF without a doubt, unless you're upgrading to a supercar. But you said gas was an issue, so just get a cheap beater that's good on gas. Buying a second and more economical car will allow you to:
  1. Keep miles low on the F but also allow you to drive it whenever you want
  2. Save money on gas
  3. Not get bored of the F
  4. Get pulled over less often

This was my mentality when I decided to add the ISF to my stable instead of making it my primary car.
Old 05-19-14, 01:24 PM
PremiumG
Driver

^^^+1, couldn't have said it better myself. I know someone who did what your thinking and he regrets it every time he's in my F.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Should I keep me ISF?