IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Convince me to sell my 335 for an IS-F :)

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-14, 04:18 AM
MYISF
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
Only negative thing I can tell you is that the AFTERMARKET IS NOT THERE for this car.
I have never owned a BMW and have only test drove them a few times (330i and M3) and I think I know what "MisterSkiz" is trying to say above but just like the fact that u won't find or see many ISF on the road (personally I like that) there is limited aftermarket parts for the car and some of the good stuff will have to come from Japan (2-3 month wait) but again personally I like that...for instance even though the TOM'S carbon fiber aero kit for the ISF is somewhat popular on CL...I am (that I know of) the only one in the Tampa / St. Pete area with the whole kit installed. I like the fact that u have to search and work hard to find parts for this car...it makes modding challenging and fun. So then for the most part not every ISF around (the few that there are) have the same mods...not sure if I communciated that exactly how I mean it...I guess in a nutshell the fact that there are limited ISF's on the road and they are not that easy to mod makes them somewhat elite in my mind. Also this is IMHO but I think down the road (if that interest you) this car will be iconic as the first performance car produced by Lexus...good luck with whatever u decide but you cannot go wrong with the Performance/Luxury of the ISF...period...
Old 05-17-14, 08:24 AM
BDNY7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gshyu
I used to have an '08 335i Sedan. I was also amazed by how much a simple tune could do for the car. I first had the JB4 and the DCIs installed. I never dynoed it, but it was pretty fast. As time went on, it started throwing codes, going into limp mode and things started breaking. I switched to Cobb's OBD tune which was a little less aggressive in hopes that it'd be kinder to the car...

I ended up going back to stock, got all the repairs done and sold the car. I thought about keeping it, but the shop warned me that the next thing due to break will likely be the turbos which would cost me another couple grand.

Long story short, the car was great when it worked, but often times it landed me in the repair shop staring at a 4-figure repair bill when all was said and done.

To this day, the BMW welcome "gong" still makes me shudder.

The growl of the ISF's v8 will help you forget about your Bimmer.
I am pretty sure the v8 can help me forget! I have already been listening to exhausts and I never had the courage to buy it for my bimmer but I am liking the Meisterschaft exhaust for this car from what I hear in videos

Definitely not! haha

Originally Posted by imp0rted1
for the guys who used to own n54 and n55 applications:

are the HPFP issues now resolved? I was interested in getting a used 335 to replace my sti
The hpfp issues have not been resolved, they are still there

Originally Posted by Mrd916
Ur on the wrong forum for trying to see if someone would not tell u to trade ur bmw for an F. I'm sure ur bmw boys will just flame u for going to an F cause in most of their minds the F is just awful
Honestly none of them are flaming me at all, they know why I want the F and respect it. Us BMW owners aren't all horrible despite our stereotype haha

Originally Posted by Sean
Your 335i looks pretty sweet. I'd stick with it unless the reliability is killing you or if you feel like you are driving a ticking time bomb. IS-F would be a more reliable car for sure, however when looking at other aspects, which car is better than which is highly debatable and can be largely a matter of taste. You're power is already about where a full bolt-on IS-F should be and I'd want something that is an upgrade in more directions than just reliability.
Well for me it's an upgrade in more than just reliability, it would be an upgrade going from a twin turbo to a nice big NA motor which I have wanted for awhile, also four doors so its more comfortable for me and passengers, bmw interior can't compete with the comfort of the Lexus as well.

Originally Posted by dannyk8232
It's tough to objectively compare a coupe to a sedan....they're both fast, both nice.....do you need more interior space? bigger trunk?
Originally Posted by islandbeef
If you think the 335i is a nightmare, my old E38 740i Sport was a money pit.
Originally Posted by WillRockwe
Even as a past Lexus owner, you don't know the IS-F until you drive one. I highly recommend it.
Originally Posted by Just F Me
Here's your answer. Need I say more?
Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
1. V8

Need I say more
Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
Only negative thing I can tell you is that the AFTERMARKET IS NOT THERE for this car.

If you like tinkering and tuning and seeing what is coming out next you're SOL. Which is a good and bad thing.
Originally Posted by Weapon F
Here are few F with different exhaust setup
10 IS-F fly by in NYC - YouTube
Originally Posted by Weapon F
Originally Posted by MYISF
I have never owned a BMW and have only test drove them a few times (330i and M3) and I think I know what "MisterSkiz" is trying to say above but just like the fact that u won't find or see many ISF on the road (personally I like that) there is limited aftermarket parts for the car and some of the good stuff will have to come from Japan (2-3 month wait) but again personally I like that...for instance even though the TOM'S carbon fiber aero kit for the ISF is somewhat popular on CL...I am (that I know of) the only one in the Tampa / St. Pete area with the whole kit installed. I like the fact that u have to search and work hard to find parts for this car...it makes modding challenging and fun. So then for the most part not every ISF around (the few that there are) have the same mods...not sure if I communciated that exactly how I mean it...I guess in a nutshell the fact that there are limited ISF's on the road and they are not that easy to mod makes them somewhat elite in my mind. Also this is IMHO but I think down the road (if that interest you) this car will be iconic as the first performance car produced by Lexus...good luck with whatever u decide but you cannot go wrong with the Performance/Luxury of the ISF...period...
You guys have definitely convinced me! I am 99% sure I am going with the F, that 1% will be decided when I test drive it and actually get to feel it
Old 05-17-14, 11:45 AM
stratman
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

To the OP,
I have owned an '09 CPO ISF which I traded in for a '12 and both were great cars. The '09 did have a leaking water pump that was replaced under warranty and a bad right front bearing that was also replaced under warranty. The latter was due, I found out, to the car being in an accident. Now, the '12 I drove for about 9700 trouble free miles before trading it in on a '13 C63 AMG/P31/LSD and a bunch of other stuff. A personal decision based on desire as I had been eying these since '09. Anyway, the IS F is more than you may realize: Titanium intake valves, sodium filled exhaust valves, hollow cam shafts with highly polished lobes, forged steel crankshaft with sintered iron alloy connecting rods and lightweight pistons. Plus the engine has a secondary oil pump to force oiling of vital engine parts during high-g cornering. The transmission is also able to withstand 700 + lbs of torque from what I have read. So even in stock form it is a great car that has been built for the track but is fine on the street. Also, in the 2011 Car and Driver Lightning lap at VIR the M3 Coupe with the new sports package did 3:05.4....So did the 2011 IS F on its street tires and both were faster than the 2011 C63. In short, you can't go wrong with the IS F. I rarely see an IS F and since owning the C63 I have seen four other C63s so far. Why the IS F is so ignored is beyond me. Maybe out of fear?
Old 05-17-14, 12:52 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

The ISF build quality and reliability are what sold me. It feels hardcore and it can still be luxurious. The ISF feels like its built like a tank. Like it can take SERIOUS abuse. BMW cant be the ultimate driving machine if its in the shop all the time. I have so many friends with the current 3 series that love them but always seem frustrated with little issues ( mostly electrical) that still have them going back to the dealership. The ISF is a stress free sports sedan that will last and you will not see one on every corner . 3 series is WAY to common. The 3 series is an amazing car but I want a more well rounded and reliable package
Old 05-17-14, 01:15 PM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

IMO, brotha, it'll all come down to getting into an F and whether or not it feels like an ideal fit. These particular cars (and others mentioned in this thread; C63, etc) are all SICK rides and we should feel very fortunate to even play at this price point...most don't have the means, knowledge, etc. to even know what they're shopping for.

If you like the four doors, the interior, the ridiculously orgasmic sound when the secondary intake opens up, the mysterious/rare/sleeper status, suspension, etc. then why not give it a shot? From a pure risk standpoint, the worst that happens is a couple months go by and it's not a perfect fit for ya, and you list it for essentially the amount you paid for it and start the process again.

But I have a strong feeling you won't be able to resist the temptation of selling the 335 and replacing it with an ISF. Until you do, sleep will be lost....daydreaming will frequently occur....work productivity will decrease....plus, since most BMW's are literally available everywhere, all the time, you can always switch back if it's best for you.
Old 05-17-14, 02:28 PM
BDNY7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by stratman
To the OP,
I have owned an '09 CPO ISF which I traded in for a '12 and both were great cars. The '09 did have a leaking water pump that was replaced under warranty and a bad right front bearing that was also replaced under warranty. The latter was due, I found out, to the car being in an accident. Now, the '12 I drove for about 9700 trouble free miles before trading it in on a '13 C63 AMG/P31/LSD and a bunch of other stuff. A personal decision based on desire as I had been eying these since '09. Anyway, the IS F is more than you may realize: Titanium intake valves, sodium filled exhaust valves, hollow cam shafts with highly polished lobes, forged steel crankshaft with sintered iron alloy connecting rods and lightweight pistons. Plus the engine has a secondary oil pump to force oiling of vital engine parts during high-g cornering. The transmission is also able to withstand 700 + lbs of torque from what I have read. So even in stock form it is a great car that has been built for the track but is fine on the street. Also, in the 2011 Car and Driver Lightning lap at VIR the M3 Coupe with the new sports package did 3:05.4....So did the 2011 IS F on its street tires and both were faster than the 2011 C63. In short, you can't go wrong with the IS F. I rarely see an IS F and since owning the C63 I have seen four other C63s so far. Why the IS F is so ignored is beyond me. Maybe out of fear?
Wow I didn't know the F motor was build that strongly! Also since you have had both an 09 and a 12 would you say the price difference between lets say an 08 to 12 is justifiable for all the extras in the 2011+ models such as the lsd, upgraded suspension, and headlights? I have seen a 2008 for as low as $36k with only 36k miles, a 2010 for $39k with only 35k miles and then most 2011's I have found are mid 40k, so is the 8-10k price difference worth it for all the added features?

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
The ISF build quality and reliability are what sold me. It feels hardcore and it can still be luxurious. The ISF feels like its built like a tank. Like it can take SERIOUS abuse. BMW cant be the ultimate driving machine if its in the shop all the time. I have so many friends with the current 3 series that love them but always seem frustrated with little issues ( mostly electrical) that still have them going back to the dealership. The ISF is a stress free sports sedan that will last and you will not see one on every corner . 3 series is WAY to common. The 3 series is an amazing car but I want a more well rounded and reliable package
Yeah I completely agree! Even if my 3 series is faster than the F it is still a dime a dozen and doesn't have the "WOW" factor an F has.

Originally Posted by dannyk8232
IMO, brotha, it'll all come down to getting into an F and whether or not it feels like an ideal fit. These particular cars (and others mentioned in this thread; C63, etc) are all SICK rides and we should feel very fortunate to even play at this price point...most don't have the means, knowledge, etc. to even know what they're shopping for.

If you like the four doors, the interior, the ridiculously orgasmic sound when the secondary intake opens up, the mysterious/rare/sleeper status, suspension, etc. then why not give it a shot? From a pure risk standpoint, the worst that happens is a couple months go by and it's not a perfect fit for ya, and you list it for essentially the amount you paid for it and start the process again.

But I have a strong feeling you won't be able to resist the temptation of selling the 335 and replacing it with an ISF. Until you do, sleep will be lost....daydreaming will frequently occur....work productivity will decrease....plus, since most BMW's are literally available everywhere, all the time, you can always switch back if it's best for you.
Yeah I completely agree with you! I already am guilty of all the above haha. I have a mod list for the IS-F already mapped out and I havn't even begun the part out process of my car
Old 05-17-14, 03:03 PM
scamsel
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BDNY7
Wow I didn't know the F motor was build that strongly! Also since you have had both an 09 and a 12 would you say the price difference between lets say an 08 to 12 is justifiable for all the extras in the 2011+ models such as the lsd, upgraded suspension, and headlights? I have seen a 2008 for as low as $36k with only 36k miles, a 2010 for $39k with only 35k miles and then most 2011's I have found are mid 40k, so is the 8-10k price difference worth it for all the added features?
imo yes. i regret not just biting the bullet and getting an '11. am going to upgrade really as soon as i find the right deal on one. the interior is also much nicer imo since you get the alcantara inserts in the seats, they hold you in much better and gives the car a nice luxurious touch i think.

the upgraded suspension you get in the '11 is very noticeable. you know lexus relentlessly pursues, so you can imagine what they learned in the 3 years it was out and all the tweaks and improvements they added....plus like you mentioned i think the new headlights make the frontend look a lot more updated since the housing is black and it has the cool led strips. dooooooooo it!!!
Old 05-17-14, 03:04 PM
scamsel
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by stratman
To the OP,
Originally Posted by I8ABMR
great summary stratman, and i agree i have started to really beat on my car as i've learned to drive it better, and it just feels so bullet proof and stress free, and the value of that piece of mind cannot be underestimated if you ask me.
Old 05-17-14, 05:10 PM
Compthis
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have owned two BMW's in the past. A 5 series and an M roadster, the 5 series had 50000KM on it and was at the dealer every two to three weeks for many random issues which included the replacement of the automatic transmission shifter and all associated equipment, the tranny seal, constant adjustment of Rpms because when stopped, the car always felt it wanted to stall, no heat AT ALL. engine temp up but after an hour of driving still no heat, the head mechanic told me it was normal cabin temp, bad paint pealing off the roof moldings and stupid little noises constantly that would annoy the hell out of me. A sensor also had to be replaced but I don't recall which one. Never cost me a dime but a lot of time. The car was garbage and couldn't wait to get rid of it. The roadster had a few issues of its own. Head light flicker on and off, rear main seal and the third brake light constantly cracking. The roadster had 38000KM.

To conclude, BMW's are the biggest piles of garbage ever made. I will never own another.

Last edited by Compthis; 05-17-14 at 05:18 PM.
Old 05-18-14, 01:15 AM
AussieISF
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been tracking the car hard, it never gives out. No brake fade, no overheating, lap after lap. Wave to the M3 drivers as they pull into the pits because of spongy brakes as your ISF keeps going. Keep up the service intervals, replace tyres and brake pads/rotors when needed and the car will last you a long time. I find that it's more important to learn to drive the car properly, the ISF is extremely capable in the right hands (especially 2011+ year models).
Old 05-18-14, 06:45 AM
chrisp1
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

spend the money for a 2011 or up. out of curiosity have you ever run your car at the strip?
Old 05-18-14, 06:59 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

has anyone thought about buying an 08 for over 10k less but adding an LSD like OS Giken, someones 2011+ take off suspension or aftermarket suspension, 2011+ steering ECU. Then still have leftover money for I/H/E. Sure you wont have other things like the 2011 gauges, flash based navigation.
Old 05-19-14, 03:22 PM
BDNY7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by scamsel
imo yes. i regret not just biting the bullet and getting an '11. am going to upgrade really as soon as i find the right deal on one. the interior is also much nicer imo since you get the alcantara inserts in the seats, they hold you in much better and gives the car a nice luxurious touch i think.

the upgraded suspension you get in the '11 is very noticeable. you know lexus relentlessly pursues, so you can imagine what they learned in the 3 years it was out and all the tweaks and improvements they added....plus like you mentioned i think the new headlights make the frontend look a lot more updated since the housing is black and it has the cool led strips. dooooooooo it!!!
Yeah definitely sounds like the way to go and I'd imagine a lot of 2011's will be coming off lease now that it's 2014

Originally Posted by scamsel
great summary stratman, and i agree i have started to really beat on my car as i've learned to drive it better, and it just feels so bullet proof and stress free, and the value of that piece of mind cannot be underestimated if you ask me.
Stress free is definitely what I am after!

Originally Posted by Compthis
I have owned two BMW's in the past. A 5 series and an M roadster, the 5 series had 50000KM on it and was at the dealer every two to three weeks for many random issues which included the replacement of the automatic transmission shifter and all associated equipment, the tranny seal, constant adjustment of Rpms because when stopped, the car always felt it wanted to stall, no heat AT ALL. engine temp up but after an hour of driving still no heat, the head mechanic told me it was normal cabin temp, bad paint pealing off the roof moldings and stupid little noises constantly that would annoy the hell out of me. A sensor also had to be replaced but I don't recall which one. Never cost me a dime but a lot of time. The car was garbage and couldn't wait to get rid of it. The roadster had a few issues of its own. Head light flicker on and off, rear main seal and the third brake light constantly cracking. The roadster had 38000KM.

To conclude, BMW's are the biggest piles of garbage ever made. I will never own another.
Damn that sounds like a horrible experience with BMW I don't blame you!

Originally Posted by RecursiveL
I've been tracking the car hard, it never gives out. No brake fade, no overheating, lap after lap. Wave to the M3 drivers as they pull into the pits because of spongy brakes as your ISF keeps going. Keep up the service intervals, replace tyres and brake pads/rotors when needed and the car will last you a long time. I find that it's more important to learn to drive the car properly, the ISF is extremely capable in the right hands (especially 2011+ year models).
Sounds like the real deal man! Thanks!
Old 05-19-14, 04:31 PM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

I don't think buying an 08, then adding all the mechanicals to make it "like a 2011+" is worth the all the potential issues. Changing out the diff, steering ECU, and suspension parts will probably be more than $10k after labor and parts.

Just wait and save a bit more to get a 2011+ with drivetrain warranty at least.

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
has anyone thought about buying an 08 for over 10k less but adding an LSD like OS Giken, someones 2011+ take off suspension or aftermarket suspension, 2011+ steering ECU. Then still have leftover money for I/H/E. Sure you wont have other things like the 2011 gauges, flash based navigation.
Old 05-19-14, 05:12 PM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

not sure if others have mentioned this but when you test drive, switch it into SPORT mode. normal mode lags and you will be underwhelmed.

Quick Reply: Convince me to sell my 335 for an IS-F :)