IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Lexus ISF air compressor problem??

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-14, 08:03 AM
Alwaysgolf
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus ISF air compressor problem??

I was driving home from practice along the jammed 405 freeway heading back home using my a/c and all of a sudden my car started blowing hot air.. My initial thought was that I was low on Freon, but when I checked the pressure it was fine. I even bought some compressor oil to see if it would help.. and nothing happened. My buddy then came over to see if it was the cabin sensor that went bad and attempt to jump the compressor.. again nothing

As we were inspecting my car we noticed that when the A/c is running the compressor doesn't turn on ( no clicking noise ) .

Do you guys think its the compressor? Also would an is250/350 compressor fit on our F's?
Old 05-15-14, 08:05 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

maybe compressor clutch is bad, or blown fuse or relay?
Old 05-15-14, 08:12 AM
Alwaysgolf
Rookie

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
maybe compressor clutch is bad, or blown fuse or relay?
checked all the fuses everything looks good .. I'm 95% sure its probably the compressor.. Do you think the is250/350 compressor works on our vehicles?
Old 05-15-14, 08:32 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,848 Likes on 2,333 Posts

No. The compressor is common to the GS and LS models since 2006, but not the other IS models. More than likely this is a V8 issue.

Did you run the diagnostics on the HVAC? There is a test routine you can run to determine causes. The compressor in this car does not cycle like most systems because it is a variable displacement compressor. What that means is, the clutch turns on when you turn on the AC and does not turn off. They just vary the amount of freon the compressor handles, so the clutch does not have to be as durable as the old style units.

You may have a completely different issue than the compressor. Try the attached procedure first.
Attached Files
The following 2 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
Arein (06-27-18), Vervish (05-11-18)
Old 05-15-14, 12:05 PM
Alwaysgolf
Rookie

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
No. The compressor is common to the GS and LS models since 2006, but not the other IS models. More than likely this is a V8 issue.

Did you run the diagnostics on the HVAC? There is a test routine you can run to determine causes. The compressor in this car does not cycle like most systems because it is a variable displacement compressor. What that means is, the clutch turns on when you turn on the AC and does not turn off. They just vary the amount of freon the compressor handles, so the clutch does not have to be as durable as the old style units.

You may have a completely different issue than the compressor. Try the attached procedure first.

thanks man , Ill try it asap lol
Old 05-15-14, 12:21 PM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow..I had no idea our Nav system displays DTC information.

Digger08
Old 05-15-14, 03:47 PM
9aristo
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lobux always manages to teach something new no matter the circumstance. Thanks for the pdf!
Old 05-18-14, 05:20 PM
mikellucci
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm starting to battle the A/C system as mine seems low on refrigerant with temps not nearly as cool as they should be.

You mentioned you added oil to the compressor? I assume r134a refrigerant vs actual oil into the compressor itself? If you do need to add oil be very careful not to add anything except ND-OIL 8 OR PAG 46 compressor oil.

Also, the capacity for refrigerant HFC-134a (R134a) is stated in TIS to be 400 to 500g (14.10 to 17.63 oz.). Keep us posted!
Old 05-18-14, 09:45 PM
vicsis250
Pole Position

I had a very similar experience driving back from Vegas in the dead of summer with temperatures rising to 120 outside jammed packed with traffic my A/C started to blow not so cold air was seeing my car start tripping cuz it was so hot Lexus in general are not very good in the heat. When I got back I took it in for service everything checked out. As long as I'm not in the heat stuck in traffic it's fine take it in for service and stop playing with what if?
Old 05-18-14, 10:52 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I live in AZ and have no issue. Its hasnt gotten over 100 really..... yet
Old 05-19-14, 10:42 AM
ashutoshvs
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I experienced vibration when I turned my AC on and car was on idle. They replaced my compressor, I had Lexus care warranty so no money was charged.
Old 06-03-14, 01:25 PM
Alwaysgolf
Rookie

DTC 21 came up .. Is that bad or good lol ?
Old 06-06-14, 08:42 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,848 Likes on 2,333 Posts

That DTC is for the passenger's side solar sensor. Possible failure items are:

Solar sensor
Harness or connector between solar sensor and A/C amplifier
Harness or connector between solar sensor and main body ECU
Main body ECU
A/C amplifier

So, the first thing to ask is, did you put some kind of tint on the windshield that would block the solar sensor from receiving light? Is there something you installed on/near the dash that would block light to the sensor?

The sensor is located as shown in the diagram. If it is not blocked, then you'll need to troubleshoot the sensor and related wiring. What was the last thing you did to the interior?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ISF Solar Sensor Location.pdf (77.7 KB, 364 views)
Old 06-06-14, 09:49 AM
Alwaysgolf
Rookie

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
That DTC is for the passenger's side solar sensor. Possible failure items are:

Solar sensor
Harness or connector between solar sensor and A/C amplifier
Harness or connector between solar sensor and main body ECU
Main body ECU
A/C amplifier

So, the first thing to ask is, did you put some kind of tint on the windshield that would block the solar sensor from receiving light? Is there something you installed on/near the dash that would block light to the sensor?

The sensor is located as shown in the diagram. If it is not blocked, then you'll need to troubleshoot the sensor and related wiring. What was the last thing you did to the interior?

Theres no tint on the windshield and theres nothing installed on my dash ... I was thinking it was the temperature sensor but now I'm not sure anymore ... ughhhhh what should i do at this point ?
Old 06-06-14, 10:15 AM
Alwaysgolf
Rookie

http://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.co...862547021.html

should I order this ?

Last edited by Alwaysgolf; 06-06-14 at 12:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Lexus ISF air compressor problem??