IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Quiet down the exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-14, 04:16 PM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Quiet down the exhaust

A little history: 2012 purchased as CPO this past January. From day one, I thought the exhaust was a bit loud and exhibited some drone at lower RPMs. Before I purchased, the last time I'd driven an IS-F was 2009 when my salesman offered me an overnight test drive. I don't recall it being so noisy under 3K RPM.

Since the purchase, the noise has begun to annoy me (it's a DD). There's definite drone at lower RPMs. Further research on this forum, along with discussions with fellow car enthusiasts has convinced me that the previous owner has modified the exhaust. Whatever was done (or wrong with it), I don't like it. For me, a major attraction of a car like the IS-F is the somewhat stealthy nature of it. I love the roar at WOT, but I don't want a noisy car during routine driving.

Should I bother taking it to the local dealer to diagnose? I guess there's no harm in that even if they refuse to replace modified parts. Though, I suspect they'd laugh me off if they find the exhaust has been modified. Asking the dealer to restore it to stock would likely be too much $$.

Should I just find a reputable performance/muffler shop in the area to make the necessary changes to quiet the exhaust? I don't care about the loss of whatever few HP was gained by the mod. However, I don't want to end up with less than stock numbers...

-Mike

Last edited by mikersoft; 05-13-14 at 04:26 PM.
Old 05-13-14, 04:21 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Take it to a good indy shop and have them put it on a lift to see if any mods were done. If so, find used OEM exhaust, go back to good indy shop and have them install it.
Old 05-13-14, 04:28 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

with all the guys on here with exhausts Im sure you could find a used one pretty easy. IN FACT I saw used oem exhausts on ebay !!

Funny how these posts keep popping up every time I think about doing an exhaust. I had my last exhaust taken off because of the droning and the one in my G35 was so loud that it rattled the b pillars and interior panels ( had more than just cat back though...a lot more .lol)
Old 05-13-14, 04:41 PM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

def check the car on the lift. you might even have an aftermarket exhaust that you can sell here and make some money. or trade w/ someone that has the oem.
Old 05-13-14, 05:20 PM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mike, I can look at for you on the 24th at Katie's.
Old 05-13-14, 05:25 PM
ULTSISF
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

U can just get on ur knees n check...snap a pic pretty sure we can tell u if it modded. However if U bought used with a aftermarket exhaust it won't pass VA inspection that's a fact.
Old 05-13-14, 06:21 PM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I had my last exhaust taken off because of the droning and the one in my G35 was so loud that it rattled the b pillars and interior panels ( had more than just cat back though...a lot more .lol)
I know the feeling.. I had a Tanabe axle back on my IS350 for awhile, but the drone during day to day driving began to annoy me so I sold it.. And that was probably less than what I'm hearing now. Over the years, I've driven or been a passenger in more than a few cars with decent HP (been a driver since '86), but I guess I'm sensitive to any spurious noise when not under hard acceleration. Other than the IS350, I've only owned three other cars with after market exhaust. They were small turbo (and one NA) JDM four cylinders. However, the noise never bothered me much. It could be I'm getting too old!

I'm thinking the 8 speed transmission in the IS-F might also be a factor (compared to previous cars I've owned). In auto, it often seems to be in a gear higher than desired in under anything other than very mild acceleration.

Originally Posted by cremaster
def check the car on the lift. you might even have an aftermarket exhaust that you can sell here and make some money. or trade w/ someone that has the oem.
I certainly need to get a closer look, but so far it appears to be stock (from the outside). Though, I've only been able to look when it was flat on the ground (and once up on Rhino ramps).

Originally Posted by kauaian
Mike, I can look at for you on the 24th at Katie's.
Thanks, it might be worth the early morning trip for that (along with the other automobile eye candy!).

Originally Posted by ULTSISF
U can just get on ur knees n check...snap a pic pretty sure we can tell u if it modded. However if U bought used with a aftermarket exhaust it won't pass VA inspection that's a fact.
I'll try to post some pics soon, but as I mentioned, it looks stock to me (from the outside). It could be that cats were gutted or a seal has been damaged.

-Mike