IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

USDM ISF ECU TUNE - FINAL STAGE! 2008-2013 Owner needed!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-14, 09:40 PM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Let's take a walk down memory lane....back to 2012 when everyone was having a good ol' time buying headers and enjoying the potential of the ISF. Nothing but happy modding and grand desires.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...olution-4.html
Old 05-22-14, 09:49 PM
Nigel-JDMParts
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Cronic
Then maybe they should close up shop and stick to racing.

Seems like a **** attitude to have. I'm sure they'll be great to deal with if any problems arise with that attitude.

Basically with what you've said right there it is clear as day. They're basically price gouging the silly American fan-boys just cause. Look how much cheaper the flash is for jdm cars is. You're paying the fan-boy tax.

Nothing worse than a company point blank telling you they're doing you a favor, while overcharging you at the same time.

This will be my last post in here. Best of luck with this venture. It had potential but it lacked in execution.
The JDM ISF ECU tune is never cheap, their tuning cost is NOT like what you said much cheaper than the USDM cars.
With our current option 2 price for the first 4 persons. It is cheaper than the JDM ISF tune after all the expense (paypal fee, shipping cost) are added into the price.
I did try my best to work out on the best price I could.

The MSRP is higher for the USDM Spec, because it is NOT a Japan Spec ISF and they've to get the USDM information from Toyota and Denso Japan.
(Information is NOT free.) They already have all the JDM information available from their Racing Team, so these information is free for the JDM ISF.
You cannot say they are pricing it higher because we are the american fan boy.
Because it is not!

And Yes, this is traditional Japanese Company! That's why 10 years ago or 20 years ago, JDM parts is always hard to get and the best engine or best car is always in Japan.
E.G. GTR R32, R33, R34. The S13, S14 is here in the states, but the engine is not the same.
The JDM Aristo with 2JZ turbo, and the GS300 get N/A 3.0. The IS300 is not the Altezza 3SGE engine.
Honda do not have Civic Type R in the states, RSX (DC5) is a Type-S and NOT Type-R.

I cannot explain, but this is how it is.

The Novel header + exhaust is expensive and the quality is the best I've seen.
Is it overcharging? I don't think so.

Last edited by Nigel-JDMParts; 05-22-14 at 10:25 PM.
Old 05-22-14, 11:20 PM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nigel-JDMParts
I pmed Tugi back and told them the reason why SARD is not offering any discount on the test vehicles. And why am I not able to cover the cost out of my own pocket just to get the ball rolling.
I don't mind sharing it publicly.
In order for me to offer ONE free ecu tune, I will have to sold 70+ ECU tune.
This thread is been a little more than a week and I've got less than 30 people pm me.
And if you read the thread, it's about the same number of person.
I don't think I will sell more than 70+ ECU after all.
Not to get into your business details, but based on the price quote that someone else PM'd me, if it would truly take 70 tunes just to pay for 1 freebie tune then that would mean you're netting only $40-$50 (roughly 1.5%) on each sale? That wouldn't even cover the CC fees for each transaction (unless maybe you're already factoring that into the equation). And if that truly is the case then I can't see how this is even worth your time to promote when you're only clearing that little. With all of the potential work, support, sales follow up, etc, that you may have to do with a project like this, that just seems like such a tiny amount for so much effort.

And as I've mentioned several times, the reason people are complaining about the cost is because at this point they would be essentially paying to be a guinea pig! In my honest opinion, this thread shouldn't have even existed in the first place until at least 1-2 USDM vehicles had been tested and proven. Do you realize what the feedback would have been if you had started a thread which included feedback from fellow forum members along with proof that there are gains of 30-50HP to be had on a USDM vehicle? I assure you the comments would be much different than what you are seeing. You should have contacted a few high profile members in private, ones that are known and respected on the forum, and worked out an arrangement with them for the testing and then come here with the proof to start promoting the product. Starting a thread asking for volunteers to pony up several thousand dollars to be test subjects, also requiring them to do before & after dynos and write reviews - essentially promoting the product on your behalf and at their expense - is not the way that I would have done things. But that's just me, you can do what you like.

Last edited by jleonard71; 05-22-14 at 11:24 PM.
Old 05-23-14, 12:03 AM
Nigel-JDMParts
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jleonard71

And as I've mentioned several times, the reason people are complaining about the cost is because at this point they would be essentially paying to be a guinea pig! In my honest opinion, this thread shouldn't have even existed in the first place until at least 1-2 USDM vehicles had been tested and proven. Do you realize what the feedback would have been if you had started a thread which included feedback from fellow forum members along with proof that there are gains of 30-50HP to be had on a USDM vehicle? I assure you the comments would be much different than what you are seeing. You should have contacted a few high profile members in private, ones that are known and respected on the forum, and worked out an arrangement with them for the testing and then come here with the proof to start promoting the product. Starting a thread asking for volunteers to pony up several thousand dollars to be test subjects, also requiring them to do before & after dynos and write reviews - essentially promoting the product on your behalf and at their expense - is not the way that I would have done things. But that's just me, you can do what you like.
Yes, I mean after all I am very very upset about what I read in this thread.
The profit is not $40-$50! But it is in the single digit %.
I promised SARD Racing the U.S. market is huge and it will sell and SARD agreed to support me.
But there is no free lunch, they are not doing anything for free! I need to put something on the table to get this roll.
Now, I am in the middle, I cannot go back and I can only go forward.
If it can't sell, then I will take the loss and done. No more SARD ECU tuning.

I've pm some people and they are those people who pmed me from the ECU thread that I started a year ago.
They either sold their car or they cannot make the decision right now.
Also, I need different model year. Most people who pmed me are 2008-2009, some 2010. But 2011, 2012 and 2013 is very very few. I don't think there is 2013 people pm me a year ago.
And I need 4 model years, that's why I need to start a thread and get more people to pm me.
The purpose of this thread is to get some people to pm me, then I can find the right person.
Then people start to ask where's the details, what's the price etc etc.
Now I have enough model years and you will see their result soon.
And hopefully, like you said. The comment will be different.

Last edited by Nigel-JDMParts; 05-23-14 at 12:50 AM.
Old 05-23-14, 12:53 AM
Stuno1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ultimately people now know the price and the risk so do it or don't! Stop having a pop at the guy who is potentially delivering a tune you have been asking for since 2008!
Old 05-23-14, 01:31 AM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I want in but there are plenty of other 08 cars willing to provide their ecu. I guess I'll just wait for later
Old 05-23-14, 02:30 AM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MK4Sup_isF
I want in but there are plenty of other 08 cars willing to provide their ecu. I guess I'll just wait for later
Based on the feedback so far I don't think you'll have any problem getting "in". But isn't a free test program or anything like that, you pay to have the tune done and you send out your ECU and get it back in a few weeks. And hope it works, otherwise you'll need to send it back for a few more weeks to get it fixed. So if you really want in PM him and I'm sure he'll set you up.
Old 05-23-14, 02:39 AM
jleonard71
Intermediate

I promised SARD Racing the U.S. market is huge and it will sell and SARD agreed to support me.
But there is no free lunch, they are not doing anything for free! I need to put something on the table to get this roll.

I've pm some people and they are those people who pmed me from the ECU thread that I started a year ago.
Also, I need different model year. Most people who pmed me are 2008-2009, some 2010. But 2011, 2012 and 2013 is very very few. I don't think there is 2013 people pm me a year ago.
And I need 4 model years, that's why I need to start a thread and get more people to pm me.
The purpose of this thread is to get some people to pm me, then I can find the right person.
So are you saying enough people have signed up to get this rolling? That's great! I for one am honestly anxious to see the results, and will probably buy the tune if it works. Just not willing to risk that kind of money on something without seeing proven results first.
Old 05-23-14, 03:13 AM
Nigel-JDMParts
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jleonard71
So are you saying enough people have signed up to get this rolling? That's great! I for one am honestly anxious to see the results, and will probably buy the tune if it works. Just not willing to risk that kind of money on something without seeing proven results first.

Yes…...
Old 05-23-14, 04:18 AM
MYISF
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I for one commend Nigel JDM for at least doing SOMETHING and trying to figure out how to get us more WHP...I also understand the business side of this and how the heck could have they offered this for free? That would have been too much business risk as someone (???) would still have to pay SARD. If NJDM did offer it for free (took all the risk) and it worked then NJDM would have had to then pass all the reserach cost onto all of us and the product would have ended up being a lot more expensive in the end...business 101! Look I don't know any of the people at Nigel JDM but again I commend them for at least trying to do somehting with our ECU's...
Old 05-23-14, 05:26 AM
Pqbrown
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

So much complaining in this thread! We (I am) should be excited about this and I have ponied up the money for this. For me it was get rid of my F and buy a gtr. I've basically done everything I can, except headers, to my F. After researching the gtrlife forum you guys really don't know lucky we are. You think this is expensive? Go look up an akropovic exhaust for a gtr. Now that's paying to play. And on top of it, there is 3 bolt on mods to buy for our car essentially. We have nothing to spend our money on. I'm surprised with as many power hungry members we have that only 2 of us have payed up. I will be reporting back on my gains.
Old 05-23-14, 06:11 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

What I find so disappointing in this thread, is that guys that have already slung plenty of money for other mods are *****ing about these prices. Based on all the whining some of you guys have done, I expected a crazy price. When I found out how much it actually was (which was half of what I expected), I wanted to slap most of you who are complaining. There's no way I could afford to do this right now, but I was very pleased with the price given everything that it does.

Nigel, thank you for making this product available to the F community.
Old 05-23-14, 07:15 AM
Katin2
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pqbrown
So much complaining in this thread! We (I am) should be excited about this and I have ponied up the money for this. For me it was get rid of my F and buy a gtr. I've basically done everything I can, except headers, to my F. After researching the gtrlife forum you guys really don't know lucky we are. You think this is expensive? Go look up an akropovic exhaust for a gtr. Now that's paying to play. And on top of it, there is 3 bolt on mods to buy for our car essentially. We have nothing to spend our money on. I'm surprised with as many power hungry members we have that only 2 of us have payed up. I will be reporting back on my gains.
Agreed I'm excited as well once the test mules iron out the details and show the results I'll be joining.

I remember when Amgone was promising us an ecu and how excited we all were until we realized it was a fictitious pipe dream .

Keep up the good work Nigel.
Old 05-23-14, 08:57 AM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If/when this comes to fruition I would definitely consider
Old 05-23-14, 09:02 AM
szhark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep in mind there are MANY lurkers on this board (ie: me) that are simply waiting to see the results. You post in public forum you'll get public 'opinion'.

Quick Reply: USDM ISF ECU TUNE - FINAL STAGE! 2008-2013 Owner needed!