IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Heads Up !!! You can get wind noise from paint protection film on mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-14, 11:43 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts
Exclamation Heads Up !!! You can get wind noise from paint protection film on mirrors

Had clear bra installed on my car. They had to redo the mirrors and the hood pieces because they didnt install the self healing film the first time. After the tech installed the second pieces I noticed an annoying whistling noise from the drivers mirror. I taped it off and even wedged a piece of thin plastic in the gap between the base of the mirror and the car to see if it would stop. Anyway did a little research and found to my dismay that guys with the 4GS and 3IS are having the same issue when installing paint protection film on the drivers mirrors. As far as they know the remedy is to remove the film. I am assuming it has to do with the positioning or thickness of the film because it did not make any noise with the basic film installed and where it was installed.

I had to share this in case anyone may have this issue in the future. It blew my mind. I just went down to the garage and peeled it off, took it for a ride, and BOOM .....silence . Crazy that a thin film on the mirror could cause wind noise .
Old 05-08-14, 05:11 AM
ForzaF
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Never would have thought that would be a cause, great heads up .
Old 05-08-14, 07:02 AM
Defratos
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

That's odd.

I have 3M protection film on my car (hood, side windows etc...) but no noise.

What is the "self healing film"?
Old 05-08-14, 07:06 AM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow that is annoying. A constant wind churning noise would drive me nuts if i commuted daily on the highway. Would rather just leave the mirrors w/o the film at that point...
Old 05-08-14, 09:18 AM
MYISF
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I had to share this in case anyone may have this issue in the future. It blew my mind. I just went down to the garage and peeled it off, took it for a ride, and BOOM .....silence . Crazy that a thin film on the mirror could cause wind noise .
Thanks for sharing that info...
Old 05-08-14, 09:59 AM
FD3SISF
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never have a noise problem on my F. Have the front bumber, hood, fenders and mirrors wrap. The only problem I have is the wrap is not clear anymore after 4 years.
Old 05-08-14, 01:28 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I had clear bra ( pain protection film on my last 4 cars and have had wind noise from the mirror with my GS350 and my LS460. I complained and the remedy was to replace the entire mirror assembly . It did fix it but what made me think it was the clear bra was that it started right after install.

I am amazed. I came home frustrated as hell and googled a little and found several owners of the new GS and new IS going through the same issue. I went down to the garage and figured it would be a $50 experiment. I peeled it off, jumped in the car and went for a ride and silence. Even in the morning I drove to work and the car is silent again. I shave my head so its windows down for mw 95% of the time until the summer heat, so wind noise kills me.

I just figured this is one of those problems that can drive an owner crazy and its usually a problem that has no cheap solution if the car is not on oem factory warranty.

Just wanted to share with the community because I know it will help someone in the future . There is little else that will drive a person crazy like wind noise and vibrations. Hope this helps
Old 05-08-14, 01:31 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Defratos
That's odd.

I have 3M protection film on my car (hood, side windows etc...) but no noise.

What is the "self healing film"?
Its called XPEL ultimate and it heals scratches in minutes with sun light and heat.

CHECK THIS VIDEO OUT !! IT WILL TRIP YOU OUT !!

Old 05-08-14, 02:18 PM
Cronic
Pole Position

Are you going to put the basic film back or just leave it naked?
Old 05-08-14, 02:37 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I am going to call the installer and tell him what happened. We'll see if they come out and put another piece on the mirror. When they had to redo the hood they made me wait two weeks when it was there mistake . From what I could feel , the new film was placed a little lower towards the edge of the mirror whereas the last piece was mounted up higher. I am just in disbelief that a film .2mm think can create whistling
Old 05-08-14, 03:01 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Typical : Just got off the phone with the installer who has been doing this a whole year and he told me he has never heard of anything like this . He is supposed to talk to the owner and get back to me
Old 05-08-14, 04:21 PM
Defratos
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

wow that XPEL Stuff does looks interesting.

How is it applied onto the car? and do you do that stuff and then the 3M film protection above?
Old 05-09-14, 11:04 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Nope the Xpel is the film its self. There are videos of a guy who takes a wire brush and scratches the film and then leaves a clock on the hood so you can see it heal by itself in minutes

this videos show the people firing gravel at a piece of protected metal. Look at the results.

This is the video that show it healing on its own with no hot water

apparently this is the only self healing film on the market.
Old 05-09-14, 12:53 PM
stick
Pole Position

I have the self healing film on my mirrors, hood, etc, and have never heard this whistling noise.
Old 05-09-14, 01:01 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

the issue is when they mount the piece too close to the bottom edge of the mirror. My right mirror was done higher up and is silent . I can still barely believe that a thin film could do this....BUT IT DID

Quick Reply: Heads Up !!! You can get wind noise from paint protection film on mirrors