IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

New ISF owner wheel cleaning questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-14, 01:56 PM
rselby
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default New ISF owner wheel cleaning questions

Hi everyone...sold my is 350 moved up to an 08 ISF silver with ( black chrome looking wheels) ....my ? is what is safe to clean these wheels with, I have some eagle one all tire and wheel, is this safe to clean these with, never had any wheels this finish before!
Old 05-04-14, 02:05 PM
cameljock
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Car wash soap and a tooth brush. OEM pads cake on the brake dust! I changed mine to some Project Mu NS pads and that helped a lot.
Old 05-04-14, 02:23 PM
rselby
Lead Lap

yeah in the corners there was some build up...what is some that do not dust so bad( does the project NS pads ) not really dust
Old 05-04-14, 02:34 PM
Boma
Lead Lap

The Eagle One all wheel and tire cleaner is a good product to use pretty much for every time you wash your car, but to get all the brake dust off you're gonna have to plop some money on either Iron-x spray or something similar. It reacts with the brake dust and essentially dissolves it; it's safe for painted surfaces such as the wheel itself. It goes on clear and turns purple when it reacts with the brake dust. Supposedly it has a cherry scent but it has more of a sulphury smell. You can find it online at Auto Geek.
Old 05-04-14, 02:34 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Vendors here sell Sonax Wheel Cleaner. Some, including myself, use this liberally onthe wheels. It gets out even the most caked on wheel dust. The only downside would be the smell, but a mask of any sort should be on anyway when coming in contact with brake dust.

Pad wise, there are some that have minimal brake dusting, but you compromise and lose the solid brake bite. I honestly can live with the brake dust, but I need my stopping power just in case of any unforeseen activity that I'll need to hard brake.

Congrats on the F, and post some pics of your ride when you get the chance. Enjoy it!
Old 05-04-14, 02:44 PM
rselby
Lead Lap

great guys....thanks for the info...hope to get some pics up soon!
Old 05-04-14, 02:47 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

sonax wheel cleaner FTW
Old 05-04-14, 04:32 PM
revolut1on
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1Z Colortec is pretty much the same thing as Sonax wheel cleaner except cheaper. Smells the same (horrible, due to it's deironizing properties) and changes to red when it has reacted with the brake dust, but it does do a fantastic job at eating the brake dust and is perfectly safe.

Buy in 5L bottle for savings as you will be using alot of it:

http://www.autogeek.net/german-wheel-cleaner.html

Grab one of these wheel brushes to clean the inside barrel of the wheel:

http://www.autogeek.net/ezdebrfca.html

These little brushes for the corners of the wheels:

http://www.autogeek.net/wheel-woolie...ing-tools.html
Old 05-05-14, 10:04 AM
jermzisf
Driver School Candidate

Congrats!!! Welcome to the Family!
Old 05-05-14, 10:17 AM
MYISF
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations and this how I maintained my ISF wheels and now my Vossen wheels:

1) Wash with Dawn dishwashing soap (does great job of breaking down dust and grease) but don't use on the car itself

2) Use a mitt that covers my hand pretty good and allows me to really clean in corners, etc...

3) Once dry...about once a quarter I wax the wheels (great product is "Wheel Wax" but any wax is better than none)...the main reason I do this is two fold as follows:

a) makes it easier to clean when washing the car as it protects the wheels from the dust as long as u don't let it sit on there too long

b) makes it easier (MUCH) to wipe the wheels off when attending a show or event...I can basically wipe off my entire wheel and brakes with a single long tube sock over my arm.

Hope this helps and welcome to the F Club!!!
Old 05-05-14, 10:19 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I use Eagle One, it's not bad. Just need a brush to get into the crevices where brake dust builds. Don't use Meguiars, it creates a white powdery residue that looks bad. My plan is to get the wheels powdercoated the same color after I change out my OEM brake pads, since they are the culprit for the ridiculous brake dust. This way I can maintain the finish of the wheels.
Old 05-05-14, 02:07 PM
ULTSISF
Lead Lap

I always go by this, don't use nothing you won't use on the paint of your car. When I had my stocks i cleaned my wheels with the same soap I washed my car. No issues doing it that way if you need to get the wheels ckean up good for the first time yes, get some of the items the other members have recommended. Once you get them to your cleaning standards soap/water should be all you need.
Old 05-12-14, 01:49 PM
swoo350
Rookie

I used p21s wheel cleaner and wheel wax to seal it off. P21S works wonders, you just have to let it sit for 5-10 minutes and agitate it with a wheel brush of some sort to get in the tough to reach areas if you have very dirty rims. Wheel wax works very well and as MYISF stated, they make your wheels A LOT easier to clean.
Old 05-12-14, 04:39 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

New rims that will fix that problem lolz
Old 05-12-14, 05:18 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Soap and water followed by Iron X. No brushes of any kind necessary, Iron X gets it all and rinses off.

Quick Reply: New ISF owner wheel cleaning questions