IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Borla Venturis.....do they work to reduce the drone to acceptable levels??

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-14, 02:27 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Borla Venturis.....do they work to reduce the drone to acceptable levels??

I have been thinking of putting an exhaust on the car. I have been looking at the Borla axel back system because I want to add noise and I dont want drama with smog checks ( plus 15 hp difference is negligible considering its about a 3% gain in power ) . I have heard about the Borla venturis that can be added to the system to decrease drone. I've done some research and I keep getting mixed results as to wether they are effective or not.

DO THEY WORK? Has anyone tried it with the axel back or even the cat back for that matter ? I had a Borla cat back system on my G35 and it drove me a little nuts when driving long distances or after a long day of seeing patients all day. I had a Tanabe medallion system on my GS350 and ended up talking it off because the drone was so annoying ( I should say that I live in the hills so I do frequent uphill driving under load ). Now I am at the cross roads again and want more noise but dont want the same BS to happen again. Curious about the venturis and their affect on the sound. Does it make it more livable ? If not I can always go the cold air intake route to ad a little more noise without the drone

Thanks !!

Last edited by I8ABMR; 04-24-14 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-24-14, 04:18 PM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Before you buy the borla axel back read some reviews. Some members had it and got rid of it because it didn't improve the sound much but it did create a lot of drone. The cat back is much better.
Old 04-24-14, 05:04 PM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

I had a catback, I did not like it, I didn't like the sound very annoying in the auto mode.
I used Venturis but no difference for me.
Old 04-24-14, 05:18 PM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

the borla axle back MIGHT get you like 5 horses. many have said the axle back causes more drone than the full cat back and you can only hear a diff in exhaust tone in the lower rpm range. when you get on it, you can't even tell. i've also heard mixed reviews re: the venturis.
Old 04-24-14, 05:58 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the PPE Dual Mode exhaust is for you. Not sure if it's in production or not but it is the best exhaust for those that are sensitive to drone. It's on the more expensive side but it has electric valves that open and close at the press of a button.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...e-muffler.html
Old 04-24-14, 07:58 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Lou has the first I believe. I live in AZ and tey are less than 30 miles from me.

Thanks for the responses guys. I thought you guys were going to say that. My concern is making the car uncomfortable, especially with the windows up. I live in AZ so the windows are up 5-7 months out of the year. I guess I will shoot for a set of new wheels and an intake.

Thanks guys !!
Old 04-25-14, 04:21 AM
Sello
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the borla cat back. No drone at all.. Only sounds mean when I want to
Old 04-25-14, 04:52 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

and you said you weren't going to mod the IS-F lol....

Wheels
intake
exhaust
painted calipers
Wald spoiler
roof spoiler
front lip
Rear diffuser

just some ideas to get you started lol
Old 04-25-14, 08:01 AM
anAgent
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tmf2004

Wheels
Rear diffuser

Ha..Ha.. we need a User status called "Mod Instigator"
Old 04-25-14, 10:34 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Wheels
intake
exhaust
painted calipers
Wald spoiler
roof spoiler
front lip
Rear diffuser

you got me buddy. during the day I say " why would I need to mod this car", then at night after the kids go to bed its ALLLLL NIGHT online looking at parts. I am starting to remember all of the crazy tuning I did to my G35 back in the day and how I made the car uncomfortable as a daily driver because I literally threw every possible part at the car on the market short of forced induction. I think the F is pretty solid on the performance but I may look at some new wheels and even a set of springs ( even though I swore springs off with my GS). The swift springs for this car seem like they are on another level compared to the Tanabe and Tein BS i tried back in the day. I think a nice drop with a set of Voseens and maybe an intake to wake her up below 4k would be a great start. I also have my eye on some of the CF interior parts.

the bug is trying to bite again. Wife has been cool about mods and new cars. Maybe I should just go for it
Old 04-25-14, 02:03 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

i have to agree with you there that some mods can diminish the quality of the ride sometimes but seems many have gone the springs route and are happy with them... I say just keep it simple with this ones.. springs, wheels, lips, roof spoilers etc... this car seems ready already from Lexus
Old 04-25-14, 02:17 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

i have to agree with you there that some mods can diminish the quality of the ride sometimes but seems many have gone the springs route and are happy with them... I say just keep it simple with this ones.. springs, wheels, lips, roof spoilers etc... this car seems ready already from Lexus
very very true. I dont want to start chasing the dragon so to speak and ruin the car. I bought this car because it performed like I wanted my tuned cars to feel like, right out of the box
Old 04-25-14, 03:11 PM
FD3SISF
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Borla cat back and PPE headers was the perfect combo for me. Not to loud when cruising and go to beast mode when you punch it. The borla cat back without headers might be to quiet for some, but it did never gave me any issues on drone. I would say the Joe Z exhaust is perfect for the ISF. I love it when I only have the Joe Z, but when I got the PPE headers it got to loud and uncomfortable just driving on auto. I guess I'm just getting old.
Old 04-25-14, 06:01 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

whats odd to me is most will say they have the drone but then some will say they have no drone. I have never seen or heard of an aftermarket exhaust that didnt drone. What I have noticed is that the axel backs seem to be too quiet and drone. I guess if one were to change the system out the cat back would be better for noise, but then you might have issues when time to smog check the car.