IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

IS-F: 6yrs later, Who's laughing now

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-14, 10:34 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by ICEBERGS
After spanking a Mustang GT the other night the guy pulls up next to me at the next light and asks " what the hell kind of Lexus is that"? I said its just an IS-F, then asks what have I done to it...I told him I was stock and then proceeded with beatdown number 2 when the light turned green. he gave the thumbs up and yell badass as I turned off.....I love the stealth of this car!!!
great post right here lol....

Not only is the IS-F a beast of a car i'd like to see some type statistic that shows how many times Lexus, BMW, Audi, etc was in the shop and the reliability during those 6 years... All these other forums can poke fun at the IS-F and talk down about it but at the end of the day Lexus will come out winning....
Old 04-18-14, 06:25 AM
ICEBERGS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have only had mine for only 4 months now and Im slowly making it my own. I love this car. nothing like the best of both worlds, but also knowing that its pretty exclusive. Im the only one in my town with one so its defintley feels good have people wondering and their mouths drop when I pull up or pull off and they hear the V8 and intake ......Im sure all those fanboys are now quieter than a mouse pissingon cotton!!!
Old 04-18-14, 08:09 AM
scamsel
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ICEBERGS
After spanking a Mustang GT the other night the guy pulls up next to me at the next light and asks " what the hell kind of Lexus is that"? I said its just an IS-F, then asks what have I done to it...I told him I was stock and then proceeded with beatdown number 2 when the light turned green. he gave the thumbs up and yell badass as I turned off.....I love the stealth of this car!!!
ha, 'beatdown number 2'. sounded like a cool mustang owner though
Old 04-18-14, 08:28 PM
wmjeffreyw
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

1 - The whole reason I bought my F is #1 I drove one while I was at the Skip Barber performance driving school at Laguna Seca and fell in love with it!!!!! Secondly the IS-Fs Skip had where beat on by Car and Driver, and Motor Trend prior to them getting them and even though they were beat on day after day the only thing the mechanics had to do to them was change tires and brakes. The staff indicated they had never seen such a rock solid performance car. BTW Skip Barber's words of wisdom to the participants are three simple words "Not My Car" in other words drive them like you stole them and by god that was Exactly what I did. 2 - I went to a Cars and Coffee event in Tucson and I was the only IS-F there not to mention the only Lexus and as someone had already mentioned ALOT of people have no Idea what the IS-F is all about. 3 - A couple of weeks ago I met up with a hopped up Harley. I Know the rider was sure he was going to eat me alive, well the light turned green and he quickly realized he just got F'd. When we pulled to the next light he gave me the thumbs up and said "that is one fast car." GOD I LOVE MY F!

Last edited by wmjeffreyw; 04-18-14 at 08:33 PM.
Old 04-19-14, 05:52 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by daedalus
ISF feels lighter... more nimble. Much more fun around town, sounds so much better. Has a lot more personality than the GTR. GTR is just a really soulless washing machine that can corner at quintuple the posted speed limit without breaking a sweat. But for normal driving you can't get anywhere near it's capabilities which makes it just seem numb compared to the ISF.

The ISF would go sideways anywhere and sound amazing doing so. Always can put a smile on your face. The GTR doesn't make me giggle like the ISF did. Weird sidenote... the GTR is massive. I swear it's almost as long as the ISF and it's way wider. Makes my 996TT look like a miata next to it.

GTR ride in comfort mode is pretty bang on to the OEM 2010 ISF suspension. In normal or R mode it's a lot stiffer.
Thanks for the comparison, daedalus. This is swaying me towards the RC-F.
Old 04-27-14, 01:27 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexura1414
And am sure he was checking you out in his rear view mirror.

On a side note, how do you compare the two cars? I am also thinking of upgrading to the GT-R. How is the ride comparison? Which feels heavier? etc....
Ride comparison is better in a GTR in comfort mode compared to my 2008 ISF. Just shows you how stiff the ISF ride is which, BTW, I did not mind one bit.

The GTR is heavier and noisy compared to the ISF. You cannot fairly compare the two cars because they are totally different from each other and are in different leagues.

If you get attention in your ISF, it will not even be half of the attention you will get in the R35 GTR. I'm talking about pictures and videos taken while you are cruising, interviews when you pull in the gas station/parking lot.
Old 04-28-14, 06:36 AM
MYISF
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wmjeffreyw
1 - The whole reason I bought my F is #1 I drove one while I was at the Skip Barber performance driving school at Laguna Seca and fell in love with it!!!!! Secondly the IS-Fs Skip had where beat on by Car and Driver, and Motor Trend prior to them getting them and even though they were beat on day after day the only thing the mechanics had to do to them was change tires and brakes. The staff indicated they had never seen such a rock solid performance car. BTW Skip Barber's words of wisdom to the participants are three simple words "Not My Car" in other words drive them like you stole them and by god that was Exactly what I did. 2 - I went to a Cars and Coffee event in Tucson and I was the only IS-F there not to mention the only Lexus and as someone had already mentioned ALOT of people have no Idea what the IS-F is all about. 3 - A couple of weeks ago I met up with a hopped up Harley. I Know the rider was sure he was going to eat me alive, well the light turned green and he quickly realized he just got F'd. When we pulled to the next light he gave me the thumbs up and said "that is one fast car." GOD I LOVE MY F!
Great post and I feel the same way...I go to car shows / cars & coffee events etc...and I am usually the only ISF there (only Lexus there)...recently I went to a Friday night show and I am the only ISF or Lexus there and there are tons of Vette's, Mustangs, etc...no one is even coming over to look at our car...I went walking around a bit and when I come back my wife says one of the Mustang owners kids comes running over...looks at our car real quick like and runs back and she over hears him telling his dad..."I told you that was an ISF"...LOL

Well then it gets even better...a guy comes walking up after we have been there like an hour or so and he has a Corvette hat on and he is just staring at my motor (hood open) so I approach him and say "hello"...he says with his hand on his chin "tell me about this car I know nothing about it"...so I give him the specs and he ask "have anything done to it" so I start it and give it a little rev...he gets this shxx eating grin on his face and says that things sounds "Nasty"...he then proceeds to tell me he is the one there with the C7...so later I went over and gave his car some respect. I don't get mad at these situations, I actually kind of like that the ISF is not everywhere u go and part of the reason I have decided to mod it and not drive it daily (almost every weekend though) as I could see myself 10 years from now at some big JDM show with this fine azz ISF!!!
Old 05-31-14, 06:31 PM
stantaur
Driver School Candidate

Have been considering trading my '09 Matador Red in on either a GT-R or 991 (or buying a Z06 outright based on the trade price delta). Admittedly subjective conjoint "spider chart" and 50K-ish deltas for the alternatives are leading me toward keeping the F. Great weekend car, great for long trips, plenty of scoot (12.4 @ 114 with lightweight catback & 20 lb battery), Lexus reliability...

The only downside is, there aren't many places to "trade up" performance / reliability / usability-wise once you're in an IS-F. (Huge deal to autocrossers, as it's mentally that much tougher to trade down a class when selecting the next car...)

Well-played, Lexus. Well-played.
Attached Thumbnails IS-F: 6yrs later, Who's laughing now-wkndcaralternatives_2a.jpg  
Old 05-31-14, 06:33 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

thought you already traded the F
Old 06-01-14, 04:54 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
One of the reasons I love Lexus is how they consistently make German car fan boys eat their words...year.......after year
);-)). It is true. The F has proven itself, and the Germans are sitting on tacks, awaiting the RCF.
Old 06-01-14, 05:42 PM
meade916
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how about all these new cars with the "fake" exhaust tips? When i got my car that's all i heard from these trolls on the internet......3 years later half the new cars i see on the road have the same s##t. Can't fool me, i see that regular black muffler behind that fancy rectangle exhaust that is part of your bumper. LOL.
Old 06-01-14, 09:09 PM
BluISF
Rookie

Originally Posted by meade916
how about all these new cars with the "fake" exhaust tips? When i got my car that's all i heard from these trolls on the internet......3 years later half the new cars i see on the road have the same s##t. Can't fool me, i see that regular black muffler behind that fancy rectangle exhaust that is part of your bumper. LOL.
Faux tips still look brand new 6 yrs later. Unlike my zo6 that required much elbow grease.

Gotta love that.
Old 06-01-14, 10:47 PM
bdkim88
Rookie

Default It's just about the characteristic

We talk about isf with c63 and m3.
Lexus is-f is proved as high performance sedan as what they are ( The lexus ). Comfort can not be easily coexisted with sporty. BUT !!! THEY DID !!! Reliability also can not be easily coexisted with these kind of semi super car. But they did. Bmw m3 is always hardcore. C63 amg is mostly hardcore so dose not give enough comfort. I think a bunch of guys who want to drive performance car might have the same goal or purpose as lexus's philosophy. Zero to 60 time c63's 4.3 , m3's 4.5 , isf's 4.7 is too minor to comparing these car. The one who put on the gas first wins the game. The problem is what I want to share the philosophy with.

Last edited by bdkim88; 06-01-14 at 10:49 PM. Reason: correct words
Old 06-02-14, 06:40 AM
ICEBERGS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by meade916
Steve my thoughts exactly..especially from the bimmer fanboys but yet the 7 series turned around and did the same thing. along with the industry..I chuckle everytime i see it.....
Old 06-02-14, 07:51 AM
Cronic
Pole Position

It's equally as "fanboy-ish" not to be able to admit something negative because it's on the car you own/love so much.

The fake tips are pretty silly. Lol

I was at the dyno two weeks ago and noticed the two operators staring/pointing at the screen, then checking the wideband. I walked over and saw afr was like 21:1 and was like "uh Yea you gotta shove the probe deeper into the exhaust, because those tips are fake" lol felt like an idiot.

Last edited by Cronic; 06-02-14 at 07:55 AM.

Quick Reply: IS-F: 6yrs later, Who's laughing now