tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Congrats on the new ride... definitely a head turner
Old 04-19-14, 11:15 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Congrats. I got to drive a 2011 C63 with 451 bhp. Awesome engine and interior.
Old 04-20-14, 04:31 AM
MYISF
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations on your purchase...to each his own and there is no doubt that the C63 is an amazing ride...

However, not to "stir the pot" but as a relatively new member to the ISF owners group I am curious about a few things when comparing the C63 to the ISF. Price wise if I bought a comparable year ISF and then put headers, exhaust and intake on it (so that our HP would be closer)...how would the C63 and the ISF be so different performance wise (0-60, quarter mile, etc...) and correct me if I am wrong but would I not still have money left over to mod my ISF some more as every time I see a C63 for sale it is quite a bit more than a comparbale year ISF? And as mentioned in this thread reliability would be strongly on the ISF side. No???

Again not to "stir the pot" because if I had the money I probably would buy a Ferrari (but still keep my ISF) or some other exotic that would eat up my bank account maintaining it but it bugs me when people always say how much badder the C63 is than my ISF...I actually ran up on one on the interstate the other day (finally) and he would not go???

Last edited by MYISF; 04-20-14 at 04:46 AM.
Old 04-20-14, 05:43 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally Posted by MYISF
Congratulations on your purchase...to each his own and there is no doubt that the C63 is an amazing ride...

However, not to "stir the pot" but as a relatively new member to the ISF owners group I am curious about a few things when comparing the C63 to the ISF. Price wise if I bought a comparable year ISF and then put headers, exhaust and intake on it (so that our HP would be closer)...how would the C63 and the ISF be so different performance wise (0-60, quarter mile, etc...) and correct me if I am wrong but would I not still have money left over to mod my ISF some more as every time I see a C63 for sale it is quite a bit more than a comparbale year ISF? And as mentioned in this thread reliability would be strongly on the ISF side. No???

Again not to "stir the pot" because if I had the money I probably would buy a Ferrari (but still keep my ISF) or some other exotic that would eat up my bank account maintaining it but it bugs me when people always say how much badder the C63 is than my ISF...I actually ran up on one on the interstate the other day (finally) and he would not go???
The OP mentioned he is in California and most performance mods are not street legal with their stricter CARB/ smog laws
Old 04-20-14, 05:48 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

The C63 looks and sounds like a beast. I've never driven one, but I like what I know about them, and especially the P31 package. Congrats to the OP on the purchase!

To the above poster, I can only speak for myself, but the quality/reliability and gas mileage are two main reasons I went with the ISF over the Germans. I simply trust Japanese cars more, particularly Toyota and Honda. I bought the ISF knowing that it is going to have the same reliability as our Toyota Highlander or my uncle's Camry. I can put 100k worry-free miles on this car and never think about it. Plus, stock for stock, the ISF is actually faster around a road course than the c63, so it isn't like the car is a dog.

That all said, the C63 is a straight beast and I respect that car!
Old 04-20-14, 08:10 AM
MYISF
Lead Lap

Let me go on record saying that in NO way was my post above slamming "stratman" for buying a C63...I too think they are awesome cars and would not mind having one in my stable...heck I love all kinds of different bad axx cars...BUT is the C63 really that much badder than an ISF...especially one that can match HP with them??? Since I have not run with one I have no idea and was just wondering and myabe I should have started my own thread...

Lets get back to asking the OP for pictures...yeah where the heck are they...LOL
Old 04-20-14, 11:15 AM
stratman
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello Everyone and Happy Easter,
A special day indeed. Please understand that I take no offense at any critiques of my decision or of questions concerning reliability, speed or whatever. From what I have found during my research on the C63, the 2009 through 2011 model years did not have as nice an interior as the IS F, did have major issues with head bolts, and everything is an option (even up to now). The tranny was kind of sloppy before the wet clutch trans was introduced. Now, I believe that the IS F will put down about 400 RWHP with headers, exhaust and intake mods. The base C63 puts down more and the torque is very strong. The 2012 - 2013 with p31 package (according to owners on MBWorld,com) are putting down about 430 to 440 RWHP. The speculation is that the real HP is not 481 but about 510. Mercedes-Benz is conservative in their figures and most car mags get 0-60 in <4.0 seconds and the car traps at about 117-118+ @ low 12's or better. My '12 IS F was a great street machine but the one thing that bugged me was the momentary lag when getting on it. Other than that, it is a great car and, yes, it probably is faster on the track than the C63 but not by much (2012 & up C63). And if there are long straights that may not be the case as the C63 is flat out fast. My personal observation is that the 2013 C63 handles the same twisty roads I drove my F on just as well with no body roll at the same speeds (85 or less) and is quite agile considering its weight. I have not got on it yet as I'm still breaking it in but already the power difference between the F and it is big. Oh, the tranny has been worked on and it shift very fast like the IS F but, again, haven't tried manual mode or the S modes. I'll let you all know how those are in the future once it's broken in. Interior wise the C63 is very nice with carbon fiber accents and the side bolsters on the seats are adjustable and very comfortable. Any more questions or comments, please post them good or bad I will do my best to answer them. Almost forgot: pictures! I need to still do this and I will soon (have guests today so I'll work on it on Monday).
Old 04-20-14, 01:17 PM
sr20bet
Rookie

Originally Posted by stratman
Hello Everyone and Happy Easter,
A special day indeed. Please understand that I take no offense at any critiques of my decision or of questions concerning reliability, speed or whatever. From what I have found during my research on the C63, the 2009 through 2011 model years did not have as nice an interior as the IS F, did have major issues with head bolts, and everything is an option (even up to now). The tranny was kind of sloppy before the wet clutch trans was introduced. Now, I believe that the IS F will put down about 400 RWHP with headers, exhaust and intake mods. The base C63 puts down more and the torque is very strong. The 2012 - 2013 with p31 package (according to owners on MBWorld,com) are putting down about 430 to 440 RWHP. The speculation is that the real HP is not 481 but about 510. Mercedes-Benz is conservative in their figures and most car mags get 0-60 in <4.0 seconds and the car traps at about 117-118+ @ low 12's or better. My '12 IS F was a great street machine but the one thing that bugged me was the momentary lag when getting on it. Other than that, it is a great car and, yes, it probably is faster on the track than the C63 but not by much (2012 & up C63). And if there are long straights that may not be the case as the C63 is flat out fast. My personal observation is that the 2013 C63 handles the same twisty roads I drove my F on just as well with no body roll at the same speeds (85 or less) and is quite agile considering its weight. I have not got on it yet as I'm still breaking it in but already the power difference between the F and it is big. Oh, the tranny has been worked on and it shift very fast like the IS F but, again, haven't tried manual mode or the S modes. I'll let you all know how those are in the future once it's broken in. Interior wise the C63 is very nice with carbon fiber accents and the side bolsters on the seats are adjustable and very comfortable. Any more questions or comments, please post them good or bad I will do my best to answer them. Almost forgot: pictures! I need to still do this and I will soon (have guests today so I'll work on it on Monday).
Get the extended mb warranty to get an extended smile. They have some good cars, but out of warranty would be my only worry.
Old 04-20-14, 03:09 PM
Mrd916
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To the OP, if u don't mind telling, what did they give u in trade on ur 12 F? I'm just curious cause I have an 11 F and was seeing what trade in prices are
Old 04-22-14, 01:37 AM
ImportISF
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MYISF

Found this vid over at MBWorld, I believe the ISF has headers, maybe the owner is here & can chime in? C63 in the vid is stock except for a OE tune, which is slightly more aggressive than other comparable tunes for the C63, it is also a non LCI so it does not have the fast shifting wet clutch tranny. Does not look like too big of a difference, ISF did get a slight jump though

Old 04-28-14, 04:04 PM
stratman
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Finally Pictures!
Sorry it took so long but I've been rather busy as of late. I would like to thank BN1ZZLW87 so much for showing how to down load pictures. If this doesn't work please let me know and I will do my best to fix it. So far the C63 has been really good as in no squeaks, rattles or other issues. It does have a deeper in cabin sound than the IS F but not intrusive or annoying. Still breaking it in with only 510 miles but I will let you all now how it does after that. I just wish I could have kept the ISF as it is really a special auto.
Old 04-28-14, 06:26 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Can't see the pics. It does not work for me.
Old 04-30-14, 07:39 AM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stratman
2013 C63 AMG sedan with porcelain interior and fully loaded. My 2012 IS F was an awesome machine but I had always liked the C63. What scared me away from it was the head bolt issue from 2009 to 2011 and the compatibility of the cam with softer metal and the lifters with harder metal that was causing major engine issues. Well that was resolved in late 2011 and the 2013 model I bought actually has the forged pistons, lightweight connecting rods and forged steel crankshaft from the SLS so it should hold up pretty well. This thing is a torque monster and even though it only has 112 miles at this point (bought it with 43 miles on the clock) it is already showing how potent it is. I wish I could have kept the IS F but it just was not feasible. Whoever does purchase this ride will get a very low mileage car that was always cared for.
One of the reasons that I decided to jump on the C63 is that there are a multitude of upgrades for it and many of them are smog legal whereas the IS F performance upgrades are not. Plus the C63 came with all the options including LSD and the P31 package (+30 HP). My wife loves it too and she actually encouraged me to do the swap so it is a done deal. Anyway, I just wanted to say thank you all for all of the great info on the IS F and the "how to" articles as well as the beautiful photos of the mods so many have done. I will still lurk on this site as I really feel a special affinity for the F badge. Good luck to all of you and if you see an older guy in a polar white AMG know that he will respect you and your IS F.
Nice with an I/H/E the IS-F will be pushing around 500hp. Anyway the C63 is a beast on it's own. I'm just weary about the reliability anyway congrats.
Old 04-30-14, 08:13 PM
lexuz125th
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys that's my car running along with my friends C63 with a P3 package I think, when out of no where he pulls out a camera and starts recording. At the moment he has a tune. I only had an exhaust. He pulled away from me. WE did 3 runs again after I had headers done. All 3 runs I was gone. He never ran with me again. Running PPE headers with Borla exhaust.
Old 04-30-14, 09:14 PM
CometVR4
Pole Position

I might can shed some light to why the OP traded. I've driven both the C63 and the IS F. They are both great cars. I was set on purchasing a IS F then I drove the C63. These cars are similar but they are different...if that makes any sense. I felt the C63 is more raw, it doesn't hold back and it's for someone who wants that loud exhaust wants to be heard. Driving the IS F below 3000 you really couldn't tell you were driving a V8. IS F makes more of a roar from it's engine as oppose to the exhaust when the secondary intake opens up but I love the sound of both. I was looking at an 08 C63 so it didn't have the updated 2012 interior. That's the difference between German and Japanese vehicles. Germans focus more on the driving engagement. Japanese wants the interior to be involving and often with its non performance brands the driving aspect just isn't as engaging. Another issue is using the paddle shifter on the C63. It felt slow and delayed where the IS F in sport/m mode fired those upshifts off like it was shooting lasers to another planet.

My issue with the IS F is going WOT in D and even with sport mode there seems to be some delay. With the C63 it's instant passing gear and it's gone. The C63 also doesn't look that different from C350 with AMG Sport package. But on the other hand would an average person tell the different between an IS350 F Sport at first glance? This are minor things to complain about. This is actually the reason I don't have one of the vehicles in my garage. Some days I wake up and I'm C63, C63 and ready to buy a C63 and other days I'm IS F IS F. I lean towards IS F for reliability aspect but the C63 for more fun to drive factor.

Quick Reply: Traded in My IS F for a.......