IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

keep my F or get rid of it for a G8 and no payment

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-15, 09:36 AM
hgill02
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default keep my F or get rid of it for a G8 and no payment

Hey guys need some advice as I got a friend of mine interested in my car. He wants and F and is willing to buy it which will give me about 15k above the loan.

I can't decide if I should keep it and continue making payments for another 5years ($400) a month or sell it and get a Pontiac G8 for around 20k similar mileage pushing around 400+HP and pretty much have no payment left.

Few items of consideration:
1. Planning a baby in about year and half. We do have another car (4runner) but may have to use the isf from time to time. I have seen the thread with the baby seats while front facing seats seem fine in the F and rear facing are a no go or a pain in the *** as u can use the front seat at all with baby seat in back. I've owned a g8 in the past (was totaled after being rear ended by a very big dip****). G8 has plenty of room in the back and was a lot more comfortable on long trips than the F. Took it on a 7 hour work drive no problems. The F gives me back pain after about hr and half.

Our income isn't the biggest issue as we don't have any credit card debt. Only our house and the two cars (4runner has about 10k left on it). Wife will be working full time for another year and half and by then her vehicle would be paid off so just my car payment of $400ish left.

What would u do?
Keep paying on the isf for 5 more years (25k loan) or get a g8 and get rid of payment.

UPDATE ON PAGE 3: Keeping the ISF

Photos of my F and previous g8

Last edited by hgill02; 04-17-15 at 01:31 PM.
Old 04-16-15, 09:45 AM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Dunno....swapping for a G8 sounds a bit loco to me
Old 04-16-15, 09:45 AM
shyguyF
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It sounds like 50% you want to let the F go. Just do whatever you feel comfortable in your mind. Good luck !
Old 04-16-15, 09:54 AM
hgill02
Driver

Originally Posted by shyguyF
It sounds like 50% you want to let the F go. Just do whatever you feel comfortable in your mind. Good luck !
I am definitely torn between the two. The isf is completely modded for my taste and I have nothing left that I care to spend money on and the g8 I had previously was modded to my taste like two weeks before it got totaled (g8 was the only car I didn't sell, totaled instead). Idk man keep going back and forth.

But whichever car it will be my daily driver and it would end up with ton of miles.
Old 04-16-15, 10:01 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

You're going to have to think of your family first. Yes, the IS F is tight in the rear, but honestly, durability, longevity, and maintenance are what I consider. You don't want to be dealing with headaches, especially if you're on the road with the family. If you're looking at more room for the kid, I would make a strong case for an Avalon or Camry.

Like you said, income will be tight, but I'd rather have a tight budget with a family upcoming in a more reliable car than one that has x amount of HP that might break down and force you to get another car sooner than later. A Camry or Avalon might not provide the thrills of G8, but it will more than likely get your kid to doctor visits and the wife to and from the grocery store without any problems. Just my thoughts, mainly because I'm slowly thinking about the immediate future as well.

Best of luck to you and your wife!
Old 04-16-15, 10:07 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

keep the F...
Old 04-16-15, 10:27 AM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Getting rid of the loan on one car would make the most financial sense to me but I don't know of that is the happiest solution
Old 04-16-15, 10:35 AM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would swap for the G8 then continue to put away the $400 for the future car. You will have $24,000 for the down payment and enjoy the G8 in the mean time (especially it sounded like you preferred it over the F).
Old 04-16-15, 10:38 AM
hgill02
Driver

Originally Posted by pheonix72
I would swap for the G8 then continue to put away the $400 for the future car. You will have $24,000 for the down payment and enjoy the G8 in the mean time (especially it sounded like you preferred it over the F).
I don't prefer it over the F. The F has so many bells and whistles and can corner like crazy. For the price of the g8 (20k) it was great car. I can't compare the g8 directly against the F as the g8 is literally half the price.

The F has been my dream car (after saying never again to the m3).
Old 04-16-15, 10:46 AM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hgill02
I don't prefer it over the F. The F has so many bells and whistles and can corner like crazy. For the price of the g8 (20k) it was great car. I can't compare the g8 directly against the F as the g8 is literally half the price.

The F has been my dream car (after saying never again to the m3).
Sorry, i should say slightly preferred given you situation;-) if the F has been your dream car then you should definitely keep it.
Old 04-16-15, 11:05 AM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

just buy a GTR
Old 04-16-15, 11:14 AM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Word of warning, the G8 won't be anything like what you remember. The IS-F will have changed your expectations.

I'm still toying with going back to a Supra!

Loved the one I had when I met my wife, but we needed to get a house, and that meant selling the Supra!

They do look dated compared to the IS-F, but I know I can address that over time.

The tunability is a huge factor. I can happily run an 800HP Supra, but would it be as good as my IS-F? Doubt it.

Just saying times change. I'd probably keep the IS-F if that's a workable option.

If not, I'd sell up and go with a practical car like a Camry for a few years as others suggested.

Nice thing is you do get plenty more chances to buy another IS-F or better once the family and cashflow allows!

Best of luck whatever you decide.

Cheers.

Peter
Old 04-16-15, 11:30 AM
Zelfiris
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If money is an issue, maybe you should sell it and buy a beater to use for a few years. Having the baby will be a change in lifestyle and having extra money in the bank never hurts.
Old 04-16-15, 11:30 AM
Mrd916
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had my 8 month old daughter in my F on a daily basis and her rear facing seat fits fine with no issue. Adult male passenger can still fit in front seat with no issues so if that is ur concern then it's a non issue.
Old 04-16-15, 11:32 AM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Test fitted in the G8 before I had kids with baby seats and was ultimately just as bad as the F.... I just paid mine off before having two baby boys, and kept my tC for daily, and she ahs the SUV.. Sounds like your being smart and expediture is the issue.. Yes as bnizzle said not to keen on the idea of a modded G8 for family vehicle and for daily use.. Sounds like I would get a camry pay it off, and save for toy in the future.

Quick Reply: keep my F or get rid of it for a G8 and no payment