IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Toyo Proxes T1 Sport tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-14, 01:58 PM
BS ISF
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

was going to go that route but I got all four for under a grand at onlinetires.com

pretty damn good deal and I wanted a softer compound tire.
Old 04-04-14, 04:27 PM
2012ISF
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been staying true to the oem bridgestone potenza's on my 2012. Can anyone comment on these please.
Old 04-04-14, 05:26 PM
VicTornin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RE11 are a good choice too..
Old 04-04-14, 09:57 PM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

The OEM Potenza's that came with the ISF is an awesome tire. I would put them above the PSS (and PS2's that came on some ISFs) for all out performance on the dry track.

Just the Potenza's are expensive for the wear rating and wet weather traction isn't that good. PSS' are a very good all around performer, ie track + good wear rating + wet weather + relatively low cost.

Originally Posted by 2012ISF
I've been staying true to the oem bridgestone potenza's on my 2012. Can anyone comment on these please.
Old 04-04-14, 11:08 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by itsmike177
The OEM Potenza's that came with the ISF is an awesome tire. I would put them above the PSS (and PS2's that came on some ISFs) for all out performance on the dry track. Just the Potenza's are expensive for the wear rating and wet weather traction isn't that good. PSS' are a very good all around performer, ie track + good wear rating + wet weather + relatively low cost.
No way.. PSS are better .. I think. I hated my potenzas

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 04-05-14, 08:09 AM
BS ISF
Instructor

Originally Posted by itsmike177
The OEM Potenza's that came with the ISF is an awesome tire. I would put them above the PSS (and PS2's that came on some ISFs) for all out performance on the dry track.

Just the Potenza's are expensive for the wear rating and wet weather traction isn't that good. PSS' are a very good all around performer, ie track + good wear rating + wet weather + relatively low cost.

What? PSS are about as expensive as you can go and are the highest rated in it's category.
Old 04-05-14, 08:58 AM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

OEM Potenza RE050A's (and OEM PS2's) made specifically for the ISF are over $300 each. PSS' are ~$250 each. As stated previously, "relatively low cost" especially for the performance PSS offers.

There is also the ~$170-200/tire range, but then are sacrificing performance. I have ran those sub $200 tires (Hankook Ventus v12 k110 evo, Continental DWS, Kumho SPT) and they make the car less enjoyable as all of them squirm under hard driving.

Originally Posted by BS ISF
What? PSS are about as expensive as you can go and are the highest rated in it's category.

Last edited by itsmike177; 04-05-14 at 09:02 AM.
Old 04-05-14, 10:26 AM
BS ISF
Instructor

Damn I had no idea the oem's were that much!
Old 04-06-14, 06:05 AM
MYISF
Lead Lap

WOW! Great discussion as usual from the CL ISF population...thanks.

I have gone back to my wheel guy and along with us trying to make a non-staggered setup work on my ISF I have also decided to go with the PSS. On the non-staggered setup, I am not going to compromise the car to make it work. Meaning I don't want to use spacers or have any daily rubbing issues. My wheel guy is really working with me to figure out my options (wheels, tires, etc...) that may work with that set up. For instance we have ordered a wheel 19x9.5 +38 (but no tires) so we can test fitment for the wheel first (brake clearance, etc...) before I incurr tire prices, shipping, etc... Once we find a wheel that works (non-staggered) or "not"...then we will order my PSS in the size we need...this is a process but I am trying to go with a setup that has a certain look but without compromising the car...wish me luck!

Last edited by MYISF; 04-06-14 at 10:37 AM.
Old 04-06-14, 10:31 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

If you are running the same offsets front and rear, you will be compromising mechanical performance. Any time you change the position of the wheel centerline from design spec, you change the suspension's performance.

Without doing a lot of other homework, you'll need to hope for the best and determine the results by trial and error. I truly wish you the best of luck, I'd like to run a square setup too, but I haven't put the time into measuring the chassis (I really should do this...)
Old 04-06-14, 10:47 AM
MYISF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
If you are running the same offsets front and rear, you will be compromising mechanical performance. Any time you change the position of the wheel centerline from design spec, you change the suspension's performance.

Without doing a lot of other homework, you'll need to hope for the best and determine the results by trial and error. I truly wish you the best of luck, I'd like to run a square setup too, but I haven't put the time into measuring the chassis (I really should do this...)
Thanks...I figured if I got a non-staggered set up to fit, it is going to compromise performance to some extent...heck even going away from the stock offset will do that as well...I just don't think I will be putting the car in a position to notice the impact...what is important for me at this point is what has to be done to the car to make a non-staggered set up work like suspension, camber, rolling fenders, etc...I guess I will get to a point where it will not be worth it and go back to staggered but I owe it to myself to at least give it a shot and my wheel guy is into helping me while keeping my cost of trying at a minimum.

Not exactly sure what u mean by measruing the chassis...interested though if u wish to explain?
Old 04-06-14, 09:16 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Start by reading this. This is the first step in understanding how to effectively modify your suspension, regardless of what you drive or what you eventually intend to do with the car. AFAIK, no one here has done this yet, or if they have, they're not talking.