IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Notchy Steering

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-14, 05:53 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts
Default Notchy Steering

So while perusing the Lexus Service Bulletins, I noticed an LSB for "notchy steering" on a wide range of vehicles including our beloved IS-F. I know I have personally experienced the steering feeling like it had locked while in a long sweeping turn on the highway, but never thought enough about it to take it to Lexus and complain.

Now I find out there is not only a known issue, but there is a fix! Yeah! Sort of. The fix is to replace the entire steering rack with the latest iteration. This is only valid if you are still under the 48k mile bumper to bumper warranty. I passed that a LONG time ago, and well before this LSB was published.

Has anyone else experienced this? Anyone got their steering rack replaced for this?

I would do this out of pocket, but the new rack is $1600+, and the old rack is worthless since it is faulty and known to be faulty.
Old 04-02-14, 05:57 PM
caveman
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it possible to post a copy of the LSB? What year(s)/vin range did the LSB apply to?
Old 04-02-14, 06:02 PM
shahir18
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by caveman
Is it possible to post a copy of the LSB? What year(s)/vin range did the LSB apply to?
+1

I know there is a problem with the Steering ECU for the early years, but I figured the notchy steering wheel was normal for being electric...
Old 04-02-14, 06:42 PM
torxuvin
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm. I haven't noticed it but I've only had the car a few weeks. Maybe 800 or so highway miles and 200 city. Mine is an 09 though if that makes a difference.
Old 04-02-14, 06:48 PM
shahir18
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is what I have found so far: L-SB-0016-11 (Steering will be notchy or will not smoothly self-center when on the highway. There is a repair procedure.)

Not sure on what years it covers though?!
Old 04-02-14, 06:56 PM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

I remember this EXACT same issue with the 2006 IS350 and 2008 ISF and it annoyed me greatly. Dealers were NO help because the issue occurred at random times and could not be duplicated.

It is EXACTLY how you described it, highway speeds, need to turn on a sweeper, the steering wheel "sticks" a little bit from center, and you end up steering more than required. I also noticed that this issue happened more on hot days or during long trips.

I searched for my past posts and remember the dealership replacing the steering rack on the IS350, but the issue remained.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post4204177

I hope this has been addressed in the later model years or maybe it's just a matter of time before it occurs on all the Lexus autos with EPS?

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
So while perusing the Lexus Service Bulletins, I noticed an LSB for "notchy steering" on a wide range of vehicles including our beloved IS-F. I know I have personally experienced the steering feeling like it had locked while in a long sweeping turn on the highway, but never thought enough about it to take it to Lexus and complain.

Now I find out there is not only a known issue, but there is a fix! Yeah! Sort of. The fix is to replace the entire steering rack with the latest iteration. This is only valid if you are still under the 48k mile bumper to bumper warranty. I passed that a LONG time ago, and well before this LSB was published.

Has anyone else experienced this? Anyone got their steering rack replaced for this?

I would do this out of pocket, but the new rack is $1600+, and the old rack is worthless since it is faulty and known to be faulty.
Old 04-02-14, 06:57 PM
zojirushi
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too have noticed this notchy feeling on my 2008. It became noticeable after new tires. I've always assumed it was a result of increasing the width of the front tires.
Old 04-02-14, 07:15 PM
torxuvin
Pole Position

From the CL TSB search:
Steering - Notchy Feel At Highway Speeds Mar 23, 2011 SB0016-11
L-SB-0016-11

March 23, 2011

Notchy Steering Feel at Highway Speeds (2WD)

Service Category
Steering

Section
Steering Gear/Linkage

Applicability

Introduction

Some Lexus vehicles may exhibit an intermittent non-binding notchy steering feel and/or the steering wheel will not smoothly self-center when driving at highway speeds. This condition may occur when changing lanes or when coming out of long sweeping turns at highway speeds. Please use the following repair procedure to address this condition.

Production Change Information

This TSIB ap [...]

So I guess it could apply to at least the 2009 cars too. I will keep an eye out.
Old 04-02-14, 08:39 PM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sometimes on the freeway I notice the wheel being 'stubborn' for a split second or two..kind of like the tires are tracking with some grooves in the pavement or something. Now I believe I'm not the only one!
Old 04-03-14, 04:14 AM
G9N
Driver

Man I'm glad this was brought up. My car started to do this a few weeks ago. I thought this was indicative of me maybe needing an alignment. Don't SB eventually progress to recalls? I understand wear and tear but I don't think a steering rack is something that should be wearing out. I feel this should be something you could have done regardless of age or mileage.
Old 04-03-14, 07:34 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

LSBs rarely become recalls. They're very different animals and the legal department is very careful about the delineation between the two.
Old 04-03-14, 07:50 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
LSBs rarely become recalls. They're very different animals and the legal department is very careful about the delineation between the two.
It never hurts to ask your Service Advisor to honor the LSB... Since your vehicle is experiencing it now.

Sometimes they like to do the "Goodwill" work..

~ Joe Z
Old 04-03-14, 08:15 AM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Good luck getting any Lexus Dealership in Southern California to acknowledge this. When I had the 06 IS350 and 08 ISF, they dismissed the issue stating unable to duplicate. Calling Lexus Corporate is useless, as they don't do anything except coordinate with the service people at the dealership.

South County Lexus, Tustin Lexus, Long Lexus are the ones I went to and all three either stated it's normal, blamed it on road/tires, and would not look into it any further. Got to hand to it South County though, they DO NOT return your phone calls despite calling over 2 months. At least the other 2 dealerships had the courtesy to call back.
Old 04-03-14, 08:27 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Does this apply to a 2010 isf? My alignment shop & tire shop told me my car sways with the road because of my camber, but im running less than -1 camber..

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 04-03-14, 09:32 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
It never hurts to ask your Service Advisor to honor the LSB... Since your vehicle is experiencing it now.

Sometimes they like to do the "Goodwill" work..

~ Joe Z
Yeah Joez, tell them lolz so we can all get it replace lolz for free of course

Quick Reply: Notchy Steering