IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Moving/shipping ISF to Germany

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-14, 03:32 AM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Moving/shipping ISF to Germany

We received notification we will be moving to Germany in August. So I am contemplating selling my ISF to pickup something not available in the states. Shipping would be covered should I decide to keep it. Conversion from US spec to EU spec consist of very minor alterations. I lived in England about 10 years ago and shipped my vehicle and did not have any issues. However, I was not a car enthusiast at the time.

Your thoughts.
Old 03-28-14, 04:15 AM
IsfClyde
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

get a right hand drive one over there. god knows i would lol
Old 03-28-14, 06:54 AM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

^ ze Germans drive on the same side we do.

I assume you will have to get a dedicated container to get the over to Germany - The opportunity for damage is probably the highest getting the car in and out of the container. I would bubblewrap the entire car.
Old 03-28-14, 07:34 AM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Vervish
^ ze Germans drive on the same side we do.

I assume you will have to get a dedicated container to get the over to Germany - The opportunity for damage is probably the highest getting the car in and out of the container. I would bubblewrap the entire car.
Thankfully mainland Europe drives on the right side of the road. It did take some getting used to driving a lhd vehicle on the left side of the road while living in England.

I did not have any issues with shipping in the past. When dropping your vehicle off at the port to be shipped you walk around your vehicle with someone from the shipping company and identify all damage on a form. Both parties have identicle copies. So I am not worried about damage.

My biggest concern is if I should keep it or sell it to get something I can't get in the states.
Old 03-28-14, 07:45 AM
sleepyray
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As much as I love my F.
If I have the order to go Germeny or Japan... I will try to part out my car and sell it, or sell it for a reasonable price to my friend or family that i know they will appericate it.

Mine is a 2008, and it's the 8th car i owned over my 13 years in the States. IMO thats always going to be newer, better car keep coming out. That's why I will sell mine and try something new and different, heck i would like to get a M3 in Germeny since my friends station there told me they are cheaper . And getting myself something better when i able to come back States few years later.

Again, that's just me.
Good luck with your travel! And enjoy the highway there
Old 03-28-14, 08:11 AM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to consider the gallon of gas is over $8 in Germany and see if you need to pay any taxes for the car for the period you'll be there. Taxes are huge if you need too.
Having the shipping covered helps but it's going to be a very expensive commute.
How long you'll be staying?
Old 03-28-14, 08:27 AM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Gas prices are cheaper on post versus on the economy. We have the option to stay on post which would make the commute nothing but should we choose to live off post that would be a factor.

I remember buying vouchers on post for gas when we drove from Lakenheath to Edinburg. It was nice not having to pay the cost per litre but we had to stop at every gas station and ask if they accepted them prior to filling up as it seemed most did not, what a pain!

We will be there for 3 years. I am seeing a lot of R33 skylines and Mkiv supras... I also thought about the burden of having to sell a car again when it's time to leave if it's not US legal.
Old 03-28-14, 08:36 AM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

Also - it has been my experience that (generally speaking) cars are way more expensive in Europe than in the states. Japanese imports are subject to crazy import taxes and are ridiculously over priced... Not sure if Germany is the same, but that is what I have seen in Spain and Portugal.

I would take my F with me, it will probably be supercar rare in Germany!
Old 03-28-14, 08:58 AM
daedalus
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you can afford the gas over there take it with you. would be a super rare car in europe and nothing you get over there will come close to the performance for the amount of money you spent on your F.

Unless you want to rock some 50mpg eco hatchback and think that will thrill you on the autobahn. Personally i'd want something that can break 120mph on the autobahn.
Old 03-30-14, 07:24 AM
souljah798
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been to Germany twice...take the F with you and enjoy it while your there. I would have loved to have my F on the Autobahn. Sell it before you return to the states, I'm sure you'll get a better resale or trade for it there.
Old 03-30-14, 09:48 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Go to Germany and buy an Audi RS6 Avant.
Old 03-30-14, 10:00 AM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Just F Me
Go to Germany and buy an Audi RS6 Avant.
As of right now I am taking the car with. Nurburgring is not far from where I will be so I will still get to track the car which I am very excited about!

I would love to get a RS6 avant. I think they are beautiful cars. I will be looking for another car for my wife when we get there. From talking with others who are already there the cost of an Audi is almost the same as here in the states. BMW is said to have a decent price drop compared to what we pay here.
Old 03-30-14, 11:42 AM
GriMan
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd take my F in a heart beat if I were to get station there again. I wish I had it when I was there. I'd let it rip everytime I drive in autobahn. Average of 85 mph in it. Better and smoother freeway if you ask me. Gas can be a bit expensive if you go off base. Also Germans will look at you and your F. BMer is cheaper there and you can customize the color of interior and exterior and its free to ship it back in the states. It is tempting. Good luck.
Old 03-30-14, 06:44 PM
Gymkata
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Don't you dare get rid of your ISF...getting stationed in Germany with an ISF is perfect. Fill up on base, and enjoy the exclusivity of an ISF in Germany. Also, use the hell out of the autobahn while you are there. So jealous!!! Last time I was there was in 2002. I only could get a hold of my buddy's parent's Golf Cabriolet....It was able to hit 120mph after 2 minutes floored.
Old 03-31-14, 04:22 AM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

I wonder if KW and Ohlins are cheaper if purchased there?

Nurburgring is only an hour away from where I will be!

Quick Reply: Moving/shipping ISF to Germany