IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

HPDE track day at AZ's Wild Horse Pass Motorsports Park 4/5 and 4/6 !!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-14, 12:05 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts
Default HPDE track day at AZ's Wild Horse Pass Motorsports Park 4/5 and 4/6 !!

I signed up to take the F out on the track in a couple of weeks and wanted to give members in the SW a heads up that there is an open track day with many great events ( including drifting practice )

If anyone is interested in joining you can see the schedule here and register if you want.

https://www.nasaproracing.com/event/

The only car I have ever had on the track was my old G35 and its been about 7-8 years since I have been on the track. Going to start with HPDE again and move up to Solo. Cant wait to push that big motor. Got a new helmet yesterday ( had to fight the urge to get a carbon fiber helmet ), and went open face for in car communication with instructor, heat, comfort, periphreal vision, etc. When I move up I will go full face

Also wanted to ask what GoPro some track guys are using

Last edited by I8ABMR; 03-19-14 at 12:50 PM.
Old 03-19-14, 01:58 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

The instructors here use Chatterbox communications. Open face only makes it harder. I really doubt you want to shout at your instructor over the open windows at 100+ mph. I know he/she won't want to shout at you!
Old 03-21-14, 02:48 AM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sweet! I've been waiting for an open track day at that course since WHP took it over. Look like there's one at the end of May, too. I have never taken my ISF (or any car for that matter) to the track so I'm looking forward to it. Any tips for a first timer?
Old 03-21-14, 09:47 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Start here.
Old 03-21-14, 03:13 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I intend on enjoying the day but there is no way I'm going to drive my car like that for 2 hours. NO WAY !! I want to explore the limits of the car in a safe place but Im not looking to end up needing to drop 1k on brakes after a day, boil the fluid, or to heat up the engine to where its a bar from max.

You are pretty hardcore lobuxracer . ( I have never seen a break pad turn white.) I was planning on doing 6-8 laps and then letting her cool for 30-45 min and then take her out again. I will probably do this 2-3 times and Im out !! This is still my daily driver and I need to baby her a little.

Thank you to lobuxracer for the great write up on track day do and donts.
looking forward to it....but a little nervous too.
Old 03-21-14, 03:14 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jleonard71
Sweet! I've been waiting for an open track day at that course since WHP took it over. Look like there's one at the end of May, too. I have never taken my ISF (or any car for that matter) to the track so I'm looking forward to it. Any tips for a first timer?
Ill probably be there too !! Hope to meet you.

I am getting a GoPro for the track day and hopefully future events and meets
Old 03-21-14, 03:22 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I was planning on doing 6-8 laps and then letting her cool for 30-45 min and then take her out again. I will probably do this 2-3 times and Im out !! This is still my daily driver and I need to baby her a little.
You aren't going to get that kind of flexibility to set your own schedule like that at most HPDEs.... NASA events are typically packed with well defined run groups and a very busy schedule, and as you'll be in the 'green' or HPDE1 group you will have a lot of classroom as well you are required to attend (at least here in the Southeast).

Your first day typically is going to be going relatively slow speed and working on the basics. You'll have 30 minutes on track and then you'll either go to the classroom or be waiting for 2 hours for your next time out on track.

You might find an 'open lap day' at the track looking directly at the track's calendar where you can request an instructor if you want something with a schedule you can set like the above.

Edit
http://www.racewildhorse.com/events2.php looks like these guys rent the track too http://www.proautosports.com/, but have a similar type schedule that Nasa does (except their run group color assignments are different) http://www.proautosports.com/forms/pdf/Schedule.pdf

Last edited by DaveGS4; 03-21-14 at 04:59 PM. Reason: added nasa schedule link for past event
Old 03-22-14, 10:23 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
You aren't going to get that kind of flexibility to set your own schedule like that at most HPDEs.... NASA events are typically packed with well defined run groups and a very busy schedule, and as you'll be in the 'green' or HPDE1 group you will have a lot of classroom as well you are required to attend (at least here in the Southeast).

Your first day typically is going to be going relatively slow speed and working on the basics. You'll have 30 minutes on track and then you'll either go to the classroom or be waiting for 2 hours for your next time out on track.

You might find an 'open lap day' at the track looking directly at the track's calendar where you can request an instructor if you want something with a schedule you can set like the above.

Edit
http://www.racewildhorse.com/events2.php looks like these guys rent the track too http://www.proautosports.com/, but have a similar type schedule that Nasa does (except their run group color assignments are different) http://www.proautosports.com/forms/pdf/Schedule.pdf

Thanks DaveGS4. I looked at the track lay out before but ,like lobbuxrcer suggested, I took a closer look at actual drive footage and the west bondrant track that we will be running on that day is actually not that bad on the brakes. There are a lot of high speed sweeper and few points where the drivers will be extremely hard on the brakes. I will be looking into better pads and rotors after I go through the oem set on the car. Still blew my mind that Lobuxracer's pads went white. Never seen anything like that before. From the looks of those rotors and pads he was dealing with a lot more of the hard stops with sharp turns. Either way track work requires some mods to make the systems taking the abuse to weather the storm a little better. I want to kill these Bridgestones and get the Michelin SS and I have my eye on the Figs 2 pc rotors . WIll make sure to bring some sandwiches and water for the day.
Old 03-22-14, 04:01 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Those pads are Carbotech XP-12s, not the OEM pads. The OEM pads would have melted completely. Mike at Carbotech said CMP is the hardest track in the Southeast for brakes. There are four major braking zones every 2 minute lap.
Old 03-22-14, 05:57 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I was blown away by the photos. That track must be a pretty crazy work out for the brakes and tires. I think my issue is I am still in " baby it " mode since I just got the car 5 weeks ago. Im sure Ill come around. I will be replacing the oem brake parts , track days or no track days. I will look up those pads you were using.

Why did you decide to go with that brand of pad?? How do they work when cold on the street? Thanks Lobuxracer
Old 03-23-14, 10:35 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Carbotech has a good reputation in the MkIV Supra community for track pads, so I called them up, talked to MIke and asked what do I need for CMP. He said XP-12s in the front and XP-10s in the rear. I checked with other track drivers and since there were few other options for track duty in 2009, I went with Carbotech. Mike's comment about CMP being the hardest track in the Southeast for brakes also made it pretty clear street pads would not be a solid choice if I planned to drive the whole weekend.

I would not run them on the street except to drive to or from the track. They put you against the belts with a very light touch when cold. I didn't like them for street use. I did run their street pads for awhile, but have been using the OEM pads ever since I had a weird wear issue with the street compound Carbotech pads.
Old 03-23-14, 11:09 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Why did you decide to go with that brand of pad?? How do they work when cold on the street? Thanks Lobuxracer
You may be interested in this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...struction.html

Lots and Lots of information there.

I run Ferodo DS2500 pads (front) on the street and luv 'em. As mentioned I have slotted front rotors.

Lou