IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

First race in the IS F

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-14, 07:35 AM
JM51526
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First race in the IS F

Drove in the SCCA Rocky Mountain Solo Championship Series yesterday, and placed third in class! What a blast - if you haven't tried this, do. I learned a hell of a lot about how the car handles, and cut some 5 seconds off my lap time, finally getting to third on my last run.

I'm going to do the full championship - I'm hooked! If you're in Colorado come join me.
Attached Thumbnails First race in the IS F-20140316_090737.jpg   First race in the IS F-first-race.jpg  
Old 03-17-14, 10:23 AM
pc1990
Pole Position

Good to hear you had fun...and way to represent.

I see a couple cars in the pic, but what kind of cars were you running against?

I'm sure many members are curious about times, etc.
Old 03-17-14, 10:25 AM
IsfClyde
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

looks fun for sure
Old 03-17-14, 10:46 AM
JM51526
Driver

That first shot was taken early, before most cars had gridded up. There were over sixty entered.

F Stock consists of mostly mid to large V8's and small to midsize rear drive sporting type cars. Other cars in class were mostly Mustangs. There was a Cadillac CTS-V, a BMW M5 and a 335i, and gridded right behind me was a Dodge Challenger. Some of the cars have much more power, but they also weigh a lot more, making the competition pretty even.

I started out in the mid 51 second range, got down to 44.730, which I was told was respectable - it sure was a blast.

They "index" your time against the other classes as well, to give a comparison. My index time was 36.589 for 9th novice. The novice overall winner was driving a fast little Civic Si with an index time of 35.054. The fastest time of the day was a very modified S2000 at 37.530, index time of 32.388. These guys can drive!

I'll see if I can get video next time. You guys should really try this, it's sooooo fun!
Old 03-17-14, 03:28 PM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Ive always wanted to start track racing, but ive always been afraid of the cost and risk to both my wallet and the car. Been playing around with the idea of buying a cheap car to start to learn with for a while now, but haven't really gotten around to actually pulling the trigger.

How safe did you feel racing with others on track? All the youtube videos of high dollar car getting wrecked by kids in beaters have me scared lol
Old 03-17-14, 03:41 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by MRxSLAYx
Ive always wanted to start track racing, but ive always been afraid of the cost and risk to both my wallet and the car. Been playing around with the idea of buying a cheap car to start to learn with for a while now, but haven't really gotten around to actually pulling the trigger.

How safe did you feel racing with others on track? All the youtube videos of high dollar car getting wrecked by kids in beaters have me scared lol
This is why I usually did time attack in my old G35. Id rather race the clock than some dude with a beater and something to prove. Obviously the racing is more exciting but Im a little worried about my cars. One stupid pass by a competitor and you are done

I think its very very cool that the OP did a real race with the F. Very cool
Old 03-17-14, 06:12 PM
JM51526
Driver

Originally Posted by MRxSLAYx
Originally Posted by I8ABMR
This is why I usually did time attack in my old G35. Id rather race the clock than some dude with a beater and something to prove. Obviously the racing is more exciting but Im a little worried about my cars. One stupid pass by a competitor and you are done

I think its very very cool that the OP did a real race with the F. Very cool
I felt very safe - but there were only two or three cars on track at a time, separated by about twenty seconds. Solo2 is solo racing, not wheel to wheel - it's a time trial, or time attack, or whatever. So, sadly, not a real race as in wheel to wheel - sorry if I gave the wrong impression. I've scrimped and saved to afford this thing, and cannot afford to bang it up in wheel to wheel racing.

That said, I'm totally hooked. I want to learn more about the dynamics of the car and driving fast. I've already started looking into another set of wheels to put super sticky tires on, training classes, and the like. In a former life I was a motorcycle roadracer and I've really missed the speed and safety of the track (as opposed to the dangers of excessive speed on the open road) .
Old 03-17-14, 07:47 PM
LOISF
Driver

Awesome! Congrats!
Old 03-17-14, 07:48 PM
FD3SISF
Lead Lap

Looks like fun.
Old 03-17-14, 08:23 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JM51526
I felt very safe - but there were only two or three cars on track at a time, separated by about twenty seconds. Solo2 is solo racing, not wheel to wheel - it's a time trial, or time attack, or whatever. So, sadly, not a real race as in wheel to wheel - sorry if I gave the wrong impression. I've scrimped and saved to afford this thing, and cannot afford to bang it up in wheel to wheel racing.

That said, I'm totally hooked. I want to learn more about the dynamics of the car and driving fast. I've already started looking into another set of wheels to put super sticky tires on, training classes, and the like. In a former life I was a motorcycle roadracer and I've really missed the speed and safety of the track (as opposed to the dangers of excessive speed on the open road) .

I think its great. I was literally going to become a member of SCCA last night but got distracted by ordering a set of the F sport sway bars for the car. I am a NASA member and want to do some more HPDE courses b. I am excited. I just need to find a helmet that fits me in my car. I am pretty tall so I may need to have the sun roof open when I hit the track.

Thanks for sharing buddy. Your post is an inspiration to get the F out ( sorry it was too easy )

Just for reference there a few good book on driving techniques that I read before I hit the track. I found them at Barnes & Noble .

1. Secrets of Solo Racing ( Expert techniques for Autocross & Time Trials ) by Henry A. Watts

2. Speed Secrets 1 and 2 ( Professional race driving techniques ) by Ross Bentley

I learned a lot and they even come in handy if you play video games

Last edited by I8ABMR; 03-17-14 at 08:28 PM.
Old 03-18-14, 04:35 AM
WillRockwe
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like to track something, not my F though. Maybe a used S2000
Old 03-18-14, 07:52 AM
JM51526
Driver

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I think its great. I was literally going to become a member of SCCA last night but got distracted by ordering a set of the F sport sway bars for the car. I am a NASA member and want to do some more HPDE courses b. I am excited. I just need to find a helmet that fits me in my car. I am pretty tall so I may need to have the sun roof open when I hit the track.

Thanks for sharing buddy. Your post is an inspiration to get the F out ( sorry it was too easy )

Just for reference there a few good book on driving techniques that I read before I hit the track. I found them at Barnes & Noble .

1. Secrets of Solo Racing ( Expert techniques for Autocross & Time Trials ) by Henry A. Watts

2. Speed Secrets 1 and 2 ( Professional race driving techniques ) by Ross Bentley

I learned a lot and they even come in handy if you play video games
I'm 6'3", so my helmet bumps the roof, too. The sunroof opening is too far to the right to really sit naturally. I moved the seat all the way down and more forward than normal (which is normal seating for racing) and amazingly didn't even notice, let alone have problems with the helmet.

I'm reading Principles of Performance driving by Jackie Stewart (old school!) now. Thanks for the reading list additions.

Originally Posted by WillRockwe
I'd like to track something, not my F though. Maybe a used S2000
Do it in your F! It's quite safe, and not really hard on the car. Also, leaving it in automatic for the first few runs gives you more attention for all the other stuff going on.
Old 03-18-14, 01:58 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I'm 6'3", so my helmet bumps the roof, too. The sunroof opening is too far to the right to really sit naturally. I moved the seat all the way down and more forward than normal (which is normal seating for racing) and amazingly didn't even notice, let alone have problems with the helmet.

I'm reading Principles of Performance driving by Jackie Stewart (old school!) now. Thanks for the reading list additions.

Do it in your F! It's quite safe, and not really hard on the car. Also, leaving it in automatic for the first few runs gives you more attention for all the other stuff going on.
No problem . Every single Barnes & Noble I have ever been to has these books in the automotive section. Very easy to pick up. I signed up for an HPDE course with the new F. So excited. I need to buy a helmet . My issue is that I am 6'5". I am looking into helmets today but wonder how thick they are. What would you estimate the thickness of the helmet is? What kind of helmet do you have? I am thinking of going open face and simple
Old 03-18-14, 03:42 PM
JM51526
Driver

Hopefully most of your height is in your legs, not your torso .

I got a Shoei Qwest full-face helmet - from my motorcycling days I just don't like open face. Cost $300. I'd say it's about 2" - 3" thick. I don't think different helmets differ appreciably in thickness.

If you buy a helmet make sure it's Snell approved. I don't think any organizations allow ones that are only DOT rated.
Old 03-18-14, 04:17 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Hopefully most of your height is in your legs, not your torso .

I got a Shoei Qwest full-face helmet - from my motorcycling days I just don't like open face. Cost $300. I'd say it's about 2" - 3" thick. I don't think different helmets differ appreciably in thickness.

If you buy a helmet make sure it's Snell approved. I don't think any organizations allow ones that are only DOT rated.
you are right. Has to be SA rated or M rated. I am a little worried since I am so tall. Might have to shoehorn my *** into the car with that helmet on and DO IT !!. Going to stop by a helmet store on the way home to check it out. Guy on the phone said I can take it out to the car to try to see if it fits. I know its not going to be perfect, but hopefully enough to still be able to drive a few hot laps

Quick Reply: First race in the IS F