IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

suspension issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-14, 07:56 PM
dannyk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suspension issue

I have an 08 isf with just under 41k miles on it. I bought it with tein cs coilovers already installed and the previous owner said they were installed with under 10k miles on the car. Well I am having a few issues with the rear suspension now. For one I am getting a wheel bounce/skip when I hit bumps in the road which makes the rear end feel very loose at those times. Also whenever I hit a bump the rears make a pretty loud thump which the frontsb don't do. Finally I had a friend driving behind me the other day abs he said the rear of the car is very bouncy. I am thinking it's my shocks that went out but would really like some input from you guys since it isn't much fun or comfortable driving the car the way it is now.
Old 03-16-14, 07:59 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

It's certainly possible the shocks are not working properly. Tein might be well known, but they're not known for longevity or for consistency from unit to unit.

Have you tried any adjustments?
Old 03-16-14, 08:36 PM
dannyk
Driver School Candidate

I haven't besides just raising them up for the winter. I plan in messing with the dampning but not don't think that will solve the issue.
Old 03-16-14, 08:39 PM
JT2MA71

Received 1,511 Likes on 655 Posts

It does sound like the rear is mostly on springs with very little dampening.
Old 03-17-14, 06:16 AM
souljah798
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running the same coilovers, in less than 1,000 miles the right rear developed a metallic click over bumps. This quickly turned into a pretty good thump on sharp bumps. Had the car on the rack for new tires, low and behold lots of fluid down the shock body...check for leaks on the shock
Old 03-17-14, 10:06 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by souljah798
I'm running the same coilovers, in less than 1,000 miles the right rear developed a metallic click over bumps. This quickly turned into a pretty good thump on sharp bumps. Had the car on the rack for new tires, low and behold lots of fluid down the shock body...check for leaks on the shock
This is what is all too common with Tein. I had a very bad experience with them and my Supra. I will not buy their products again.
Old 03-17-14, 04:14 PM
dannyk
Driver School Candidate

Yea I'm not too happy about this I didn't see any fluid last time I was assisting the height which is when I already had these issues. I might just end up picking up some bc coiloversif these things are shot.
Old 03-17-14, 04:31 PM
wmjeffreyw
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

My right rear Tein CS is starting to show residual oil leaking from the seal. The set has around 15k miles on it. I still have good dampening but I will sending them in for a rebuild soon. You send them to their Ca. facility and they will rebuild them. I believe it is around $100 per shock. If this is your DD this could be a problem. I recommend you ship them in pairs (Both rear coilovers) to be rebuilt so they have relatively the same dampening characteristics.
Old 03-17-14, 05:40 PM
FD3SISF
Lead Lap

I rather stay stock than have Tein suspension on my car. Less than 10k miles on my Type R and the rear was leaking.
Old 03-17-14, 08:24 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by wmjeffreyw
My right rear Tein CS is starting to show residual oil leaking from the seal. The set has around 15k miles on it. I still have good dampening but I will sending them in for a rebuild soon. You send them to their Ca. facility and they will rebuild them. I believe it is around $100 per shock. If this is your DD this could be a problem. I recommend you ship them in pairs (Both rear coilovers) to be rebuilt so they have relatively the same dampening characteristics.
Don't expect they'll be in any kind of hurry to get this done. My experience was more than a little painful with the amount of time it took to get this completed.
Old 03-17-14, 08:51 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Sorry to hear this. I had Tein CST with EDFC on my GS350 and they were great but I got rid of the car at about 60k miles. Seems like Tein might be better for dress up but not as a performance set up
Old 04-18-14, 06:40 AM
Sexy_Lexy
Driver

I have the same coilover setup and have the exact same issue you're having in the rear. It's the shock(s). I had my mechanic (who works for Lexus) check it out yesterday and you can clearly see the fluid leak on my right rear shock as opposed to the left rear shock. The base price for Tein to rebuild is $125.00. If you want a brand new one (not recommended) it will run you $470.00. I'm trying to avoid having to ship mine to Tein and hoping I can find a shop locally that can do the rebuild.
Old 04-18-14, 09:15 AM
lorenr
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Question Coilovers

I'm sorry but I guess I don't understand the reasoning behind this "coilover" business.

What is the advantage besides being able to lower or raise the height of the car? The IS F is already pretty low to the ground, any lower and it seems that some changes will be needed to the cars suspension geometry. Making it any lower and highway pot holes would become a serious concern.

If the durability of these coilover strut assembles is poor, why buy them.

If you want stiffer cornering maybe replacing the suspension bushings with Thermal Plastic Resin type bushings would be better.

Does Koni make a shock for this car. If they don't find some used shock bodies and send them to Koni so they can put their shocks in them.

Just curious

Loren

Old 04-19-14, 05:17 PM
dannyk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sexy_Lexy
I have the same coilover setup and have the exact same issue you're having in the rear. It's the shock(s). I had my mechanic (who works for Lexus) check it out yesterday and you can clearly see the fluid leak on my right rear shock as opposed to the left rear shock. The base price for Tein to rebuild is $125.00. If you want a brand new one (not recommended) it will run you $470.00. I'm trying to avoid having to ship mine to Tein and hoping I can find a shop locally that can do the rebuild.
I didn't see any fluid leak on my car, however it seems like both of the rear ones are done. I ended up just order a new set of BC coils with swift springs to change it up instead of dealing with shipping them out back to tein and waiting for the rebuild. From what I understood when I called them was that the starting price for the rebuild was 125.00 and goes up from there depending what needs to get done or replaced, that is why I decided to get a new set of coils.
Old 04-25-14, 08:38 AM
wmjeffreyw
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

My right rear Tein CS went from a occasional drop of oil on my garage floor to a puddle, so I shipped it out to Tein to be rebuilt. It is a little concerning that I have to rebuild a CO that is only 2.5 years old with 15k easy miles on it. Oh well I guess that is the price you pay. I bought the car with the Tein suspension. If I have additional COs leak I will likely look into either reinstalling the stock suspension or a different brand.

The rep with Tein indicated this was the first time he had heard of the CSs leaking prematurely. I told him he needs to do a little research on the inter web to quickly realize I am not the only one. BTW when I pulled the CO it's rod and oil seal looked good and it appeared the oil was leaking from around where the strut's upper cap screws into the housing.

Quick Reply: suspension issue