IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

PPE header & CEL

Old 03-14-14, 08:30 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Seems like this is getting more common. I have read about this on another forum
I have never heard of this happening on a non-header ISF....so don't worry about this happening if you're bone stock.
Old 03-17-14, 11:54 AM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

replaced the A/F sensor from my old headers and now my CEL is gone. BUT, I did notice something. I'll start a new thread about A/F sensors and headers...
Old 03-17-14, 03:51 PM
IsFast3r
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This has been happening to my F also. Ive had the PPE headers in for about a year now with no CEL or problems til now. The car has been sitting basically all winter, started every few weeks. First chance I got to drive it, after 30 min the CEL came on, on the drive (approx. 3 miles) the CEL went away. Few weeks after that same thing, after another short 3-5 mile drive it disappeared and reappeared again. Limp mode each time. When I installed the ppe I put in brand new A/F sensors, is it possible to go bad after 1 yr? maybe its the old gas?
Old 03-18-14, 07:34 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

I replaced my AF sensor and it went away... but then it came back again and the same code again!!! Now what do I do? Go back to stock headers?
Old 03-19-14, 06:31 AM
sleepyray
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

oh no.... now this is scary to see all the CEL poping up i just had my PPE put on 3 months ago....
i gonna subscribe this thread... please keep us posted on what the issue is....best wish to those who having this issue.
Old 03-19-14, 09:26 AM
PPEHeaders
Sponsor

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ToothDoc
I replaced my AF sensor and it went away... but then it came back again and the same code again!!! Now what do I do? Go back to stock headers?
What is the code you are getting?
Old 03-19-14, 07:53 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

p2241 Low pumping something... bank 2 sensor 1
Old 03-19-14, 08:24 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,837 Likes on 2,326 Posts

Anything sensor 1 (bank 1 or 2, doesn't matter) is not related to the O2 sim at all. Sensor 1 on both sides is the wideband sensor.
Originally Posted by TIS
Open or short in air fuel ratio sensor (bank 1, 2 sensor 1) circuit
• Air fuel ratio sensor (bank 1, 2 sensor 1)
• ECM
I'd be checking for mechanical damage to the sensor, or a wiring problem, like the wire touching something hot and getting the insulation melted. Was it install with the right tools to the right torque setting? Over torque will damage the sensor the same as a sparkplug.
Old 03-19-14, 08:44 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

It was fine for a 1 1/2 years. I replaced it with the original one (on the old headers) and it still gave me the code. Next test is to swap right and left so see if I still get Bank 2 vs. Bank 1.
Old 03-20-14, 07:40 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Mines just came on this morning and like the op describe it was raining yesterday. Only thing I can think of was that I drove over a puddle of water and after that it was acting funny and went to limp mode. I will check back once I get off of work and scan my car for the codes to see what is coming up. Hopefully it goes away, crossing my fingers.
Old 03-20-14, 10:49 AM
Weapon F

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

This has happened 5 times in last 2yrs since installing my PPE twice during summer months first year and same thing second year and once this past Dec, I've changed O2 and AF sensors but still having issue. Each time I cleared it with my scan tool and would go for nearly year before issue popping up again. When it happens again I'll order new O2 Conditioner from PPE.
Old 03-20-14, 11:41 AM
awkkwrd
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil Teo
Mines just came on this morning and like the op describe it was raining yesterday. Only thing I can think of was that I drove over a puddle of water and after that it was acting funny and went to limp mode. I will check back once I get off of work and scan my car for the codes to see what is coming up. Hopefully it goes away, crossing my fingers.
For mine, water got into the connector for the O2 sensor and it corroded blablalbaa we cleaned it at a bit and it came back on after i started the car a second time after resetting ecu. I'm guessing the O2 is ruined now so i ordered a new one. I'm not mechanically inclined so that's my uneducated description lol.
Old 03-20-14, 11:46 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

The connectors and the device itself need to be protected from water. If water gets in the sensor, it will not work. If water gets in the connector(s) it will fail too.
Old 03-20-14, 11:51 AM
awkkwrd
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lobuxracer, what's the best way to protect the connector from water? Friend said to use a little bit of grease
Old 03-20-14, 11:58 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

There is normally a red rubber (nitrile) gasket in the connector to keep water out. I would inspect the connector and make sure this gasket is in place and sealing correctly. If it is not, either order a new connector from Lexus (90980-10869) for the harness end or if you want to try going cheap, get some connector grease and put in in the connection. Ford used to have some stuff for their
ignition modules ignition modules
, and way back in the early days of motorcycle engine management, the Japanese companies uses this as well.

Alternates for the connectors (if you know exactly what you are looking for) are http://www.newunitedracetech.com/shop/.

It looks like a Yazaki connector - http://connectors-catalog.sys.yzk.co...list&select=15

The sensor end appears to be http://connectors-catalog.sys.yzk.co...tail&select=15

Might also be Sumitomo - http://easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__...SMSL/smsl.html Look at the 4P connector...

Last edited by lobuxracer; 03-20-14 at 12:26 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PPE header & CEL