IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Harsher but faster shifts in manual and sport mode

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-14, 12:54 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Harsher but faster shifts in manual and sport mode

Hey guys I have noticed in the rare occasion that I put the car in sport AND manual mode ( usually only drive in sport and use the paddles if I feel like it ) the car seems to shift fatser and harder. you feel the shifts whereas with just sport it shifts like my other cars did. It does it if the car is warm and it does it regardless of rpm range. I am assuming this is just the lighting fast shift that accompanies the sport with the manual mode. Is this normal?? Common? Thanks guys

Kind of reminds me of the way the Aventador will shift harder and faster in sport mode.
Old 03-11-14, 01:16 PM
9aristo
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://bit.ly/1hamIw1

first link sums it up with 3-4 posts.
Old 03-11-14, 01:38 PM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

Yes it is normal. Quickest/harshest shifts happen in sport/manual mode.
Old 03-11-14, 03:01 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 9aristo
http://bit.ly/1hamIw1

first link sums it up with 3-4 posts.
Originally Posted by Vervish
Yes it is normal. Quickest/harshest shifts happen in sport/manual mode.
Thanks for the responses guys. I read the thread but it only gives me what its doing on the tech side. I just wanted to know if the cars are supossed to shift more harsh and faster in the manual and sport mode
Old 03-11-14, 03:10 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

not sure if trolling..
Old 03-11-14, 03:18 PM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Thanks for the responses guys. I read the thread but it only gives me what its doing on the tech side. I just wanted to know if the cars are supossed to shift more harsh and faster in the manual and sport mode
Not harsh, "tactile". And yes, the behavior is intended.

"The IS F turns this idea on its head by employing lockup in all gears except first when in manual mode. This eliminates any power loss from torque converter from 2nd through 8th gear while preserving desirable torque multiplication in first gear for stunning launch acceleration. The result is a direct feel unlike any other automatic, and right now response to the throttle.

This lockup scenario surely creates excessive shift shock, you say? The intentional result is much more in the “useful feedback” category than shock. And remember we’re still in manual mode; Shifts are quite smooth and quick in auto mode but manual is so addicting, you may never look back."

Source
Old 03-11-14, 06:15 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ISFpat
not sure if trolling..
LOL...Trolling with over 18,000 posts and three high end Lexus vehicles??. That is hilarious. Trying to get a feel for whats normal brother, like everyone else who just bought one.

Originally Posted by Shinobi-X
Not harsh, "tactile". And yes, the behavior is intended.

"The IS F turns this idea on its head by employing lockup in all gears except first when in manual mode. This eliminates any power loss from torque converter from 2nd through 8th gear while preserving desirable torque multiplication in first gear for stunning launch acceleration. The result is a direct feel unlike any other automatic, and right now response to the throttle.

This lockup scenario surely creates excessive shift shock, you say? The intentional result is much more in the “useful feedback” category than shock. And remember we’re still in manual mode; Shifts are quite smooth and quick in auto mode but manual is so addicting, you may never look back."

Source
Thank you kindly for the response buddy. The more I research the more I realize this car is bulitt proof. Not much goes wrong. After driving my LS460 for close to 4 years I am used to everything being numb and quiet . You don't feel or hear anything in that LS. Even with 22" wheels it was still a sensory deprivation vehicle. Great most of the time but no fun other than a blast from a stop light or a high speed sprint

Last edited by I8ABMR; 03-11-14 at 07:55 PM.
Old 03-11-14, 06:32 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it goes just as fast and shifts just as hard in "normal" mode with manual shifting. Just the throttle isn't as sensitive.
Old 03-11-14, 07:59 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

so it seems that shifting into manual regardless of sport being on is what makes the car shift so hard. I can tell you regardless of normal or not the LS guys would be freaking out at a car that shifts that hard.lol I am loving the raw and direct feel of the ISF. So happy I stepped into a real sports sedan. This ISF is truly everything I have ever tried to tune ALL of my previous vehicles to try to be like ( in one way or another).

I am a little in love with my ISF!!
Old 03-11-14, 09:36 PM
9aristo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
LOL...Trolling with over 18,000 posts and three high end Lexus vehicles??. That is hilarious. Trying to get a feel for whats normal brother, like everyone else who just bought one.
i'd have 18,000 posts too if I didn't use the search function, and assumed that my question was never asked before.
Old 03-11-14, 10:24 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

i'd have 18,000 posts too if I didn't use the search function, and assumed that my question was never asked before.
Thats a lot of questions.

All I was trying to imply is that I didn't just join yesterday to come on a forum to stir the pot, be disruptive, or antiLexus. I was genuinely trying to find out why the car felt like crap when it would shift in manual mode. I understand now thats its related to the performance of the drivetrain, BUT to me it felt like something was wrong. The LS460 I had was far smoother. It was all about smooth and quiet operation. Sorry about the dumb questions. Its just a bit foreign to me coming from literally the other end of the Lexus lineup spectrum.

Thanks for the info guys.

BTW I did search for harsh shifting and came up with nothing good.
Old 03-11-14, 10:41 PM
ilv1004s
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

give the guy a break wtf
Old 03-12-14, 04:28 AM
WillRockwe
Pole Position

Sport mode also changes steering response, the wheel feels tighter and more responsive. I noticed this on my car and then found confirmation: "In Sport mode, VDIM increases steering feel and allows higher dynamic thresholds before intervening with confidence."
Old 03-12-14, 04:37 AM
Defratos
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

Yup I drive my car 80% sports mode and manually shift......it's the only way to drive the ISF properly for my personal preference
Old 03-12-14, 06:15 AM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why the snarkiness, man? has it made your day to be a jerk on this thread? if so, you should feel awesome!!!

Quick Reply: Harsher but faster shifts in manual and sport mode