IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Harsher but faster shifts in manual and sport mode

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-14, 04:40 PM
WillRockwe
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cremaster
i've actually never driven in manual + normal mode. felt that it kind of defeats the purpose of driving in manual. i actually NEVER drive the car in normal mode, anyway haha the first thing it do, i press the sport button right after the engine turns over.
I've been driving in Normal mode all winter, while I have the skinny snow tires on. Sport mode just overwhelms the inferior rubber. In a week or two I should be able to switch to the regular tires and resume Sport mode.
Old 03-12-14, 04:45 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 9aristo
my remark shouldn't have came off as "wise", but rather snide.

most of my responses to these type of questions are usually "Let Me Google That For You" links, as I am a firm advocate of that saying, something about fish and teaching fishing to a man.

The search function should have yielded that the torque converter gets locked, causing this "harsh" shift. If the OP was unable to deduct that, again, there are plenty of online resources.

The issue with just explaining something that has been explained - makes forums like these less valuable. Imagine reading a book, where the first chapter and the last chapter goes over the same topic.

This car was released in 2008. Odds are, whatever question I have about this car is probably already answered/covered. I guess my expectations from this online resource is too high.

Haha like whether or not Synthetic oil is good for the IS-F?

My problem with this forum is that its too closed minded. The resources for all the questions asked are ALL over the web with a simple search. Why search in an ISF forum when it has been answered 2394239x in another forum and COMPLETELY applicable?

Most members here want to be spoon fed every answer and for those of us who do spend our time researching and dive into other forums for answers that will give us a lifetime of knowledge, its somewhat annoying. Oil question? Hard shift question? Which LED bulb to use question? How to remove emblems question? Painting calipers? etc etc... really can be answered through other forums/websites/blogs etc.
Old 03-12-14, 06:23 PM
9aristo
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in all honesty guys, our group is tiny. I know that the car is special in its own way.

someone on here said something that struck me pretty significantly:

"If you're driving an IS-F, you've done something right".

I hold each one of us to a very high standard - my apologies for being an elitist.

Originally Posted by DrRick
All good. I guess we just view the forum differently. For me, it's less of a resource and more of a community of folks with the same interest. And in that interest, it becomes a resource.

No harm no foul...
DrRick, you are right. I forgot that this community shared a common interest primarily- that the resource came after. Thanks for reminding me about this community!

My apologies all.
Old 03-12-14, 11:48 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,080 Likes on 2,472 Posts

Let's review what we've learned here.

Also - if there is something we need to sticky or to put in an FAQ, or if there is something (like the extended warranty thread) where we make a "comprehensive, all inclusive" thread and call it "The mother of ?*? thread" we can do this. We all know how ambiguous search results can be, and we all know even if you use the exact words in the title of the thread you want to find, you'll get more than you bargained for when you hit the search button. So let's not immediately assume the OP hasn't searched. By the same token, if you know there is a thread out there with the information, post the link, or suggest merging the threads to me or Caymandiver. The moderators are here to help. Really.