IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Wish to up grade the sound quality on my ml system!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-14, 08:27 PM
KOKISF
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wish to up grade the sound quality on my ml system!

Need help , what are the common cures for the crappy sound on the ml of the F , I wish it was louder and cleaner ,any inputs on the subject would be greatly appreciated!
Old 03-08-14, 08:30 PM
KOKISF
Lead Lap

Keep in mind , I dont want anything like auto show sound, Is just I now have iss forge and ppe . The stereo needs ti be upgraded with all the drone
Old 03-08-14, 10:53 PM
shahir18
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the highs are good, lacking a bit of mids and definitely the lows (bass)...
Old 03-09-14, 03:57 AM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Disconnect the factory subwoofer and use a singal converter like an LC2i to be able to hook up an aftermarket subwoofer and amp. The actual sound quality of the ML system is decent but lacks low end. The ML system actually gets fairly loud and by adding an aftermarket sub the system cannot cut low end to prevent distortion, which is what you are experiencing.
Old 03-09-14, 06:33 AM
KOKISF
Lead Lap

Where is located this factory sub amp or sub
Old 03-09-14, 07:01 AM
KOKISF
Lead Lap

Wow i search the lc2i and i think this is my way to go thanks a lot will let you know how it went
Old 03-09-14, 12:21 PM
yjk1975
Pole Position

Please update with results. I am very disappointed with our ml system. If this works out, I would would do it too.
Old 03-09-14, 12:36 PM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

I actually did this and it's very simple. The sub is located in the rear deck. Pull the speaker cover up and unscrew the sub. Disconnect the clip and use them for your audio signal into the lc2i. Run your power, ground and remote wires for the amp and lc2i and your set to hook up an aftermarket sub. There is a entery point behind the battery to run your power wire into the cabin.
Old 03-09-14, 12:36 PM
deefam
Driver School Candidate

i recently upgraded the stock 8" sub to a JL audio sub/amp combo using the audio control lc2i and so far so good. mL speakers arent the best ive had but theyre enough for me not to spend ~$1000 to upgrade speakers all around.

one 12" sub is making something between my rear seats and trunk rattle.
Old 03-09-14, 03:16 PM
jadeboy
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Installed sub JL 10W7 + XD600/1 + LC2i + trunk sound deadening into 2012 ISF, a lot better than before. But the volume and Sound Quality of the speakers are not that great. Speakers are still too "Bright" and not balanced at all...

Looking to replace speakers with Focal/Hertz with JBL MS8/Audison Bit/PS8 LOC.. but this seem like a difficult task and not sure what to do.

Anyone gone beyond adding a sub?
Old 03-09-14, 04:17 PM
vbb

Received 198 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by kauaian
Disconnect the factory subwoofer and use a singal converter like an LC2i to be able to hook up an aftermarket subwoofer and amp. The actual sound quality of the ML system is decent but lacks low end. The ML system actually gets fairly loud and by adding an aftermarket sub the system cannot cut low end to prevent distortion, which is what you are experiencing.
This is exactly what I did, and now my system sounds fantastic. Maybe not audiophile good, but definitely much better than average. All it took was a 300W Alpine amp and a 10" JL sub to bring things alive. The stock mids and highs are good.
Old 03-09-14, 05:35 PM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jadeboy
Installed sub JL 10W7 + XD600/1 + LC2i + trunk sound deadening into 2012 ISF, a lot better than before. But the volume and Sound Quality of the speakers are not that great. Speakers are still too "Bright" and not balanced at all...

Looking to replace speakers with Focal/Hertz with JBL MS8/Audison Bit/PS8 LOC.. but this seem like a difficult task and not sure what to do.

Anyone gone beyond adding a sub?
The bit1, ps8 and a few others will be able to handle the task. You would have to tap each speaker/ channel to get the proper signal. Ditching the ML amp will cause you to lose your navigation function and possibly others. I enjoy audio myself and always did my own installs but did not want to tackle it with the ISF. The sound quality was enough and the added sub made up enough difference for me. It will be costly to replace this system and depending on your choice of DSP the center channel may be lost as well.

As for speaker sound quality that is subjective to the listener. I personally think all lines of focal speakers are bright. I tried numerous brands and always found myself going back to morel.
Old 03-09-14, 06:56 PM
H60Driver
Driver

Has anyone ever replaced the factory 8" with an aftermarket 8" in the same location aftermarket amp or not? I would be interested in doing this.
Old 03-10-14, 01:47 PM
H60Driver
Driver

Has anyone that's taken out their sub get the measurements of the sub. This discussion really sparked my interest and would love to stick an 8" JL back there
Old 03-10-14, 02:07 PM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

If I remember correctly the stock sub is 6.5". It you plan to utilize the stock ML amp to power the sub make sure you match ohms or you will be replacing that ML amp sooner then later.

Quick Reply: Wish to up grade the sound quality on my ml system!