IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Oil change - synthetic oil

Old 04-21-14, 10:00 AM
FD3SISF
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I change the oil on my car on 1 every year. Most miles was 9k miles in one year. My last oil change was after 13 months and 5k miles.
Old 04-21-14, 10:51 AM
Sean
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
There is nothing you can determine from the color of the used oil. The only way to know if the oil is used up is to test it for TBN (total base number) and for viscosity. I run Red Line in my Supra with 10k mile OCI, and Mobil 1 in my F with 12k mile OCI. All my oil decisions are based on used oil analysis.
How many months apart are your OCI? I've always done oil changes on my vehicles with less miles between since I don't put a lot of miles on them. 10-12k would be likely be over a year between oil changes. Also, lots of city driving with not too many highway miles. Is there any harm in basically doing "annual" oil changes?

My car has had Mobil 1 synthetic since the first oil change but upcoming will be Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 since the current Shell/Chevron gas discount deal effectively lowers the price to a little over $1 a quart. Same deal on Pennzoil Ultra.
Old 04-21-14, 11:39 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,280 Posts

I've been using Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra in my F since day 1. I'd rather use Ultra, but it can be hard to find. However, since I live in Arizona and the winters aren't cold and the summers do sizzle, I have been using 10W/30. It's been working fine for me.

Lou
Old 04-21-14, 09:16 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,834 Likes on 2,323 Posts

Originally Posted by snea
How many months apart are your OCI? I've always done oil changes on my vehicles with less miles between since I don't put a lot of miles on them. 10-12k would be likely be over a year between oil changes. Also, lots of city driving with not too many highway miles. Is there any harm in basically doing "annual" oil changes?

My car has had Mobil 1 synthetic since the first oil change but upcoming will be Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 since the current Shell/Chevron gas discount deal effectively lowers the price to a little over $1 a quart. Same deal on Pennzoil Ultra.
My history with the F is chronicled for all to see here. My Supra hasn't seen an oil change in a few years because I don't drive it much, and when I do drive it, it gets enough time to fully heat the oil. Age isn't a serious concern. Operating short distances where you never get out of cold cycle is the hardest thing you can do to oil because you never burn off the blowby acids and they liquify with the condensation inside the engine while it warms. Since the water never boils off, it sits on top of the oil with a heavily acidic content from the blowby solution and reduces the TBN (that's why oil has a base package in it - to neutralize the acids it encounters in normal operation.) When the base is gone, the additive packages suffer and the oil loses viscosity quickly.

My cars are all garaged, so they see very little overnight temperature change which can also cause internal condensation. If your car lives outside overnight, more frequent changes may be necessary.

But none of any of what I said means anything without sending a sample for testing, and preferably a series of samples so you can get a good idea of how your engine responds to your climate and driving patterns. What works for me might be a disaster for you and vice versa.

If you're not going to have the oil analyzed, you're best off to follow Lexus's recommended service schedule. Because the 2UR-GSE holds nearly 10 quarts, it makes economic sense to have the oil tested. Engines with smaller capacity are harder to justify unless they're turbocharged, then it always makes economic sense so you can know your turbo is in good shape, or more importantly, it isn't in good shape but is still worthy of a rebuild. JMHO.
Old 04-22-14, 08:07 AM
Sean
Lead Lap

Thanks. That is something I've always wondered about, but never took time to look deep enough into it. My car is garaged and I do usually get up to 3 bars and typically let the car warm up a bit before even leaving the driveway, so it seems longer time-period intervals probably wouldn't be harmful.

I have done Blackstone before with my truck since I've done all the maintenance on it myself, so I may do this for the IS-F in the future. However, I was pretty happy getting it changed at Toyota last time (no Lexus dealership for 150 miles) since everyone there loved the car and they only charged $20 (using my oil).
Old 04-22-14, 06:19 PM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by 2URGSE
I was using Castrol 5W-30 full synthetic since 1200 miles when I finished break in. I just changed the oil this weekend after 4,000 miles and the oil was pretty black.
To get on regular 5K OCI (with mileage ending in a 0 or 5K), I changed my oil early this past weekend. I bought the car with 8.2K miles, and it now has 11.3K. After 3K miles of use, I was amazed at how clean the oil looked when it poured out into the pan. It looked as clear as the new oil I put in!

There is nothing you can determine from the color of the used oil.
That makes sense to me, and I'm certainly no expert on the subject. However, I was still very surprised, given that the oil has always come out "black" on pretty much every other oil change I've ever done.

In hindsight, I probably should have let it go till 15K and saved a few bucks.

-Mike
Old 04-22-14, 06:39 PM
Compthis
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Toyota conventional dyno oil in my car and change it every 5000 km max. I know it's excessive and not needed but its $100, no big deal for me knowing the oil is always fresh. My F now has 73000km on it and runs like new, not an issue ever.

One thing that does concern me is the tranny oil. I know its life time oil but i'd love to change it anyways but afraid to as from what I read its a complicated process.

Last edited by Compthis; 04-23-14 at 05:04 AM.
Old 04-28-14, 06:47 AM
gtrevels
Driver School Candidate

0w-20 is NOT recommended for the 2UR-GSE. Lexus specifically says the 2UR-GSE uses 5w-30 and a 5000 mile OCI on every model from 2008 to 2014. This dealer is not reading the documentation available on TIS. I would not let them work on my car.
Hi Lobuxracer,

Thanks for the Oil App and Change guide. I will be sure to print and take to the lexus service department when I go for my first oil change. When the local Lexus service rep told me they used 0w-20 I was very surprised. So I called the Lexus service rep in Va. where I purchased the ISF and they recommend 5w-30.

Since my first oil change is free from Lexus, I will take it to the local dealer and make sure they fill it with the 5w-30.

Thanks again for the pdf. It is very helpful.

gtr
Old 02-27-16, 02:44 AM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

In almost all instances it is filter life/capacity that is shorter than oil life, synthetic or not. And, many "non-synthetics" are actually synthetic blends these days as well. I am in agreement after owning many vehicles that synthetic has no advantages except maybe peace of mind. If your change interval is regular you should be fine.
Old 02-27-16, 01:11 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Compthis
I use Toyota conventional dyno oil in my car and change it every 5000 km max. I know it's excessive and not needed but its $100, no big deal for me knowing the oil is always fresh. My F now has 73000km on it and runs like new, not an issue ever.

One thing that does concern me is the tranny oil. I know its life time oil but i'd love to change it anyways but afraid to as from what I read its a complicated process.
not complex at all... there is a drain and fill plug which you can extract 3 quarts out and insert 3 quarts into the system at a time, granted its not a full fluid flush but do it 4-5 times and its like new again. I think its better this way because your not opening the pan up and changing filters etc on a good sealed system like on other cars.
The complicated part was the process in ensuring the correct amount was in there which the dealer took care of since I believe it has to be a certain temperature and left overnight at the dealer to get proper reading with their scan tools (techstream).
Old 02-27-16, 01:32 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Jz39, welcome to the board.
A bit necro for a first post.
Old 02-28-16, 04:17 PM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

LOL! Yeah, I've got a lot of catching up to do

Next week I'm going to get through responding to the 2015 posts! J/K!

Thanks for the welcome!

Last edited by Jz39; 02-28-16 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-09-16, 08:56 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

My dealer recommended conventional oil so that's what I went with. $69 so I'm not complaining and in and out within the hour and checked out some new GS-F's.
Old 03-09-16, 04:23 PM
foxprime
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Aggression
Based on no data whatsoever, I get full synthetic just to lengthen the time of my oil change intervals. I'm a lazy bastard, and I'm okay with this.
^ I totally agree.

I use AMSoil synthetic, changing every 8k to 10k miles or 1 year.