IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Weird ISF Transmission Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-14, 02:15 PM
MYISF
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Weird ISF Transmission Issue

I have read through some of the treads out there about transmission problems but none sound like mine so I thought I would post and see if anyone else has experienced this and what they did or found out???

I bought my 2009 ISF back in Sept 2013 with 25K miles on it...it is a CPO car (good thing)...anyway this has happened to me about three times now.

It happens after the car has sat for a day or so. It starts off shifting fine as I creep through my neighborhood (25-30 MPH)…then as I accelerate (has happened only when I am kind of getting on it) onto the main road it won’t shift…it is like it gets stuck in 2nd or 3rd gear (not sure which gear and I have started keeping my display set so I can see which gear if it happens again)…I then try to get it to shift by taking my foot off the accelerator and then hitting it again and again. All three times it eventually shifted and then after that “no problems” even if I get on it. Other than those three times in 5 months, the transmission works awesome…I am confused

I take my car to the dealer for maintenance, so is there something specifically I can ask them to check…computer wise???
Old 03-02-14, 03:01 PM
WillRockwe
Pole Position

My car exhibits that behavior when the oil is cold, if I try to paddle shift near the redline it won't go, no problems once it warms up. I don't use the paddles until the engine is warm, the auto gets the job done till then
Old 03-02-14, 03:10 PM
MYISF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by WillRockwe
My car exhibits that behavior when the oil is cold, if I try to paddle shift near the redline it won't go, no problems once it warms up. I don't use the paddles until the engine is warm, the auto gets the job done till then
Thanks for responding but in my case all three time I was in automatic and not trying to use the paddle shifters.
Old 03-02-14, 04:01 PM
J2K
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 473
Thanks for responding but in my case all three time I was in automatic and not trying to use the paddle shifters.
My 08 does this as well when it's cold..... it's annoying as hell, but perfectly normal in my experience. I will usually switch over to manual mode and upshift when it tries to hold the gear.
Old 03-02-14, 04:05 PM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its because the oil temp is cold. Let it warm up a bit (about 2 bars or so) before you put it in SPORT and start thrashing through the gears. Let the oil works its way through and heat up.
Old 03-03-14, 06:16 AM
MYISF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by J2K
My 08 does this as well when it's cold..... it's annoying as hell, but perfectly normal in my experience. I will usually switch over to manual mode and upshift when it tries to hold the gear.
Thanks and good to hear (sort of)...I will try that next time.

Originally Posted by 2ndGF
Its because the oil temp is cold. Let it warm up a bit (about 2 bars or so) before you put it in SPORT and start thrashing through the gears. Let the oil works its way through and heat up.
Thanks...I will pay attention to the oil temp but I was not in sport mode or using the manual shifting when this happened...I was using the basic automatic and letting the car shift...I was just getting on it a little bit...like to pull out into traffic aggressively...not even thrashing it when this happened all three times???
Old 03-03-14, 06:24 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Need to wait until the oil temp warms up. It's bad for the engine/tranny anyway to beat on the car before allowing it to warm up. Warming up as in driving normally, not idling.
Old 03-03-14, 04:06 PM
WillRockwe
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 2ndGF
I don't have bars on the temp gauge on my '11. Am I the only one?
Old 03-03-14, 07:37 PM
Jkru2000
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

This Has happened to me in my 08 in automatic a few times. It only happened when my engine was cold, try to keep it under 2500 rpm until the motor is warm. 2-3 bars,
Old 03-03-14, 09:14 PM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I usually let her idle in the morning for about a minute and then its about a two minute gingerly cruise to the freeway on ramp. I haven't ever noticed anything strange with the tranny getting on the freeway in auto
Old 03-03-14, 09:16 PM
Mydogbella
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I usually also let her idle until at least 2 bars.
Old 03-03-14, 09:23 PM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mydogbella
I usually also let her idle until at least 2 bars.
I probably would let her idle longer but it's a straight and gradual cruise downhill to the onramp for me so it's essentially the same as idling
Old 03-04-14, 09:58 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Mine does this all the time when the gearbox is cold. Step on the gas a little harder, or use sport mode and hit the gas a little harder. I live near the top of a hill, so my drive away is always down hill first. No chance to get heat in anything.
Old 03-04-14, 12:20 PM
MYISF
Lead Lap

I appreciate all the replies and have been watching my Oil Temp and my gear selection...it has not happend recently and I did notcie that it takes a while for the oil temp to get to two bars even here in Florida where it is high 70's today. So I guess I am buying into what everyone is saying...Thanks.
Old 03-04-14, 02:11 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Even when its 100 degrees outside it takes a while for the oil temp to go up.. its more so the amount of oil in the engine than the ambient temperature that dictates the time for the oil to reach optimal temperature.

Quick Reply: Weird ISF Transmission Issue