IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

MagnaFlow High-Flow Cats Question

Old 04-01-15, 08:58 PM
Jamakan
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nate008
Thanks for all the input. I wanted to follow up on this. The P/N PPE uses for the high flow cats is 59905. The O2 bungs were unbranded so they may make them, idk.

After getting them installed, the gas smell has been reduced significantly. Like most cars when you go WOT it's more noticeable, but it's definitely wife friendly smell wise now.

Also during the install, we noticed there were exhaust leaks on both sides where the headers met the cat back. Noise has also been reduced since install, but that would probably be attributed to getting those leaks fixed.
Nate I just bought the 59955 and was wondering what location did you install yours. I have headers and stock exhaust and was going to replace the secondary cats since it stinks of sulfur under load. I also I have the p0137 code being thrown I think because then primary cats are gone. So looking at Lou's setup I'm wondering if the metal cats would help with the code if I install the cats before the 02 sensors. Are u or Lou running an 02 sim or no?
Trying to kill 2 birds one stone... Stinky oem cats and o2 low voltage error.
Old 10-20-15, 03:18 PM
PololoISF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jamakan, Nate008:

Did you end up adding the hi flow cats? I am in the same situation.. Awesome PPE headers with a Borla exhaust = great power and sound but horrible smell...

Contemplating the idea of adding hi flow cats (2.25 or 2.5") or going back to stock...

Thanks in advance,
P
Old 10-20-15, 08:21 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

^^^^Check your PM. Can't attach pict to a PM so I'm attaching it here.

Lou
Attached Thumbnails MagnaFlow High-Flow Cats Question-cat-from-side.jpg  

Last edited by flowrider; 10-20-15 at 08:24 PM.
Old 10-21-15, 05:01 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PololoISF
Jamakan, Nate008:

Did you end up adding the hi flow cats? I am in the same situation.. Awesome PPE headers with a Borla exhaust = great power and sound but horrible smell...

Contemplating the idea of adding hi flow cats (2.25 or 2.5") or going back to stock...

Thanks in advance,
P
Add the cats, you'll be happy you did. No real downside and the smell goes away.
Old 10-21-15, 06:26 AM
PololoISF
Driver School Candidate

Great!!

Thanks guys!! I guess I'll be ordering them soon. I believe, I will need to cut the front part of the Borla...

I assume then, that the O2 sensors get placed AFTER the cat towards the back of the car?

Thanks,
Old 10-21-15, 03:11 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^Like I said in my PM to you, cut, install and weld just like in my pict above.

Lou
Old 03-06-17, 02:18 PM
PololoISF
Driver School Candidate

Hello,

Reviving this old thread. I was finally able to place the order for the Hi-Flow cats that will be welded into my Borla Exhaust.

MagnaFlow 59905 Universal Catalytic Converter

I just did not get the O2 bungs... Which ones are recommended? I already have the O2 conditioners and they are working fine. I know I am supposed to place the O2 sensors AFTER the cat as in the picture above... Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks
Hopefully the exhaust shop does a decent job.

Regards,
Pololo
Old 03-06-17, 02:32 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^That's the correct cat. If you look at the pict I posted above, you'll see the PN etched on the side.

Lou
Old 03-06-17, 03:35 PM
PololoISF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^That's the correct cat. If you look at the pict I posted above, you'll see the PN etched on the side.

Lou
Hi Lou,

Thanks so much for the reply. Yes I ordered these based on your feedback I just did not get the bungs... Is there anything special about them? Do they need to be angled? Is there a P/N for the O2 bungs? Or any exhaust shop should be able to do this for me?

Thanks in advance,
Pololo
Old 03-06-17, 04:40 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Hi Lou,

Thanks so much for the reply. Yes I ordered these based on your feedback I just did not get the bungs... Is there anything special about them? Do they need to be angled? Is there a P/N for the O2 bungs? Or any exhaust shop should be able to do this for me?

Thanks in advance,
Pololo
Your Borla already has the threads (bungs) for the O2 sensors, you shouldn't need extra.
The following users liked this post:
PololoISF (03-06-17)
Old 03-06-17, 05:34 PM
PololoISF
Driver School Candidate

By the way, since I have a new Borla in the box that I'll be using, I think it'll be easier just to take the two sections where the hi flow cats will be placed, right? Unless there is a specific clearance and alignment that must be made before the installation.... Any pointers?

TIA
Old 03-07-17, 07:58 AM
msgs350
Pole Position

By the way, since I have a new Borla in the box that I'll be using, I think it'll be easier just to take the two sections where the hi flow cats will be placed, right? Unless there is a specific clearance and alignment that must be made before the installation.... Any pointers?

TIA
Just have the shop do everything, since it may be difficult for you to determine where there is enough clearance on under the car. You want the cats installed as close to the motor as possible.
Old 03-30-17, 02:01 PM
lexicon72
Intermediate

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I'm in the same situation. Enough of you talked about smell to worry me, so when I ordered PPE headers I also ordered Magnaflow 59956 high flow cats. Already have Joe Z cat-back exhaust installed and the RR Tune as well. I don't really have to worry about O2 sims since I have the tune but it would be nice to retain the O2 bungs in case I part out down the road (but not a necessity). What is the rough cost for just welding in the cats? One shop just quoted me $480 (4 hours x $120/hr) but they tend to work on high end corvettes, Camaros, etc. Seems awfully pricey to me.
My shop guy who is going to do the headers doesn't do welding, so I have been shopping the welding separately. TIA
Old 03-30-17, 09:37 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexicon72
I'm in the same situation. Enough of you talked about smell to worry me, so when I ordered PPE headers I also ordered Magnaflow 59956 high flow cats. Already have Joe Z cat-back exhaust installed and the RR Tune as well. I don't really have to worry about O2 sims since I have the tune but it would be nice to retain the O2 bungs in case I part out down the road (but not a necessity). What is the rough cost for just welding in the cats? One shop just quoted me $480 (4 hours x $120/hr) but they tend to work on high end corvettes, Camaros, etc. Seems awfully pricey to me.
My shop guy who is going to do the headers doesn't do welding, so I have been shopping the welding separately. TIA
I paid for 6 hours of labor in WA state for my Borla catback installation and the welding in of 2 Magnaflow hi-flow cats. I thought i paid a lot but didn't trust any other shops. I'm somewhat interested in what others experienced, even though it doesn't matter at this point, it's worth it not to have the smell inside the car.
Old 03-31-17, 12:17 AM
isfvss
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

Can someone explain, I thought you need o2 before the cats to get a correct A/F ratio, and 4 hours JUST to weld in cats is a joke $480 supplied and fitted maybe??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MagnaFlow High-Flow Cats Question