IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

IS F extended warranty - worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-14, 05:28 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I highly recommend you get it. Why not. Especially if your going to drive the car daily. I have used my warranty 4 times.
Old 02-19-14, 07:48 AM
PremiumG
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I buy my cars used and keep them for about 4 years. I've had an evaporator core, navigation system, motor mounts and a few other parts, all replaced by Lexus under a $2800 extended warranty with $0 deductible on my GS430. I recently purchased a 09 ISF and without a doubt I got an extended warranty. If the car is still covered under existing warranty you can wait and shop around for awhile, but the lower miles will get you a better deal.
Old 02-19-14, 07:51 AM
CCColtsicehockey
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Anyone know if you can pay and extend your CPO warranty? I have it till 125k right now but I am at 110k. I would love the piece of mind on the gauges and the nav since I plan to keep it til at least 200k.
Old 02-19-14, 09:29 AM
gtrevels
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a CPO IS F and declined the 5 yr and 6 yr warranty offers. The CPO gives me 3 years or 100k miles, whichever comes first. Most likely I won't reach 100,000 miles in 3 years. The car had 27,xxx on it at time of purchase. So I didn't think it was worth $2500 for the 6yr/100k extended warranty that provide me with only 3 years coverage. Now the big concern is electronics failure. I'm not too concerned with engine/powertrain failure.

But, I did click the fd-warranty link to see if there is a warranty available at a discounted price.
Old 02-19-14, 02:46 PM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
When I bought my Supra in '93, the finance guy tried to sell me an extended warranty for a mere $2200. I got his tune changed pretty quickly. I said, "Wait a minute, the guys on the floor were telling me how reliable Toyotas are, and now you're telling me this car is going to break and it's going to be expensive to fix it?"

I got him down to $732...less than the price of a turbo failure. I got more than my money's worth out of it.
Nice deal. I've been through the ol' song & dance many times with car purchases. For the most part, I've skipped extended warranties. The last time I bought one (for my '04 Toyota 4Runner), I didn't use it in the 8 years I had the vehicle. When I bought the IS-F a few weeks ago, I asked about negotiating a lower price for the extended warranty, but they weren't budging. I ended up passing on it.

-Mike
Old 02-19-14, 03:02 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mikersoft
Nice deal. I've been through the ol' song & dance many times with car purchases. For the most part, I've skipped extended warranties. The last time I bought one (for my '04 Toyota 4Runner), I didn't use it in the 8 years I had the vehicle. When I bought the IS-F a few weeks ago, I asked about negotiating a lower price for the extended warranty, but they weren't budging. I ended up passing on it.

-Mike
You still can buy a discounted one from Jerry Johnson.About 40% under dealer's number.
Old 02-19-14, 04:14 PM
JM51526
Driver

Thanks, all. They've come down by $1000, so I'll do it. I thought about extending the warranty at a later date, but apparently Lexus will only extend on new purchased cars - CPO extended warranties can only be had at time of purchase. I plan on keeping the car a long time, and not as a daily driver, so I likely won't hit the 100k mark before the six years are out.

I'll call Jerry Johnson and see what they'll do. EDIT: Called Jerry Johnson - only the selling dealer can do Lexus extended warranties on CPO cars.

Again, thank you all for your insight.

Last edited by JM51526; 02-19-14 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Updated info on Jerry Johnson
Old 02-19-14, 09:00 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I just got mine today !! 8 yr/100k miles for $2498

Troy Dietrich is unbeatable, and only sells factory extended warranties. No third party BS.

Why risk it ?? In the end the warranties are refundable and prorated so theres no risk if you need to sell or trade the car down the line. Id say its a no brainer. One issue with the suspension, or some random electrical issue could easily run you in the thousands. I guess I like stress free motoring.
Old 02-19-14, 09:22 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Not so much for me. There isn't anything I can't fix myself, so for me it's all about time and materials. That's what I told the finance guy trying to sell me the extended warranty on the Supra. When he offered his last price, he said, "I've got to know - If I offered this to you at cost, would you take it?" I don't think he made much there. It was the Toyota Extra Care (I would not consider anything else). I managed to get a windshield, hatch struts, and a passenger's side airbag through that warranty, but there's a lot more to this than meets the eye.
Old 02-19-14, 09:57 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I wish I knew how to work on my own car. Just not something I ever picked up or had the confidence to do myself. The only thing I can do amazingly well is detail a vehicle. I am straight up OCD !!
Old 02-19-14, 10:09 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

$1,000 isn't too bad. I would get it for this discount price. Congrats on the new car.
Old 02-20-14, 05:23 AM
Stuno1
Driver

Definately worth it. Just to touch a car like this costs $$$$

Mine recently went in for yaw calibrationa nd they noticed a VERY small amout of oil around the air filter. It is going in for 1-2 days of investigation now. Also looking to have headlights replaced as they let in moisture.

I wouldnt get a third party warranty, only direct from the manufacturer. From my experiance 3rd party ones are full of loop holes so they dont pay out.
Old 02-20-14, 07:41 AM
sleepyray
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
You still can buy a discounted one from Jerry Johnson.About 40% under dealer's number.
Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I just got mine today !! 8 yr/100k miles for $2498

Troy Dietrich is unbeatable, and only sells factory extended warranties. No third party BS.

Why risk it ?? In the end the warranties are refundable and prorated so theres no risk if you need to sell or trade the car down the line. Id say its a no brainer. One issue with the suspension, or some random electrical issue could easily run you in the thousands. I guess I like stress free motoring.
My F's Platium Warranty expiring next month; it's a 2008 currently have 38k on Odo, and would like to see if possible get another Platium plan instead of Gold or silver.

I just emailed Jarry Johnson.... and would like to know who is Troy Dietrich? Can i get his contact as well? defintly would like to see if their plans are the same and which one got better price!

Thanks

Ray
Old 02-20-14, 10:09 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

If you google him he is on ALL of the forums. He is well known because he will generally sell warranties 600-1000 less than the dealers. I have purchased extended warranties for my LS, GS, and today purchased the extended warranty for the ISF. Its all Lexus Extra Care. I got the 8 yr / 100k for $2498.

His number is

(413) 773-5455. He works at Toyota of Greenfield in Massachusets . I will also be buying an extended warranty for our 2013 Sienna Limited from Troy as well.
Old 02-22-14, 01:32 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just like car insurance, it's one less financial burden when disaster strikes, especially if one is not mechanically inclined.

Quick Reply: IS F extended warranty - worth it?