IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Coilovers on a 2011+

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-14, 06:06 PM
LionelHutz
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coilovers on a 2011+

There doesn't seem to be much information on how much coilovers improve the updated IS-F suspension, so I wanted to start this thread as a resource for anybody with questions about this.

I drove with the OEM suspension on my 2011 for about a year and a half. While it is better than the '08-09 suspension, I personally think it is uncomfortably overdamped and the front ride height is goofy. I decided to go with a set of BC coilovers for the sake of being able to spec custom Swift springs/valving and being able to resleeve the shocks rather than rebuild.

I spoke to Mike at FIGS engineering (who really knows his #$*@ about these cars, BTW) and discussed what I wanted to get out of the suspension and what I planned to do with the car. My goal was to improve ride quality, drop to about 1/2 finger gap all around, but keep the ability to drive canyons or occasionally autocross. Mike recommended the 16k front / 12k rear swift springs, which he is apparently recommending for most customers now. As he described it, choosing between the 14/10 and 16/12 is more a function of managing travel and what area of the damping adjustability you will be in. He also recommends their poly lower front control arm bushing for lowering applications.

I had the coilovers and bushings installed at RNZ Conceptz here in San Diego, along with an alignment. Ride height is set to just under 1 finger all around and damping is set at 15 from full hard on front and 20 from full hard at back. I only have about 50 miles on the suspension right now. I was worried that the 16/12 springs were going to be overkill for daily driving, but so far am very happy. While the setup is definitely firm, it is far smoother than OEM. The nervous, brittle behavior on rough roads is almost entirely gone. There is still a good amount of road feel (some of this may be due to increased NVH from the bushings) but the suspension is just SMOOTH now. Zero rubbing or bottoming out and no scraping on normal speed bumps or parking lot entrances.

I'll keep this thread updated as a resource, but my first reaction is that coilovers are very much worth it even on the updated suspension. It will be fun to play with the damping. My sense is that I could go a click or two softer for DD and 5-6 clicks further for performance.

Last edited by LionelHutz; 02-14-14 at 06:10 PM.
Old 02-14-14, 06:42 PM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sea...archid=3086078

There has been a lot of talk on BC's and other coilovers, these threads might help you pick your setting.
Old 02-14-14, 06:43 PM
ULTSISF
Lead Lap

Subscribed. My BC w the swift option are on the way.
Old 02-14-14, 07:05 PM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm still undecided if to go with 12/10, 14/10 or even 16/12 mainly for comfort. I might drop it a tiny bit in the front.
Old 02-14-14, 09:11 PM
NotnFsport
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

OP.... where in San Diego are you from? If your not busy this Monday...come on down to HG motorsports to chill while they tune my F
Old 02-15-14, 03:41 PM
LionelHutz
Rookie

Originally Posted by amgone75
OP.... where in San Diego are you from? If your not busy this Monday...come on down to HG motorsports to chill while they tune my F
What are you having done?
Old 02-15-14, 03:49 PM
LionelHutz
Rookie

Had a chance to snap some photos of the ride height. It is just slightly lower than OEM in the rear, and a drop in the front to match the rear wheel gap. I also tried out a couple different damping settings today. -10F/-15R, which was very firm. Not quite overdamped, but too much for commuting. Now trying -17F/-21R. Seems good for daily driving so far. Quite smooth but not vague. Definitely not a setting for performance driving. I'm going to take it out on the highway for a while today to make sure it does not float too much. This confirms my initial impression that 16/12 are good spring rates even for people looking to get a little more comfort out of the suspension.

Old 02-15-14, 04:02 PM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Your car's paint looks awesome. What do you use to bring out the shine like that?

-Mike
Old 02-15-14, 04:11 PM
ULTSISF
Lead Lap

Car looks good!!!
Old 02-15-14, 08:12 PM
LionelHutz
Rookie

Originally Posted by mikersoft
Your car's paint looks awesome. What do you use to bring out the shine like that?

-Mike
Most of it is getting a very clean, jeweled finish before you put any sealant or wax on. Clay bar, iron-x if you live somewhere with a lot of environmental fallout, multi-step polish. Then use the quality sealant of your choice. I'm using Sonax Polymer Net Shield right now. Not great to apply, but amazing beading characteristics. Also topped with Lusso Oro carnauba wax at the moment.
Old 02-15-14, 11:00 PM
NotnFsport
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by LionelHutz
What are you having done?
HG motorsports is dyno tuning my ISF on Monday
Old 02-16-14, 12:02 AM
xaznx
Driver

I have a question guys, When the f is lowered, doesn't the car have a negative camber, if control arms are not replaced or a camber kit installed? Sorry I'm kinda new to the f scene, and am in search of one. I love the look of the no fender gap, and I used to have civics and integras that was lowered, and due to the negative camber, without a camber kit, I got premature wear on my tires. I'm wondering how you guys are fixing this, or is it not a big deal and owners are just let the tires wear. Just curious.
Old 02-20-14, 10:36 AM
LionelHutz
Rookie

Originally Posted by xaznx
I have a question guys, When the f is lowered, doesn't the car have a negative camber, if control arms are not replaced or a camber kit installed? Sorry I'm kinda new to the f scene, and am in search of one. I love the look of the no fender gap, and I used to have civics and integras that was lowered, and due to the negative camber, without a camber kit, I got premature wear on my tires. I'm wondering how you guys are fixing this, or is it not a big deal and owners are just let the tires wear. Just curious.
I'm far from a suspension expert on these cars, but I think the short answer is that yes, you will get more negative camber with a drop. I picked up only about -0.15 F / -0.1 R with my drop, which is not enough to give me concern over tire wear. For what it's worth, according to my alignment sheet, even the stock alignment was about -0.1 out of spec for camber. A poly control arm is also supposed to help with inner tire wear (FIGS had a good thread on this).
Old 02-20-14, 11:34 AM
Need4Speed
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by LionelHutz

The drop looks perfect! Are you planning on getting some wider set wheels to complete the stance?

Would look amazing with some Vossens!

Love that color, very nice!
Old 02-20-14, 11:39 AM
LionelHutz
Rookie

Originally Posted by Need4Speed
The drop looks perfect! Are you planning on getting some wider set wheels to complete the stance?

Would look amazing with some Vossens!

Love that color, very nice!
Thinking about maybe adding some mild spacers. I've had a very hard time picking out wheels that are better than OEM. It seems like everything out there has a big tradeoff on either look, price, weight, or fitment. I like the Vossen CV3 well enough, but Vossen doesn't want to make a 19" IS-F fitment, and I won't run a 20" for a number of reasons.

Quick Reply: Coilovers on a 2011+