IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

help and knowledge please...

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-14, 02:40 PM
Hitman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
21 psi (33% increase) on pump gas with just a tune? Sounds a bit scary for longevity.
Not at all. Stock boost pressure is low. The fuel system can support the boost I'm running. You guys need to learn about turbo cars....lol
Old 01-21-14, 05:22 PM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

21 psi (33% increase) on pump gas with just a tune? Sounds a bit scary for longevity.
Wouldn't that be a 50% increase???
Old 01-21-14, 08:03 PM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Hitman
Okay bud.....whatever you say. But realize that I'm running much higher boost with that bigger turbo. 14 psi stock and 21 psi with the bigger turbo. I have not had the car on a dyno, so I really can't say how much power its making for sure. You can believe whatever you want.
Sure "Bud" let us know when you have a dyno sheet or more importantly a time slip! If Audi could make their 2.0 4cyl perform on par or in your case better than they're 4.2l V8 reliably they would ONLY be producing one engine! A new mustang will give our cars a run for the money, so I'll put my money where my mouth is $500.00 too you if you can beat my STOCK ISF with your current setup... Let me know when you are ready to prover your statement.
Old 01-21-14, 08:07 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Not at all. Stock boost pressure is low. The fuel system can support the boost I'm running. You guys need to learn about turbo cars....lol
You're funny. Learn about turbos. Really? I've owned the car in my signature for 21 years. Learn about turbos? Comedy.

Your stock engine has a static 9.6:1 compression ratio. You're running 21 psi boost on pump gas with a 9.6:1 compression ratio? Like I said, not good for longevity even with water injection or methanol injection.

Oh, BTW, I see the stock power output is 211 hp at 14 psi. That means you're getting 211 x 1.5 = 316.5 hp assuming linear gains which are not always true because the air gets hotter as the pressure rises, and detonation becomes a problem unless you've upgraded your intercooler. But I don't know anything about turbo engines, so I'll let the experts talk.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 01-21-14 at 08:18 PM.
Old 01-21-14, 08:09 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tons of ISF owners have owned or DO own turbo cars......your car may be a factory freak but we still know Audi is no match for Lexus reliability. I don't own a turbo car, but I also don't talk crap if I don't have numbers to back it up. Take your car to the track and let's see what it runs. I don't care about what it says on the dyno.
Old 01-21-14, 09:18 PM
Hitman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ming15237
Sure "Bud" let us know when you have a dyno sheet or more importantly a time slip! If Audi could make their 2.0 4cyl perform on par or in your case better than they're 4.2l V8 reliably they would ONLY be producing one engine! A new mustang will give our cars a run for the money, so I'll put my money where my mouth is $500.00 too you if you can beat my STOCK ISF with your current setup... Let me know when you are ready to prover your statement.
Lol....OK bud. Did you miss where I said the car hasn't been on a dyno? Why are you asking me for slips? And although I've run many of my cars at the track, I've never run the Audi and I have no desire to. Honestly, I don't consider it a fast car at all. Even if it ran high 12s, it would be quick at best....not what I'd consider fast. And finally, are you really trying to get me to race you? On the internet? In the snow? Lololol....where do you live? I'm in NY and there's a decent snow storm happening right now.
Old 01-21-14, 09:24 PM
Hitman
Driver School Candidate

You're funny. Learn about turbos. Really? I've owned the car in my signature for 21 years. Learn about turbos? Comedy.

Your stock engine has a static 9.6:1 compression ratio. You're running 21 psi boost on pump gas with a 9.6:1 compression ratio? Like I said, not good for longevity even with water injection or methanol injection.

Oh, BTW, I see the stock power output is 211 hp at 14 psi. That means you're getting 211 x 1.5 = 316.5 hp assuming linear gains which are not always true because the air gets hotter as the pressure rises, and detonation becomes a problem unless you've upgraded your intercooler. But I don't know anything about turbo engines, so I'll let the experts talk.
Sorry, but I can only smile at your little math formula. If you honestly think that's the way that HP and boost levels are related, I don't think we have much more to talk about. But thanks for the laugh.....I really did get a kick out of your "1.5" theory.

BTW....how much HP do you think one pound of boost equals on my car? Let me know what you think and maybe you can redeem yourself.
Old 01-21-14, 09:36 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Sorry lad, but I have nothing to prove to you about what I know about engines. Have fun on the site.
Old 01-21-14, 09:42 PM
Hitman
Driver School Candidate

Sorry lad, but I have nothing to prove to you about what I know about engines. Have fun on the site.
Exactly what I thought....but let me educate you: There is no such relationship between HP and boost where you can simply apply a multiplication factor based on stock boost and actual boost levels. Furthermore, it's even more ludicrous when you add a larger turbo into the equation.....you know, because bigger turbos generally push more air.....and more air together with more fuel creates more power. Pretty simple concept, huh?
Old 01-21-14, 09:48 PM
Hitman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
Tons of ISF owners have owned or DO own turbo cars......your car may be a factory freak but we still know Audi is no match for Lexus reliability. I don't own a turbo car, but I also don't talk crap if I don't have numbers to back it up. Take your car to the track and let's see what it runs. I don't care about what it says on the dyno.

A factory freak? Haha....not at all. It's a lightly nodded car and performs the same as other cars with the same mods...nothing freaky there.

As far as reliability, the car has been perfect so far, despite the fact that it is running high boost levels with a bigger turbo.... and I drive the car hard often.
Old 01-21-14, 10:11 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Exactly what I thought....but let me educate you: There is no such relationship between HP and boost where you can simply apply a multiplication factor based on stock boost and actual boost levels. Furthermore, it's even more ludicrous when you add a larger turbo into the equation.....you know, because bigger turbos generally push more air.....and more air together with more fuel creates more power. Pretty simple concept, huh?
http://www.goapr.com/products/turbo_...si_vl_k04.html

Actually my simple analysis is pretty close according to APR and their KO4 kit for your car. Maybe you don't understand gas physics the way I do, or haven't spent as much time porting heads, building engines, etc...but I digress.

And you are still not even close to a Mustang V8's power to weight even on 100 octane fuel.
Old 01-22-14, 05:38 AM
ming15237
Lead Lap

A factory freak? Haha....not at all. It's a lightly nodded car and performs the same as other cars with the same mods...nothing freaky there.

As far as reliability, the car has been perfect so far, despite the fact that it is running high boost levels with a bigger turbo.... and I drive the car hard often.
What you are failing to realize here is that we have busted your story telling. You made a statement that you can NOT back up, and that is where our fundamental disagreement lies. So there is a cure to our grievance, either retract your initial statement, or provide proof of it. But coming onto a Lexus ISF Forum and and making a claim that your car is of similar performance to ours, OR of similar reliability will only result in flaming from members. As I have stated in the past, my shop works on these cars on a daily basis, and at no point in time would myself or any of my techs make a statement that the Audi is a reliable platform. Their direct injection system is simply a nightmare, we have done over 10 of these engines where the intake system had to be removed and the intake ports and valves has to be chipped clean with a screwdriver and ultimately harsh chemicals and a tooth brush to remove the carbon buildup at only 50k miles. That's not a "solid design" IMHO. So in conclusion this is really the time too "Put up or shut up", anything beyond that is only further proving your ignorance.
Old 01-22-14, 07:38 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It will outrun a V8 S5 and still top 30 mpg on the highway.
Did you miss where I said the car hasn't been on a dyno? Why are you asking me for slips? And although I've run many of my cars at the track, I've never run the Audi and I have no desire to.
You claimed you'd outrun an S5 then you say you'd never run the Audi...I don't understand. We're asking you for time slips because you make outrageous claims with nothing to back it up. Seriously, no hard feelings but we gotta call your bluff if you start flaming other members with no numbers to back up your own claims. Why would you not run the Audi on a closed track or drag strip? How else do you measure the performance benefits of mods? I'm not trying to instigate here, just asking a few questions. Not only is it fun in a closed environment, you get to gauge your driving skills and instantly reap the benefits of your mods IMO.
Old 01-23-14, 04:16 PM
Hitman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
You claimed you'd outrun an S5 then you say you'd never run the Audi...I don't understand. We're asking you for time slips because you make outrageous claims with nothing to back it up. Seriously, no hard feelings but we gotta call your bluff if you start flaming other members with no numbers to back up your own claims. Why would you not run the Audi on a closed track or drag strip? How else do you measure the performance benefits of mods? I'm not trying to instigate here, just asking a few questions. Not only is it fun in a closed environment, you get to gauge your driving skills and instantly reap the benefits of your mods IMO.
On the street.....I've done it already several times. My car pulls quite a bit harder than an S5. That's a fact because I've done it myself. Again, it's common knowledge among guys with my mods on the A5.
Old 01-23-14, 04:23 PM
Hitman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ming15237
What you are failing to realize here is that we have busted your story telling. You made a statement that you can NOT back up, and that is where our fundamental disagreement lies. So there is a cure to our grievance, either retract your initial statement, or provide proof of it. But coming onto a Lexus ISF Forum and and making a claim that your car is of similar performance to ours, OR of similar reliability will only result in flaming from members. As I have stated in the past, my shop works on these cars on a daily basis, and at no point in time would myself or any of my techs make a statement that the Audi is a reliable platform. Their direct injection system is simply a nightmare, we have done over 10 of these engines where the intake system had to be removed and the intake ports and valves has to be chipped clean with a screwdriver and ultimately harsh chemicals and a tooth brush to remove the carbon buildup at only 50k miles. That's not a "solid design" IMHO. So in conclusion this is really the time too "Put up or shut up", anything beyond that is only further proving your ignorance.
You busted nothing, Nancy. The only claim I made is that my lightly modded A5 pulls harder than an S5 (which is nothing to brag about) and as hard as a Coyote 5.0 Mustang. I never said anything at all about your precious little Lexus, so try not to get your panties all knotted up.

BTW, the 2.0T engines have no carbon problems. The V8 S5 definitely does, but anyone who works on Audis knows that this generation of the 2.0T , despite being a DI engine, has no carbon issues. So you obviously don't know what you're talking about...

Quick Reply: help and knowledge please...