IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Moving onto the RC-F?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-14, 10:46 AM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by MRxSLAYx
I definitely wouldn't do it. Too many coupes that I would prefer over the RCF. There are cars like the 997.1 turbo, GTR, C6 zo6, Gen 4 viper....
Absolutely ^^^^^^^^. I would have a same list, before choosing the RC-F.

I can see definitely choosing RC-F over any M3 (V8 or the new V6ttt) or C63.
Probable choice over RS5. I would need to drive them both to decide.
Absolutely no way to choose RC-F over 997.1 turbo, 997.1 GT3 or even 997.2 GTS,
all in the same price range pre-owned.
Porsche would be my choice, but GTR, ZO6 and Viper are also fantastic.

ISF is lots of car for the money, it is hard to make the case for any coupe.
My personal believe is that there will be a new ISF one day, actually I think
Lexus will have F for most of their line. We will end up with RCF, ISF, GSF and LSF.
Old 01-17-14, 11:06 AM
todd4566
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No shot. Not only is the RC-F too over the top with its styling, I need a sedan now since I've got a little one. The RC-F gauge cluster is certainly neat, but as mentioned, you aren't going to be able to observe many of those fancy readouts when you're looking at the road. Hopefully another IS-F comes along, or even the sweet looking GS-F prototype.
Old 01-17-14, 11:23 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by digger08
Watch this and tell me you don't want one! :O

Digger08
So…you're gonna buy a car because of the gauges?
Old 01-17-14, 11:55 AM
Mrd916
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I look at it this way, my current F is prob worth $45k give or take. Is the new RC-F worth me giving another $30k plus my car in trade? Even if I could afford it I'm saying no. I think majority of sales on this car will be from people who have never owned an IS-F because it's just not a big performance upgrade for us. I'm a $50k car buyer and as soon as 2010 GTR gets close to that price I will be trading my F in
Old 01-17-14, 12:01 PM
yjk1975
Pole Position

No but I will be adding a gently used 911 Turbo as soon as my F is paid off. One for fun and one for DD.
Old 01-17-14, 12:08 PM
zazzn
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

it's funny because you and I also have the same list...

Looks like how lexus captured us damn that's good market targeting.
Old 01-17-14, 12:40 PM
CodyJames
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

If the RC-F is nearly as comfortable as my IS-F, I'm buying it. I love Porsches, but I want something that I can drive daily. I almost bought a Cayman S, but it's not a M-F car.
Old 01-17-14, 12:52 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not trading the F for the RC-F either. Now that I have headers and exhaust, I'm probably already at 470 hp give or take. In addition, my F is about 200-300 pounds lighter than the RC-F. That means my F is probably faster in a straight line and possibly just as fast on a track. The RC-F is more of a lateral shift than an upgrade IMO. Besides, they'll probably only give me 30 at trade in and I'll have to come up with 40K+TTL.
Old 01-17-14, 12:53 PM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Just F Me
So…you're gonna buy a car because of the gauges?
That's seriously your question..... or your being rhetorical?

Digger08

Last edited by digger08; 01-17-14 at 01:02 PM.
Old 01-17-14, 01:18 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyJames
If the RC-F is nearly as comfortable as my IS-F, I'm buying it. I love Porsches, but I want something that I can drive daily. I almost bought a Cayman S, but it's not a M-F car.
UHHHHH….

Don't forget…Porsche ranked at the top with Lexus as far as consumer reports on quality (or something like this). Porsche is your every day super car…what's worn with driving it daily?

Originally Posted by digger08
That's seriously your question..... or your being rhetorical?

Digger08
I mean…you're video just shows gauges and i guess the fancy toys…how it shifts…etc.. But doesn't show anything about how it handles and how well it performs through the twists and turns… Not sure how one can make a decision if they want one or not by looking at just the gauges. I mean seriously…the car has bulges and stuff all over the place. It's not classy at all.

2nd gen IS already looked good…the IS F added some definite cues that it wasn't your normal IS…but it got people thinking…"there's something different about that car". I like that. This RC-F just SCREAMS "look at me". Seriously, that's just a car for douchebags.
Old 01-17-14, 01:55 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Given what we know about the RC-F at the moment, it will be a lateral step for fully bolted ISF owners. The M4 is becoming a REAL option for me because according to some sources here, the base model comes with a lot standards. And historically speaking, it will be an awesome machine. GT-R or M4 for me...
Old 01-17-14, 02:53 PM
zazzn
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Here's the thing, GTR is extra, extra expensive to maintain. Like 800 for diff fluid, 1000 for a trans flush, 2000 easy for breaks (rotors, pads). $$ for tires.

Then don't dream having problems because the trans is $$$$$$$$.

Porsche is only good if it's turbo IMO. I know cayman is a nice car, but I only want a porsche if it's turbo..

M3 nice, but gas milage sucks, maybe the new one will be nice... CTS-V lots of power all the stuff I want but looks like **** IMO. Something about american's feel like they can't follow the others and try to set their own trends, unfortunately it's not working.

Doesn't leave many other cars....
Old 01-17-14, 03:41 PM
DansonISF
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Rossi
Absolutely ^^^^^^^^. I would have a same list, before choosing the RC-F.

I can see definitely choosing RC-F over any M3 (V8 or the new V6ttt) or C63.
Probable choice over RS5. I would need to drive them both to decide.
Absolutely no way to choose RC-F over 997.1 turbo, 997.1 GT3 or even 997.2 GTS,
all in the same price range pre-owned.
Porsche would be my choice, but GTR, ZO6 and Viper are also fantastic.

ISF is lots of car for the money, it is hard to make the case for any coupe.
My personal believe is that there will be a new ISF one day, actually I think
Lexus will have F for most of their line. We will end up with RCF, ISF, GSF and LSF.
Totally AGREE with you if Lexus continues to made F or any type of F for their line productions then it wont be much more value on their cars anymore each time you see a Lexus with a letter F you would be like Ok its normal and like any regular cars as for me i will keep my ISF if next car i would get then i want to get a GTR something could be used as daily or race and kinna rare also
Old 01-17-14, 03:43 PM
scamsel
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ToothDoc
I'm not trading the F for the RC-F either. Now that I have headers and exhaust, I'm probably already at 470 hp give or take. In addition, my F is about 200-300 pounds lighter than the RC-F. That means my F is probably faster in a straight line and possibly just as fast on a track. The RC-F is more of a lateral shift than an upgrade IMO. Besides, they'll probably only give me 30 at trade in and I'll have to come up with 40K+TTL.
agree, i don't really see it as big enough upgrade....hmm, although, i should reserve judgment until i get some seat time!
Old 01-17-14, 06:54 PM
CodyJames
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Just F Me
UHHHHH….

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh9c_V9ocyg

Don't forget…Porsche ranked at the top with Lexus as far as consumer reports on quality (or something like this). Porsche is your every day super car…what's worn with driving it daily?

I mean…you're video just shows gauges and i guess the fancy toys…how it shifts…etc.. But doesn't show anything about how it handles and how well it performs through the twists and turns… Not sure how one can make a decision if they want one or not by looking at just the gauges. I mean seriously…the car has bulges and stuff all over the place. It's not classy at all.

2nd gen IS already looked good…the IS F added some definite cues that it wasn't your normal IS…but it got people thinking…"there's something different about that car". I like that. This RC-F just SCREAMS "look at me". Seriously, that's just a car for douchebags.
Don't confuse reliability with driveability. I drove the Cayman for a week - it's definitely NOT a daily driver, at least for me. That's why the P-car is, for most people, a weekend warrior.

Quick Reply: Moving onto the RC-F?