Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

IS-F after the RC-F

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-14, 12:40 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default IS-F after the RC-F

So now that the RC-F is a real thing now and the IS-F line is officially discontinued, what do you think is in store for the lost only generation IS-F line

Will the IS-F hold is value and become somewhat of a collectors Item due its new found rarity for being Lexus's Only V8 Sport Sedan only available for 1 generation. Kinda like the Supra

Or

Will the F lose its value because of its potential of copy cats from the IS Sub Models. Kinda like the CTS-V value kicked the bucket (even though not discontinued)

Personally, I thought the market was just about to boom with these big engine, High HP 4 doors but im surprised lexus pulled out and went the coupe direction with the RC-F. BMW went V8 with the M3, Benz, even Cadillac. I was never a fan of coupes so im afraid the RC-F wont be on my wishlist. Unless there is a RC-F sedan in store... or a new IS top teir line! What do you think?
Old 01-14-14, 12:50 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

With the RC-F coming out more people will know about the F brand but I don't think resale values will plummet for the IS-F due to limited production. It definitely won't be like the Supra or NSX since those cars did not have successors and are ULTRA rare. Looking at cars.com there are still only 200 used ISF's selling in the entire nation - a low number for sure.

Last edited by VtotheJ; 01-14-14 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-14-14, 01:02 PM
lorenr
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Wink The IS F is amazing

I sort of spotted the IS F early on and was taken by its four doors and stance. I have always been a motor head and felt that the IS F motor could be a high water mark. I had to save my money but bought an SFP 2011 last summer. I'm very happy with the car.

There are only a couple of things on the IS F that I'd change the rest stays stock. I'd add the cat back exhaust, the lower control arm bushings and larger, wider tires that still fit the existing wheel wells and stock wheels.

I doubt if anyone will come along with a better looking or more dependable "sleeper". I really want a car that does not stand out and people are unaware of what it is.

The new RC F simple does not work. Does not have the stance and simply looks like it was designed by teenagers. The added and updated technology is a joke for older ladies and while the car makes more horsepower and a bit more torque the car weighs more and so probably won't be that much faster. The IS F with about 400 rear wheel horsepower will beat it.

Usually a manufacture gets it right during the first series later someone else jumps in to add junk to the car hopping it will attract more buyers.

Old 01-14-14, 01:13 PM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the IS F will hold it's value pretty well since it's rare, well-built and will most likely be the last IS iteration with a v8...the next one (if they ever produce more) is rumored to be equipped with some sort of v6 turbo.

Since I think it appears likely there will be a GS F and LS F to follow the RC F, we will have to wait and see what the next sedans have as far as performance/equipment.
Old 01-14-14, 01:24 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
With the RC-F coming out more people will know about the F brand but I don't think resale values will plummet for the IS-F due to limited production. It definitely won't be like the Supra or NSX since those cars did not have successors and are ULTRA rare. Looking at cars.com there are still only 200 used ones selling in the entire nation - a low number for sure.
Well the IS-F wont have a successor since the RC-F is technically a totally different the car. New name, new style, etc. Same engine tho.

I was looking at a few other V-8 Sedans and the prices really plumeted more than I thought it would. Just like the the F-line, Caddilac had the V-line (now V-Sport) but I was surprised to see that a 7 year old CTS-V is a less than a quarter of its original MSRP. A once $60k Sport sedan only worth $13k Bluebook (a 2006 CTS-V with 60k miles is only worth $13k+). I mean also Caddilac is a crap brand so that may have something to do with it but I would like to see the IS-F become a collectors item at some point
Old 01-14-14, 01:46 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NYKnick101
Well the IS-F wont have a successor since the RC-F is technically a totally different the car. New name, new style, etc. Same engine tho.

I was looking at a few other V-8 Sedans and the prices really plumeted more than I thought it would. Just like the the F-line, Caddilac had the V-line (now V-Sport) but I was surprised to see that a 7 year old CTS-V is a less than a quarter of its original MSRP. A once $60k Sport sedan only worth $13k Bluebook (a 2006 CTS-V with 60k miles is only worth $13k+). I mean also Caddilac is a crap brand so that may have something to do with it but I would like to see the IS-F become a collectors item at some point
Has Lexus "officially" stated the ISF is discontinued? Officially?

Based on what I have seen and read to date, the ISF will quite adequately hold its own against the RCF. I can see the torque vectoring differential giving the RCF an advantage on the track--maybe.

I need to see the specs and see the cars track performance during the next year.
Old 01-14-14, 02:09 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ISF001
Has Lexus "officially" stated the ISF is discontinued? Officially?

Based on what I have seen and read to date, the ISF will quite adequately hold its own against the RCF. I can see the torque vectoring differential giving the RCF an advantage on the track--maybe.

I need to see the specs and see the cars track performance during the next year.
Well its not "OFFICIAL" official since they will me making a 2014 but I read an article this morning that a lexus representative has said that lexus has limited its production of the 2014 and it will be the last year the IS-F is produced with no intention to update to the 3IS body style. I will try to find the article again, i was reading it on my phone on my way to work.

Last edited by NYKnick101; 01-14-14 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-14-14, 02:15 PM
Clownshoes
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

World wide, the ISF is a rare car. With a pending discontinuation, and people buying and destroying them as will happen with road cars, those of us that keep our cars long term and do not kill them wil have a very collectable car in the future. Bet on it.
Old 01-14-14, 02:18 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

ISF for life
Old 01-14-14, 03:27 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

With electric cars and smaller engines with forced induction.. anything with a v8 will be more sought for.

In that sense, I'm looking to unload my car sometime this year and get into a less comfy vehicle lol. Hopefully prices for the IS-F stabilize or go up.
Old 01-14-14, 04:14 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

A part of me hopes that prices fall through the floor so I can buy like 3 of them lol but then another part of me has high hopes for the F and that it becomes a collectors because I think the IS is one of the best cars ever built. But I am also biased
Old 01-14-14, 04:32 PM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As long as US current owners dont sell for cheap, the market will take care of itself.
Old 01-14-14, 07:20 PM
ULTSISF
Lead Lap

The ISF will definitely hold it's value I'm sure of that. I concur what others had said the ISF will definitely be the unicorn sedan from lexus in years to come.
Old 01-14-14, 08:04 PM
FD3SISF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by blitz_714
ISF for life
Kody time to save up for the RCF.
Old 01-15-14, 12:11 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

no sir i dont like coupe if not i already got the GTR already