21.98%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

IS-F after the RC-F

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-14, 10:37 AM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the ISF will hold it's value fairly well like the NSX and Supra that have mostly flat-lined at a certain price point due to rarity.

When I check KBB for the value of my car it shows something around $25k. But when I search for buying the same car, the cheapest options seem to be around $35k. And that was the case 2 years ago when I bought mine.

So the ISF to me is already special in that respect and I expect it to stay above $20k years and years from now even for super high-mileage ones.
Old 01-15-14, 02:02 PM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MRxSLAYx
As long as US current owners dont sell for cheap, the market will take care of itself.
This is the best point so far, we dictate the market for our cars. They are rare and as mentioned it will become harder to find a clean low mileage version over time. Supras and NSX held there value because the community held them to a higher standard. The current group of owners are very happy with the ISF and care for them well. The longer that goes on the better. Nostalgia is a huge factor in the value of cars after there production has ended.
Old 01-16-14, 11:50 AM
TyreKckr
Driver School Candidate

I haven't read anything that indicates it is official that there will not be a 3G IS-F and, given much of the RC-F drive train and technology could be put into the 3G IS at a fraction of the development costs of building a new IS-F from scratch, I'd be surprised if there isn't one.
Old 01-16-14, 12:10 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

The RC-F is not going to cannibalize the used IS-F sales. While I don't think the IS-F is going to go the way of the NSX or Supra, where even a 15 year old car with 80K miles is fetching a seriously high price, I do think value will hold steady, simply because there aren't that many of them out there and it is something of a special car.

I bought a used S2000 and then sold it for a $1000 more than I bought it for 3 years later after the S2000 had been discontinued. Once the new car market dried up, those people who wanted Honda's only 2-seat roadster had to buy used, and so the market held steady. The same will happen with the ISF. I have an '09 right now with only 34K miles on it. I plan to keep it clean, and keep the mileage less than 12K/year, so if I want to go sell it in 2016 when it is 7+ years old, I can still get $25-$30K out of it. It might be a bit of stretch but I think it is possible.
Old 01-16-14, 04:48 PM
Endgame
Driver

Originally Posted by TyreKckr
I haven't read anything that indicates it is official that there will not be a 3G IS-F and, given much of the RC-F drive train and technology could be put into the 3G IS at a fraction of the development costs of building a new IS-F from scratch, I'd be surprised if there isn't one.
Even if there is, it has been discussed on the forum that the 3G IS does not have the underhood space for a V8. Our IS-F is probably the last of the V8 ISF's.
Old 01-16-14, 11:29 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't know how you can say the IS F is rare…some 11,000 units were produced. 20 years ago, there was a car known as a BMW E30 M3…the 1st generation M3. 25 years later, it's a collectors car, but they also made only 5000 of them.

Keeping the same trend, the IS F will only be worth something 25+ years from now….but also the problem is the IS F has no history…no heritage…no pedigree…which in the end means…no value.
Old 01-16-14, 11:31 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by vbb
I have an '09 right now with only 34K miles on it.
Your car is such a baby! I have a 2008…purchased on Sept 17th, 2008. Tomorrow is 5 years and 4 months I've had the car and I have 118,000 miles on it.
Old 01-17-14, 05:34 AM
shahir18
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Just F Me
Don't know how you can say the IS F is rare…some 11,000 units were produced. 20 years ago, there was a car known as a BMW E30 M3…the 1st generation M3. 25 years later, it's a collectors car, but they also made only 5000 of them.

Keeping the same trend, the IS F will only be worth something 25+ years from now….but also the problem is the IS F has no history…no heritage…no pedigree…which in the end means…no value.
Only 8950 NSX were produced and around 11,315 MKIV Supra were produced for the United States... So I believe the IS F is rare as well having production under 11,400 so far.

The NSX has no previous history, heritage, pedigree... but the company had presence in F1

Lexus has its history, heritage, and pedigree with the Toyota having the 2000GT, Supra, MR2, etc.
Old 01-17-14, 06:13 AM
tgui
Pole Position

Originally Posted by blitz_714
ISF for life
I had thoughts like that when I bought a first year STi (in the US) I'm driving a Lexus now I do wish I had kept that car as a winter beater.
Old 01-17-14, 11:31 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by "that boy"
Only 8950 NSX were produced and around 11,315 MKIV Supra were produced for the United States... So I believe the IS F is rare as well having production under 11,400 so far.

The NSX has no previous history, heritage, pedigree... but the company had presence in F1

Lexus has its history, heritage, and pedigree with the Toyota having the 2000GT, Supra, MR2, etc.
NSX has many firsts though…aluminum unibody and it was one of the first cars designed to compete against the Italians. Also, the NSX has aged EXTREMELY well. Put a 1991 NSX up against a 1991 Ferrari (whatever), and the NSX still looks the bomb. When I see an NSX on the road today, I still go…"sweet, look at the NSX". The today is regarded as a very good performing sports car. Sure, it doesn't have a ton of horse power, but it has balance.

The Supra was only popular because of the Fast and The Furious franchises and that's a big reason why the prices have sky rocketed. I doubt that's gonna happen with the IS F. HOWEVER…only sales will tell. If the sales numbers for the RC-F suck, and people still prefer the IS F (and the 4 doors), then maybe the value will hold pretty well. Who knows, they might release a 4th gen IS F (not this 2 door RC thingy)
Old 01-17-14, 09:49 PM
JDMToyotas
Lead Lap

THE ISF WILL NOT BE DISCONTINUED

People are miss understanding. Lexus is going to stop making this gen ISF and move on to the Next one stop confusing that as discounting the ISF. Why in the world would Lexus discontinue their only M3 fighter and stop their first F model? The ISF is the star child maybe not at the moment but it was the first F
Old 12-09-14, 06:51 PM
Dnfwm
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think they will hold their value quite well. Kind of like an evo 9. I bought an evo 9, 4 years ago for 21,000 bucks. Today they are still worth that type of money. I can not see an ISF selling for 10,000 dollars anytime remotely soon. Maybe in 10 years time from now.
Old 12-09-14, 07:45 PM
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IS-F's are already in the mid to high 20s in some cases. that's a big savings from the original 70k msrp.

regardless, who cares? i got mine and i could give two ****s if the value tanks or holds. im a very happy owner.
Old 12-09-14, 08:27 PM
Justind27
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I think it will very well will end up like all the other high end cars, it will vary by condition, availability, mods and overall the person taking interest in purchasing. An example is my mk3 supra: stock 9/10 overall condition w/130k miles, custom painted with aftermarket wheels/tires when I purchased it in 2009 for $4k. With the mods Ive done, only put on 7k miles availability of cars with similar condition/mods I wouldn't put a price tag on it for less than $20k, a lot of people wouldn't agree with this maybe but there are several cars locally (wa state for sale with more miles way less mods for over $10-12k.
Old 12-09-14, 09:29 PM
RedlineAZ
Lead Lap

The RCF might be made in sedan form...check out lexus website slip up. Is this a typo or a hint of what's to come?

Quick Reply: IS-F after the RC-F