IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Very Cold Trans Behavior

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-14, 07:53 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Very Cold Trans Behavior

Just noticed this today during the FRIGID temps in Chicago.

The car was (which was in D and SPORT, and had been sitting outside all day at work) would keep the car in second gear at stops and never go down to first until it was warmed up...never knew it did that.
Old 01-08-14, 08:38 PM
kdm
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if the car acted up in any way, considering that you guys over there got Arctic weather. A way to keep idle at higher rpms to warm the car quicker?
Old 01-08-14, 09:32 PM
bradhop15
Driver

Wow what a weird coincidence. After work today I started my car and put it in manual mode immediately and it started in 2nd and wouldn't go to 1st in manual mode for about a minute. It's never done that before and it wasn't that cold out. Thought it was strange but as soon as it got a little warm it went right in to 1st. I think it's designed that way because it gave me the notorious beep when it doesn't want you to down shift.
Old 01-08-14, 09:37 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kdm
Interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if the car acted up in any way, considering that you guys over there got Arctic weather. A way to keep idle at higher rpms to warm the car quicker?
Wouldn't keeping the car in first gear have a higher idle. Seems to me like the car was trying to keep its rpm lower to avoid damaging itself until it was warmer…

This is just me trying to figure out what could have possibly going on… When it gets that cold out the oil in the trans has to have a higher viscosity and have a smaller volume than it does at normal operating temp so maybe this could cause low oil pressure in the trans and because of this low oil pressure the car tries to keep the gears in the trans from spinning too fast. Acting as a safety measure to prevent the trans from running with not enough oil pumping through it… Just my thinking. I am probably way off
Old 01-08-14, 10:00 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Originally Posted by zapa
Wouldn't keeping the car in first gear have a higher idle. Seems to me like the car was trying to keep its rpm lower to avoid damaging itself until it was warmer…

This is just me trying to figure out what could have possibly going on… When it gets that cold out the oil in the trans has to have a higher viscosity and have a smaller volume than it does at normal operating temp so maybe this could cause low oil pressure in the trans and because of this low oil pressure the car tries to keep the gears in the trans from spinning too fast. Acting as a safety measure to prevent the trans from running with not enough oil pumping through it… Just my thinking. I am probably way off
Other end of the telescope here. Pressure is high, very high, and stresses the seals. The bypass in the oil pump is only so big and when it is cold it won't control (lower) the flow sufficiently to keep the pressure in the normal range. When it's very cold the software controlling the transmission is doing everything it can to minimize undue stress on the gearbox. This behavior is much more pronounced on the IS350 - mine limited gears in both directions when cold.
Old 01-09-14, 06:04 AM
rmillsISF
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I noticed mine when shifting manually was taking a while before the trans temp got up. once I drove for 20 minutes it was fine.
Old 01-09-14, 07:37 AM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Other end of the telescope here. Pressure is high, very high, and stresses the seals. The bypass in the oil pump is only so big and when it is cold it won't control (lower) the flow sufficiently to keep the pressure in the normal range. When it's very cold the software controlling the transmission is doing everything it can to minimize undue stress on the gearbox. This behavior is much more pronounced on the IS350 - mine limited gears in both directions when cold.
Interesting you mind explaining why the extreme cold causes an increase in pressure. I was just thinking about what happens to the fluids when they get cold, but I don't really know how those effects would behave inside a trans.
Old 01-09-14, 08:47 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I took the F out on Tuesday when the temps were LOW, I'm talking like -15°F windchill. I actually didn't notice the car starting in 2nd gear, will look out for it next time. It was so cold that only 45 min into my commute I noticed the oil temp go to 3 bars. Commute is mostly highway.
Old 01-09-14, 09:33 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kdm
Sounds like an "PV" mode--polar vortex.

Seriously, the "F" is not engineered to run in subzero temps. Nothing would surprise me.
Old 01-09-14, 09:39 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

it also doesnt let you shift into 6th until fully warm but I think all Lexus cars do that
Old 01-09-14, 09:56 AM
daedalus
Pole Position

am I the only one that thought we weren't supposed to go into manual mode until 2 bars?
Old 01-09-14, 10:31 AM
ULTSISF
Lead Lap

Yea the F definitely doesn't Act normal when is cold. I notice that all the time but after it gets warmed up back to normal.
Old 01-09-14, 10:56 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NYKnick101
it also doesnt let you shift into 6th until fully warm but I think all Lexus cars do that
^This is not true, plus the F has 8 gears. When the oil temp gauge has 1 bar, shifting up in manual mode while driving hard is not possible but you're still able to hit any gear.

Originally Posted by daedalus
am I the only one that thought we weren't supposed to go into manual mode until 2 bars?
^Correct, i usually just leave it in D until it hits 2 or 3 bars.

Last edited by VtotheJ; 01-09-14 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-10-14, 08:36 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't put the car in M mode or Sport mode till I hit 2 bars. Everyone knows this….(insert Geico commercial joke)
Old 01-10-14, 09:01 AM
imp0rted1
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

great observation skis

for all those not fortunate to live here in the chi we were seeing temps around -17 without windchill

Quick Reply: Very Cold Trans Behavior