IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

The F in Fun is gone..

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-14, 01:05 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts
Default The F in Fun is gone..

Hello once again forum members, I'm pretty sure many of the members here have been through this problem where they feel that the F gets boring.. which is why they move onto a Porsche 991 or a GTR. But for others that aren't financially capable of moving onto those cars, what are you guys doing to get the thrill back into your F? I had my car ready to part out and everything to move onto a CLS63/m6/991/GTR but that didn't work out, LOL. So I'm thinking about moving onto a '69 camaro.. I'm young so luxury isn't a problem but anyone got any input on what to do? Already running, I/E/H.

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 01-08-14, 03:49 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

You can get a daily driver. I drive a Prius most of the time so when I get in the F, as you can imagine, I'm still not bored with it 5 years later.
Old 01-08-14, 04:31 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it all depends on how important having Fun in your car really is to you. If Fun and excitement is what your looking for, I would recommend spending a few grand and start road racing. Buy and entry level car and progress as a driver.
Old 01-08-14, 04:41 AM
chris6878
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

yep, hit the track. Buy some racing slicks and go to town. I have a is 250 and a gx i drive most of the time. Once i get back in the f its like oh ****
Old 01-08-14, 04:47 AM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by caymandive
You can get a daily driver. I drive a Prius most of the time so when I get in the F, as you can imagine, I'm still not bored with it 5 years later.
Can't disagree with this
Old 01-08-14, 07:53 AM
shyguyF
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't drive my F much so i'm thinking of selling it but everytime i get in the F and i don't think to sell it anymore.
Old 01-08-14, 08:32 AM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

No matter what car you have you will run in to the same issue. It's like anything else in life, the more you are exposed to something the less it will impact you. I've had many fast cars and never stop modify them looking for a different feeling. For me personally I try to look for more then just performance as part of the excitement factor these days. The fact that the F is exclusive, nicely styled, big enough to take on a road trip, something I can go to dinner in, appeals to car lovers of all ages (tuners or V8 muscle lovers) and that fact that it has plenty of power while still being luxurious and easy to drive does it for me.
I also drive my F250 or Denali most of the time and I store the F over the winter. So, as Caymen said getting back in the F always feels good.
I was thinking about getting an Aston Martin this year but I decided that I need to keep the F because I really love the car and I picked it for a reason.
If your just young and need to explore more cars then go for it. Cars are like women, some people are always looking for the perfect one and some people figure out that there is no such thing and they fine one that has the good qualitys they need and bad qualitys they can live with because that's what perfect usually is.

So far everyone gave you good advice.
If you love the F then do some suspension mods, road race it, buy a D.D. or buy an inexpensive 90s turbo car to build/road race. If your just not feeling that car anymore then move on.
Old 01-08-14, 09:00 AM
Mydogbella
Pole Position

I still love my F. I will admit I have not had it long at all...and I only drive it like once a week...but I love it!

I have plans to mod it....a little at a time.
Old 01-08-14, 09:26 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MRxSLAYx
I think it all depends on how important having Fun in your car really is to you. If Fun and excitement is what your looking for, I would recommend spending a few grand and start road racing. Buy and entry level car and progress as a driver.
That's a very good suggestion, IMO.

Try the above, or even some autoX events. Increasing power only temporarily makes a car fun. Trying to beat your times and maintaining consistency, especially with a few friends to enjoy the day, is an amazing experience. You can do this in any car, really, but the F won't let you down.
Old 01-08-14, 09:40 AM
Beachtyme
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Anything driven daily gets old, hence the reason I have multiple cars that serve difference purposes.
Old 01-08-14, 09:50 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Beachtyme
Anything driven daily gets old, hence the reason I have multiple cars that serve difference purposes.
I agree. I have been driving my RX 350 alot this winter, and I REALLY enjoy getting back into the F.
Old 01-08-14, 10:03 AM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

if you're the type of person that get's bored easily w/ cars, women, people, etc., then you need variety. including all of the above suggestions, the only other option would be to have multiple cars for you to rotate. that 69' camaro you want will be a blast to drive and a fun project to build. until you start missing creature comforts of the lexus. and you want more power. i personally don't track my F but having 2 cars in the household helps. why not get a bike or motorcycle to mix things up?
Old 01-08-14, 10:04 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Nearly six years of ownership, and personally I'm not bored of my F. There aren't too many mods available now, since the IS F isn't slated to continue for the following year, so I've pretty much maxed that out the first five or so years. But every time, and I really do mean every time I start her up and hear that roar, I know that's the start of what will be a great drive- and they always are. Even if it's just cruising along an unbeaten path, I enjoy the F greatly. My perspective doesn't come from trying to maximize its speed potential, but rather modding it to my specifications and realizing that it's the start of a heritage. Knowing how hard I sacrificed just to possess one, that is paramount of why I'll always love my F.

While I know what the F is capable of, not too much of the public does, and that's a pretty cool feeling. It is the anti-thesis if what Lexus has built its reputation on, and the platform going forward with its performance line. The IS F was introduced into the market first, and while the LFA and the to-be-unveiled RC F will get much of the attention, the IS F paved the way for this performance line. There is no perfect car. One is bound to get bored of his or her current car, but all we can do is enjoy the moments while we're behind the wheel. If there's another car that you're seeking, then go for it.
Old 01-08-14, 10:41 AM
Laid_Out
Driver

Take it to a track day. it'll come back. Don't need to go all out, having fun in a car is just as important as having a fun/fast car
Old 01-08-14, 10:46 AM
jdm_altzza
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Almost every car you mod; you will get bored of it after there's nothing else that you can do to it. F is just a rare car to see (At least in my area). It doesnt just happend with cars. It also happends with a hobbies ect...

If you were to buy a car right now and sell the F; sure you will enjoy it. but you will be back posting the same thread elsewhere.

Quick Reply: The F in Fun is gone..