IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Lexus Dealer takes a joyride in my ISF... Dashcam ;)

Old 01-01-14, 01:46 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisp1
I remember that camaro story! I believe the dealer threatened to sue the car owner if he didn't remove all video clips...on a side note, you auto crossed a loaner vehicle!?! lol
I've heard if beating on loaners but that one definitely takes the cake lol.

Last edited by yardie876; 01-01-14 at 02:36 PM.
Old 01-01-14, 01:55 PM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember that camaro story! I believe the dealer threatened to sue the car owner if he didn't remove all video clips...on a side note, you auto crossed a loaner vehicle!?! lol
And won my class!!! I also took the same car road racing, but I did that out of state and nobody knew what the numbers on the fenders and trunk meant. I told everybody who asked that it was "a *%!#@ test vehicle". Now that i am older and a little wiser I realize the error of my ways!
Old 01-01-14, 01:58 PM
ming15237
Lead Lap

The dealer bought his vehicle back at over retail value in agreement for the videos ALL being removed. They can NOT prosecute you for recording in public where there is NO expatiation of privacy. However every states "wire tapping" laws are different.
Old 01-01-14, 02:04 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 667 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by ming15237
That CAN and ABSOLUTELY MUST happen. At a MUCH younger age I had a dealer "loaner vehicle", which "I" took auto crossing and was filmed by the insurance underwriter of the dealership while racing it. Come Monday morning I was called into the dealership, in front of the owner of the dealership, the underwriter, the regional manager and the district manager of the "unmentioned company" I was advised I would be "financially responsible" for ANY damaged found on the vehicle, as well as the entire time that the vehicle was under ownership of the vehicle should it have ANY power-train failure. THEY WERE PISSED!!! I was also informed at that time that they would NEVER, EVER, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES allow me to loan, rent, or otherwise operate one of their vehicles! I will say that I knew I was busted before the irate calls on Monday morning, so I had all four tires replaced, and had the oil changed and the vehicle completely detailed prior to me returning it. This however made little difference to them when I brought it to their attention. Frankly looking back at it, I can more than see their point of view, not to mention the financial risk I placed on the dealership by using their vehicle as a "race vehicle", and to this day (well over 12 years later! none of this brands dealerships in my area will give me a loaner vehicle when mine are in for service!) I would accept NOTHING less than a LIFETIME power-train warranty. If for some reason the dealer fails to see your prospective, I would advise them that you WILL be distributing this video to the local news broadcasters, because we all know how they LOVE to eat this type of stuff up, and honestly, I would be surprised if this does NOT go VIRAL! I would assure them that you will also be using the name of the dealership, the service managers name as well as the advisers name when making your submission to the above said broadcast stations. We all remember this story don't we? http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoram...152707580.html Not exactly something Lexus or this dealership wants to be known for as well! You will also not there there is VIRTUALLY no video remaining up on the net of this incident! that is how serious they were about erasing ANY memory of this event!

oh man, I was planning on doing this with my loaner bmw f30 328 during Thanksgiving break..but how did the dealership know you were going autocrossing and record the event?

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 01-01-14, 02:28 PM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by joshhleee
oh man, I was planning on doing this with my loaner bmw f30 328 during Thanksgiving break..but how did the dealership know you were going autocrossing and record the event?
Hope the OP doesn't mind me telling this story on his thread. My service advisor and I were friends, and I had intended to take my own vehicle as this event (the road racing and track day) had been planned for quite some time in advance. However my car was yet again broken with the same issue they had attempted to fix 3x in the past 2 months. The auto cross event just happened to coincide with me having their car, and was rather spur of the moment, that racing (the auto crossing) I had NOT planned to do. Well it was a local event that attracts a lot of "lookie loos", one of whom just happened to be the dealers insurance underwriter. Those in my area who own one of this brand vehicle know who the dealers are that sell them and they place specific decals on their loaner cars. So he either saw me and videotaped the event or someone called him and he came down and video taped me. Either way, he came up to me in a rather threatening tone and started berating me in front of everyone, (Me being a 20 something young man in law enforcement who pissed vinegar and liked it!) So I politely advised him that if what he had witnessed up to this point had upset him, he should really turn around and go home, because what I was about to do would surely cause him great angst! At that point I took the above said vehicle around the autocross course in a "drift style fashion" completely obliterating the rear tires. I unfortunately cause a great deal of destruction to the course, and was asked by those holding the event to leave, however they were rather sympathetic to my plight, as they had witnessed him and his actions and tone. Hind site being 20/20 I would not have done what I did then, as I would like to believe that I am a bit smarter now.
Old 01-01-14, 04:30 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Wow, crazy! They should definitely hook you up with something for goodwill. The lifetime power train warranty is absolutely not going to happen though. To the guy insisting that you demand that, you're just setting the OP up for a lawsuit that he's going to spend money fighting and not win.
Old 01-01-14, 05:55 PM
thekhmer
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

This is probably going to push me off the edge on purchasing a dash can I was already thinking of it because my other vehicle was hit in a parking lot and the person ran off an my dads car was also
Old 01-01-14, 06:17 PM
soupyb
Driver School Candidate

This is why I don't valet. >.<
Old 01-01-14, 07:09 PM
WillRockwe
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear him revving while he's rolling, he must be shifting into neutral just to rev the engine. This guy needs to be fired.
Old 01-01-14, 07:19 PM
quarius
Pole Position

Those videos are very difficult to watch. I'm just cringing at everything. I avoid valet like the plague just for reasons like this. Sorry this had to happen. Let us know what happens at the dealership when you talk to them.
Old 01-01-14, 07:52 PM
tungo
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Hendrick Lexus in Merriam, KS. That's unfortunate.

Last edited by tungo; 01-01-14 at 08:08 PM.
Old 01-01-14, 08:23 PM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by WillRockwe
I hear him revving while he's rolling, he must be shifting into neutral just to rev the engine. This guy needs to be fired.
I thought the exact same thing...what rational explanation could there be for that maneuver (which he does at least one more time while entering the gas station) besides exuberantly abusing somebody else's property?
Old 01-01-14, 08:25 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

You might want to consult with an attorney familiar with Kansas law and take those videos off YouTube now.
Summary of statute(s): Kansas bars the recording, interception, use or disclosure of any oral or telephonic communication by means of any mechanical or electronic device without the consent of at least one party to the conversation. The state also prohibits the recording and disclosure of images intercepted in violation of its hidden camera law. Violators can face both civil and criminal penalties. - See more at: http://www.rcfp.org/reporters-record....osRauq9E.dpuf
It can be a felony to record without consent.

I never let a dealership service my car. This is part of why. The other part is, I'm a far more thorough mechanic than any dealer or independent wrench. I have access to all the same tech data, and since it's MY car, I'll take the time to clean, disassemble, and inspect things they would overlook because they're being paid flat rate and I don't care how long it takes to get the job done. The wife's 2006 Scion tC has nearly 200k on it. It runs like a top, and no dealer has seen it since it rolled off the used car lot with 68k on the odometer. Never, ever trust someone to take care of your property the way you would. It won't happen.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 01-01-14 at 08:29 PM.
Old 01-02-14, 03:40 AM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Andrew,
I watched in disgust and horror your vids! So sorry this happened to you and I'd be PISSED if I saw someone doing this to my car…. I'm glad I don't take my car to that dealer any more for service and instead go somewhere else….
Old 01-02-14, 07:27 AM
silverlexg
Driver

Original post updated after speaking with management at the dealership.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lexus Dealer takes a joyride in my ISF... Dashcam ;)