IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Lightweight Driveshaft ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-14, 11:17 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

If you had an HKS triple plate, you wouldn't need to dig at all. You would definitely remember it. It worked like a lightswitch. From zero to full engagement in 2mm of pedal travel.

My question is more about the way the F transmission works in manual mode. There isn't anything soft except the giubos because the torque converter is locked up, and there is no internal damping in the gearbox. So I am concerned it will behave the way Dave Mashour's Supra did. This is unique to the F, because most clutches have dampening springs or elastomers in the friction disc, and automatics don't normally stay locked on decel, and that's when you'll have your problem.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 08-29-14 at 11:20 AM.
Old 03-09-19, 07:14 PM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Received 342 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
My question is more about the way the F transmission works in manual mode. There isn't anything soft except the giubos because the torque converter is locked up, and there is no internal damping in the gearbox. So I am concerned it will behave the way Dave Mashour's Supra did. This is unique to the F, because most clutches have dampening springs or elastomers in the friction disc, and automatics don't normally stay locked on decel, and that's when you'll have your problem.
Im really interested in knowing this. I’m planning on getting a solid one piece carbon fiber driveshaft.
Old 03-09-19, 08:24 PM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

I considered CF drive shaft for my modded C63 to the point of actually sending money to the company that was going to make them for my group buy on a different forum. Then I backed out and got a refund. The 1-2 lb weight savings wasn’t worth it to me for spending upwards of $2,000. I was expecting at least a 3rd of the OEM drive shaft weight reduction. But literally 1-2 lbs was all some guys were reporting as the orders started arriving to our group buyers door steps.
Old 03-09-19, 08:57 PM
Jwconeil

Received 968 Likes on 628 Posts

How did you confirm the weight difference? Our stock shaft is steel I thought, so I would think the weight difference would be substantial.
Old 03-09-19, 10:38 PM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
How did you confirm the weight difference? Our stock shaft is steel I thought, so I would think the weight difference would be substantial.
It’s been a while, but please read through the messages in the AMG forum I belong to. Link is provided here in my post. https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...veshaft-6.html

Some respected forum members loved the drive shaft, but it wasn’t because of weight savings.
Old 03-10-19, 08:38 AM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Idk how AMG driveshafts relate this. This is ISF forum and a thread for an ISF driveshaft. This right here is very important and has me wondering if putting a one piece driveshaft would be a good idea in our cars. I just wonder if anyone would know for certain. For those who wonder about weight savings whether it’s a lot or a little you’ll notice it but also feel a difference from it being one piece vs two.
Old 03-10-19, 09:51 AM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ISFpowered

Idk how AMG driveshafts relate this. This is ISF forum and a thread for an ISF driveshaft. This right here is very important and has me wondering if putting a one piece driveshaft would be a good idea in our cars. I just wonder if anyone would know for certain. For those who wonder about weight savings whether it’s a lot or a little you’ll notice it but also feel a difference from it being one piece vs two.

I believe the gentleman was asking if there are any significant weight savings by going with a CF drive shaft vs the OEM shaft?

From my experience with high torque cars the weight saving is not why owners go with CF driveshafts, at least that is the consensus over in the AMG forums. C63 owners are doing it for various other reasons, but weight advantages isn’t one of them.

Last edited by highrev6; 03-10-19 at 09:57 AM.
Old 03-10-19, 04:43 PM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

I have CF driveshaft from DSS (left) installed on my Cayenne GTS.

Getting the CF driveshaft is NOT about getting lighter driveshaft, it is about getting one-piece unit, which is better in every way, except $$$ cost.
You can get one also made from aluminium, about 40 % cheaper, they are made slightly thicker (due to aluminium not being as strong as CF) but those unit have been reported to be sometimes noisy.
Knowing my luck, I would have got one of those :-))) So, I did not wanted to take a chance, so I chose the best option available, love it every day.
Details: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...n-957-gts.html

One-piece Drive-shafts
==> You will get more direct feel, more power as there is no interference, as you don't run your driveshaft through the connecting bearing. So your tranny (on Cayenne: transfer case) connects via driveshaft freely and directly to your diff.
==> Also the rubbed disk “guibo” you can see on the top of the OEM unit (right) is gone, again more direct connection. Please note, there is still rubber dampening (black stripes by the mounting points) so there is no unwanted vibration or hasness to your tranny or diff.

The real reason I chose to get mine for the Porsche was, the drive-shaft support was shot, which is notorious problem on Porsche Cayennes/Audi Q7/VW Touareg SUVs, you have to get a new driveshaft or have it rebuild and re-balanced every 60-90K miles.
I was not going to have any of that and upgraded. One-piece unit eliminates those future problems, plus it makes the my manual tranny 6-SPEED V8 just so much fun to drive. I put about 8K on the new driveshaft, no regrets, just a blast as it is so smooth.

WOULD I GET ONE FOR ISF?
- for about $1400, only if there was something wrong with the OEM unit, then definitely.

Last edited by Rossi; 03-10-19 at 05:49 PM.
Old 03-10-19, 06:09 PM
Jwconeil

Received 968 Likes on 628 Posts

Originally Posted by Rossi

I have CF driveshaft from DSS (left) installed on my Cayenne GTS.

Getting the CF driveshaft is NOT about getting lighter driveshaft, it is about getting one-piece unit, which is better in every way, except $$$ cost.
You can get one also made from aluminium, about 40 % cheaper, they are made slightly thicker (due to aluminium not being as strong as CF) but those unit have been reported to be sometimes noisy.
Knowing my luck, I would have got one of those :-))) So, I did not wanted to take a chance, so I chose the best option available, love it every day.
Details: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...n-957-gts.html

One-piece Drive-shafts
==> You will get more direct feel, more power as there is no interference, as you don't run your driveshaft through the connecting bearing. So your tranny (on Cayenne: transfer case) connects via driveshaft freely and directly to your diff.
==> Also the rubbed disk “guibo” you can see on the top of the OEM unit (right) is gone, again more direct connection. Please note, there is still rubber dampening (black stripes by the mounting points) so there is no unwanted vibration or hasness to your tranny or diff.

The real reason I chose to get mine for the Porsche was, the drive-shaft support was shot, which is notorious problem on Porsche Cayennes/Audi Q7/VW Touareg SUVs, you have to get a new driveshaft or have it rebuild and re-balanced every 60-90K miles.
I was not going to have any of that and upgraded. One-piece unit eliminates those future problems, plus it makes the my manual tranny 6-SPEED V8 just so much fun to drive. I put about 8K on the new driveshaft, no regrets, just a blast as it is so smooth.

WOULD I GET ONE FOR ISF?
- for about $1400, only if there was something wrong with the OEM unit, then definitely.

You spent 8k on a shaft?
Old 03-10-19, 06:11 PM
Rossi
Racer

Originally Posted by Jwconeil

You spent 8k on a shaft?
Driven 8K miles
Old 03-10-19, 08:21 PM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rossi

Driven 8K miles
So the CF driveshaft is damped as well? Just worrying since the ISF torque converter fully locks and just wonder what kinds of long term ill effects it will have.
Old 03-10-19, 08:38 PM
Rossi
Racer

Seems like a great design, there is rubber there, I can confirm. I haven’t heard anything about potentially negative long term problems. DSS sells for many platforms, I am sure if there would be anything substantial to worry about, you should be able to dig it up. I am happy with mine.