IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

chips and 1st to 2nd weird shifting?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-13, 01:16 PM
ttbasterd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chips and 1st to 2nd weird shifting?

okay so now that i made it clear that i can never find what i search for, here are my questions:

-just bought an 2010 ISF with 32k on it two weeks ago. It had two previous owners. I have no idea how the previous owners have treated this car and i feel like @ 30,000 most cars need some sort of special service? rear dif oil? tranny oil? filters? any suggestions to what i services i should do to this beast?

-When taking off easy/slow shifting from 1st to 2nd does not feel smooth at all.. they car jerks a bit? However when i take off fast, i dont feel anything out of the ordinary! Any comments on this? Im coming from an 2011 jeep wrangler so its the complete opposite of this car, so maybe this is just how sports cars are? harder shifting?

-Its a black obsidian color... with ALOT OF chips.... even has random swirly chips on the trunk? and random paint defects around the car... @ 32k, i can not believe the amount of chips this car has in its front end..... it completely blows my mind? Can tracking the car a lot cause these chips?? even my windshield has these sandy chips all over it.. usually you see a 20 year old car have this much chips and sandy chips on its windshield?

----on the driver side door right below the window? wtf is this??

---- on my rear trunk.. there are about 10 of these swirly chips......??

Is it too late to put a clear bra on its hood? or do you guys think its pointless now that it has all these chips? I made a deal with the dealership to take care of the chips on the car when i bought it, but i took it back and they basically lied to get me to buy the car from them.... so f*** Darcars Silver Springs Lexus.

---- what is this??? whats the main and 2nd mean?

thank you guys, i am super excited about this car and cant wait to start moding it soon! #TeamISF
Old 11-21-13, 01:57 PM
Defratos
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

When you're having jerky shifts do u have sport mode on? Because mine becomes more sensitive when letting off the gas when I'm driving slow and in sport mode which usually = jerkiness but nothing odd
Old 11-21-13, 01:58 PM
Kevin.IS
Lexus Test Driver

Jerking might be due to shifting at an incorrect rpm and/or from a cold start. I usually let the car warm up to at least 2 bars before manually shifting (preferably in sport mode) as I do notice a lag and not so smooth gear change. I try to shift no lower than 3-4k rpm. As for the main and 2nd tire select, your car can memorize two sets of tpms (i.e. summer and winter wheels).
Old 11-21-13, 02:11 PM
Sean
Lead Lap

If the car was dealer-serviced you should be able to pull the service history. I know it shows up on carfax reports, but there is probably a free way to do it, which somebody else may chip in.

As far as 30k service, look at the recommended maintenance schedule in the documentation that came with your car and consider the service history (if you can find anything). You could also take it to a dealer and have them run through their standard inspection and they will let you know if anything needs to be done. The main recommendation at 30k aside from the standard oil change, oil filter, and air filter, is the brakes. You'll want the rotor and brake pad thickness checked. You're definitely coming up on needing the brake pads replaced if it has never been done.

I'm not sure if this is typical, but occasionally my car will have a "not-smooth" shift if the engine hasn't quite warmed up yet. It basically revs just a little higher than expected during the shift. Typically the first shift after I leave my driveway, but after that it drives normal. My 370z did the same thing. If your car is doing this constantly, and especially if it feels more mechanical, as in the transmission, rather than the engine burning off a little extra fuel, then there might be an issue.

You might look into something called Dr. Color Chip to take care of a few small rock chips. If it's major you can consider taking the car to a detailer that actually specializes in fixing messed up paint to see what they can do. Unfortunately these types of defects are just a lot more noticeable on a black or dark-colored car. Also, paint and window durability on new cars these days, no matter what matter make or model, just seems to suck. It isn't too late to clear bra, just make sure you get any chips repaired beforehand since you won't be able to afterwards!

Finally, I believe main/2nd is for owners who have two sets of wheels with two sets of TPMS.
Old 11-21-13, 03:09 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

owners manual?
Old 11-21-13, 03:26 PM
kdm
Pole Position

Yep, I got a ton of small chips on the hood and winshield. As for the hood, I don't know if I should go for the clear bra or just leave it as it is.
Old 11-21-13, 03:41 PM
daedalus
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

drivers side door mark looks like it might be tree sap residue.
Old 11-21-13, 05:33 PM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't notice any abnormal jerkiness when shifting EXCEPT for 2nd to 3rd...only happens at low rpms (below 3000). I hate it, but when the car is warm enough IMO for manual, but not for sport mode, I usually try to keep the revs down.
Old 11-21-13, 07:31 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,847 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Your chips look pristine compared to mine. But I also have a few track weekends in this car.

Yes the windshield is just as pitted as the rest of the front of the car.
Old 11-21-13, 10:09 PM
ISFNYC
Driver

i know what youre talking about i get the same jerkiness in 2nd gear i guess its normal...
Old 11-22-13, 06:13 AM
yjk1975
Pole Position

You are still under warranty. Take it in and have it looked at. As far as chips. I would first try a professional detail and see what they can do. It is amazing what a good professional can do to paint that looks like that. If the front end looks bad still. Then I would get a front end respray and then clear bra. Not only that, if you get a quality respray, it will hold up better than factory. Our windshield seems to get chipped pretty easy.
Old 11-22-13, 02:19 PM
ttbasterd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by yjk1975
You are still under warranty. Take it in and have it looked at. As far as chips. I would first try a professional detail and see what they can do. It is amazing what a good professional can do to paint that looks like that. If the front end looks bad still. Then I would get a front end respray and then clear bra. Not only that, if you get a quality respray, it will hold up better than factory. Our windshield seems to get chipped pretty easy.
You're right, I should take it in for a check up on the jerking but I just wanted to see if it was just an ISF thing or not!! And for the paint, I'll rather save the money for mods then a pain job lol!!! And glasses don't get chipped easily, all of them are the same, it's just the speed at which objects hit it cause the damage! My dad has an auto glass company so I'm not too worried that, a lexus glass tho would be expensive to get -__-
Old 11-23-13, 11:16 AM
RCM83
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine doens't have very many chips on the hood and only minor tiny ones on the front bumper at 50k but my windshield does look like crap. The Lexus glass is just softer which sucks for the little chips but at least it makes it a lot harder to crack. I was going to have mine replaced with factory Lexus glass through my insurance (after a 500 deductible) but holding off now since I might be losing my job. If you know of a glass place you can get the factory glass from sewell for about 800 (shipped)

Transmission is just jerky by nature as it's geared towards performance, and it's even worse until the car is warmed up a bit.