IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Need Some Life Advice From you guys

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-13, 06:05 PM
boyztung
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Need Some Life Advice From you guys

Hey guys, i've been reading this forum for a year already, not because i have a IS-F, but my cousin has an IS-F and it's really amazing to sit in it/drive it, and get jealous looks from people everywhere, i always come here to help my cousin on his build and fixes, Was even hoping to get one. I am 17 years old and have a 2011 Mustang 5.0, pretty content with it (Haha even beat my cousin's IS-F in quarter mile and 0-60 races), and not to troll with you guys at all. But after reading this fourm as compared to the Mustang forums, i notice that you guys have alot of potentials to go towards buying the GT-R route, like Danny from the forums. As mentioned before, i m still in school, high school to be exact. I would greatly appreciate you guys for some guidance/tips/life routes you would give to me in pursuing this route; about to go to college after next summer, going up to a new step of challanges, cause selling stuff on craigslist is not gonna make me serious money, getting tired of it, and the stupid scammers out there.
All help would be sincerely appreciated thanks guys
Old 11-03-13, 07:09 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

My advice is simple: 1) further your education, 2) live within your means., and 3) save as much as you can for retirement. With the economy as it is, it's a great investment in yourself to not only have a singular degree/career path but also have other areas of interest so that you don't limit yourself in terms of life and earnings potential. I see too many fixed up nice rides parked on the street and these teens living with their folks or living in something that barely has four walls and roof to call home. It's cool to have nice things, but job security and a structured life are more important. If you're financially stable, get the things you want, but make sure you can afford them. You're young. The earnings might not happen right away, but the more you save now, the better off your future self will be in about 50 years. Enjoy life, take it easy, and do you first and foremost.
Old 11-03-13, 07:35 PM
Gymkata
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
My advice is simple: 1) further your education, 2) live within your means., and 3) save as much as you can for retirement. With the economy as it is, it's a great investment in yourself to not only have a singular degree/career path but also have other areas of interest so that you don't limit yourself in terms of life and earnings potential. I see too many fixed up nice rides parked on the street and these teens living with their folks or living in something that barely has four walls and roof to call home. It's cool to have nice things, but job security and a structured life are more important. If you're financially stable, get the things you want, but make sure you can afford them. You're young. The earnings might not happen right away, but the more you save now, the better off your future self will be in about 50 years. Enjoy life, take it easy, and do you first and foremost.
I was going to write a bunch, but since the above is along the same lines...what he said.
Old 11-03-13, 07:46 PM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
^well said. know when to spoil yourself in other words.
as for achieving that life with the "dream cars, dream house, etc," there is no formula.
the dream requires hard work and exerting your utmost potential, two very different things as some do not realize: I can run up and down 50 flights of stairs for hours a day. it is hard work indeed! but have I lived up to my full potential?
Old 11-03-13, 08:17 PM
ISFNYC
Driver

all words of wisdom kid
Old 11-03-13, 09:53 PM
yjk1975
Pole Position

A degree in pharmacy will get you there 95% of the way. Doctor money, no on call, and a 9 to 5 schedule. Lots of time for fun.
Old 11-04-13, 08:38 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Work Hard. Keep your head down. Stay focused..

It is 100x easier to get education and experience behind you now, when you are young, than trying to do it while working your way up, having a wife, kids, mortgage, bills, etc.

Do the hard work NOW when you are young to free up your time when you are older and responsible for more than just yourself.

Keep the Mustang, that is nice car. Drive it into the ground. Get your degree, get your Masters, start your own business.

Then buy whatever car you want.

Old 11-04-13, 09:33 AM
lorenr
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Pay Yourself First

You guys advising this fellow in high school are giving some good advice.

Being young and poor is one thing, but it is fine, especially if you are saving for your future. I drove an old pile of junk for more years than I care to mention. I had a regular job and my second job went for investments. No one knew.

I was still unmarried when I purchased my first nice car (used of course). I asked a really cute lady out on a date. She was hugging the passenger's door handle as we drove. When I asked why, she says, "so i can get out quick, the car's stolen isn't it?" She was serious.

To many are not saving for their futures and it is not going to be pretty. Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid will all be there in the future but will be quite different and not as generous.

Being old and poor is no fun and certainly not for the weak. I see to much of it.

Save and invest WISELY.

Old 11-04-13, 10:25 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Ahh to be 17 again...

Invest in your future. The best way to do that right now is to focus on education. Don't go to college and rack up a bunch of debt to get a degree in basket weaving. Make sure you target a field that a.) you enjoy, but b.) is growing and profitable. Too many people spend tens of thousands on degrees in dying or overcrowded fields, leaving them with bleak job prospects and a mountain of debt. Be smart about it and do your homework to figure out what is going to grow in the future (healthcare is always a good choice).

I agree with the things bnizzle and others have said above, but also remember to enjoy yourself some as well. Saving up every penny for a retirement that you might never see is also not a good idea. You have to live life, which often means spending a little here and there on things to make you happy. I don't care how much money anyone on this board makes... buying a car like an ISF is a splurge. If it were all about saving money, we'd drive 10 year old Camrys. So it is okay to spend a little bit on fun things like cars and vacations as long as you have the extra money to do so. You're ahead of the game already... a 2011 Mustang GT is WAY more car that I had at your age, and probably more than most others on here as well.

Good luck to you!
Old 11-04-13, 11:34 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You're pretty lucky that your parents or someone else bought you a 2011 Mustang 5.0 at 17. I wasn't even allowed to have my license at 17. At 18 I was driving a 92 Civic. Simply put, if you want an ISF, sell the Mustang and get a high mileage 2008 ISF. But IMO that would be a stupid investment especially at your age. There are many more "F" cars coming in the future, when you are financially stable go and get one.

Originally Posted by boyztung
I am 17 years old and have a 2011 Mustang 5.0, pretty content with it (Haha even beat my cousin's IS-F in quarter mile and 0-60 races)
Not sure your cousin knows how to drive. Both cars are neck and neck in this category

Last edited by VtotheJ; 11-04-13 at 11:38 AM.
Old 11-04-13, 05:29 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Forget about getting a nice car now. Nice cars are, at the end of the day, just cars.

Do what everybody already said regarding education, saving/investing, living within your means, and getting the basics first: Having your own place to live.

I find it ridiculously funny when somebody will live with their parents just so they can own a baller car. Cool for some but a good example of how priorities are skewed.

Nice cars WILL always be around when you are finally set up and can comfortably afford one.
Old 11-04-13, 05:32 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,848 Likes on 2,333 Posts

Life isn't about stuff. Not cars, not houses, not jobs, not "girls" - not anything that seems important at 17. Life is a series of moments all strung together. The goal is to have more good ones than bad ones when the moments stop and one day they surely will stop for you. There are many ways for this to happen. Choose to find value in your relationships with others, and I mean real value, not cash value. Any monkey can climb a tree and pull down the dollars, you just have to be motivated, persistent, and fearless of what others call failure.

Don't do what everyone else is doing if you want more from life than they do. The first word in following the crowd or following fashion is following. It's not leading.

Choose to do something you are passionate about. It will make a lot more good moments than bad ones and you'll meet people who share your passion and appreciate what you do too.

Last but not least, it sounds really simple, but its undeniably true; the more people positively impacted by the decisions you make, the more money you'll find in your pocket.

I just recently celebrated my 32 anniversary of my 21st birthday. It was a LOT better than my 21st birthday was.

Never, ever, ever stop trying.
Old 11-05-13, 07:25 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

I forgot one more thing, travel, travel, travel. See the world. How can you know what you want out if life if you have only seen a small fraction of it. Memories are forever and the stories you can share with others your whole life through.
Old 11-05-13, 07:50 PM
Gymkata
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
I forgot one more thing, travel, travel, travel. See the world. How can you know what you want out if life if you have only seen a small fraction of it. Memories are forever and the stories you can share with others your whole life through.
Yes, exactly...I've checked off 26 countries...only 170 or so to go.
Old 11-05-13, 07:51 PM
kdm
Pole Position

^ True.

Travel a lot when you are young (hopefully your parents will financially back you up on this one . It's a true blessing and privilege to be able to roam around the world and to across different perspectives and opinions. Small-mindedness and ignorance is what really kills the human race. Open minds and tolerance can be learned through many ways (parental education, teachers, etc) but it's definitely something you'll learn when you travel and interact with people of diverse backgrounds, upbringings and perspectives on life.

Just my two cents.

Quick Reply: Need Some Life Advice From you guys