IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

PPE Full Exhaust System with Dual Mode Muffler

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-14, 01:19 PM
Mrd916
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I emailed PPE and they got right back to me on Saturday and they have 3 systems available that they are taking deposits on, they are about a month away from being ready. $2650 for the system and another $300 if u want high flow cats. Prob an awesome system but I will just keep my Joe Z, too rich for my blood.
Old 04-09-14, 02:15 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Just to clarify. - PPE has the materials to build 3 sets with delivery in about a month. The $2650 price quoted above is for a complete SS system with electronic valves with in car control, no coatings and no cats. Cats are another $300. Coatings would be an additional charge. A system sans valves would be quite a bit less. Final prices are being worked up now.

Lou
Old 04-09-14, 04:14 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

that pricing above is ridiculous for what you are getting. it does not look good compared to the competition, does not sound any better (my opinion). it has nothing that sets it apart besides a valve control? PPE did good with decent priced headers, but unless they make a good looking exhaust that can be seen from the back, it sounding crazy mean or it being light as hell, its way over priced. and dont tell me an extra 1k is worth not having a bit of drone that can lived with.
Old 04-09-14, 05:05 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
that pricing above is ridiculous for what you are getting. it does not look good compared to the competition, does not sound any better (my opinion). it has nothing that sets it apart besides a valve control? PPE did good with decent priced headers, but unless they make a good looking exhaust that can be seen from the back, it sounding crazy mean or it being light as hell, its way over priced. and dont tell me an extra 1k is worth not having a bit of drone that can lived with.
Exactly.
Old 04-09-14, 06:27 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^Have you two fellas seen the pricing for the Metsterchaft Exhaust with the midpipe? $5K, and that's with only one Electronic Valve. IMHO, PPEs pricing is extremely competitive. And, remember if you don't want the two Valves, the price will be much cheaper. Plus, this is a real dual system unlike the Metsterchaft. Just Sayin'.

You want a little drone - delete the two valves and they have what you want.

Gentlemen - This system is unique - There's nothing else like it out there.

Lou
Old 04-09-14, 08:21 PM
collinedw
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any pics on how he vacuum system connects and functions with the motor. Where the motor comes into contact with the vacuum system??
Old 04-09-14, 08:51 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
^^^^Have you two fellas seen the pricing for the Metsterchaft Exhaust with the midpipe? $5K, and that's with only one Electronic Valve. IMHO, PPEs pricing is extremely competitive. And, remember if you don't want the two Valves, the price will be much cheaper. Plus, this is a real dual system unlike the Metsterchaft. Just Sayin'.

You want a little drone - delete the two valves and they have what you want.

Gentlemen - This system is unique - There's nothing else like it out there.

Lou
Meisterschaft is overpriced, that company caters to the euro market where exhausts ARE around that price range. PPE's price is competitive relative to an overpriced exhaust.. but atleast Meisterschaft sounds really good at WOT.

You haven't quoted the system without the e-valves so unless the e-valves somehow cost $1k less (which I doubt) to make it competitive with Joe-Z.. it won't sell that well and since it sits behind the stock exhaust tips, it'll look exactly the same in the end with no true benefit.
Old 04-10-14, 06:34 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

I think the PPE exhaust is perfect for those that are sensitive to drone but also want sound at the press of a button. Very rarely I have family in the car, and this would be beneficial in that aspect, but it's rare. In that sense this is the best exhaust for that (Meisterschaft is ridiculously overpriced).

With that said, I'd be lying if I said I want an exhaust like this. I like to always hear that V8!!
Old 04-10-14, 08:34 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

The valves are quite expensive but that is what is required to deliver the level of quality for this platform. PPE is even building the mufflers from scratch to get the sound characteristics desired. To say something is overpriced and make generalizations about sound etc without considering all that has gone into it just insults the development effort. I think we all know how difficult it is to replicate an exhaust note in a recorded vs. how it is heard through a human ear. This is a unique product for a portion of the market that would like a drone-free experience. Generally people start with a idea that they want to hear the roar of the motor and then the reality of daily driving and domestic considerations set in and you realize that its not something you want all the time. This system is designed to cater to the dual personality of the car. Wiring should be able to pass through existing grommets.
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions

Last edited by FIGS; 04-10-14 at 08:39 AM.
The following users liked this post:
motronics (08-06-17)
Old 04-10-14, 08:55 AM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I think it would make my neighbors very happy if I could quiet my exhaust down when I'm pulling in and out in the middle of the night. I can think of a bunch of other times it might help as well. I had boarder patrol make me shut my car off so I could talk to the customs officer while entering Canada last summer. That produced an immediate bad attitude on there part.
I see value in the option of a well build, we'll functioning valve. If your not buying don't knock it.....just don't buy it.
I can see bashing if it was junk but I highly doubt PPE is putting out junk.
QTP doesn't give there valves away and I bent 3 of them in the Supra and there was no warranty so just imaging the the time and effort that went it to that from welding the piping to throwing the last one in the trash.

Last edited by RCB; 04-10-14 at 05:55 PM.
Old 04-10-14, 12:09 PM
Defratos
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

Does anyone have anymore videos of how the exhaust sounds?

I've seen the one in this thread but no videos of the car actually moving.
Old 04-24-14, 07:16 AM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So what is the cost for a basic, non coated system without the valves?
Old 04-24-14, 08:03 AM
SpasticG
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
dont tell me an extra 1k is worth not having a bit of drone that can lived with.
$1k for no drone. Absolutely worth it. "Can be lived with" is completely relative. What you can live with may be something I will not. $1K isn't a lot of money on a $70K car anyway.
Old 04-24-14, 10:37 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Just a note here:

Next week, my prototype PPE system will be removed and the production system installed.

And as a side note, since there is so much discussion on price I would like to add that the Corvette is available with a "performance Exhaust" from the factory. That exhaust option adds valves to the exhaust system, and those valves are not manually controllable unless you pull a fuse. The cost for that option is $1,195.00.

As far as drone, when open the PPE system does drone, at about 2K RPM, and that drone is pretty much the same as the JoeZ Exhaust. I have a friend with PPE Headers, No Cats, and a JoeZ exhaust. His drone is pretty much the same as my PPE when opened. However, when closed there is absolutely No Drone.

My friend was over to my house this weekend, we were changing out some headlight bulbs. Anyway we had the cars parked side by side in my garage. Just for grins and giggles we started up both cars and listened to them at idle. The PPE had a lower tone, and from about 8 feet back you couldn't hear the JoeZ, but you still could hear the PPE system and it sounded GR8T. My friend was drooling.

Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 04-24-14 at 10:43 AM.
Old 04-24-14, 11:03 AM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
Just a note here:

Next week, my prototype PPE system will be removed and the production system installed.

And as a side note, since there is so much discussion on price I would like to add that the Corvette is available with a "performance Exhaust" from the factory. That exhaust option adds valves to the exhaust system, and those valves are not manually controllable unless you pull a fuse. The cost for that option is $1,195.00.

Corvette C6 Dual-Mode Performance Exhaust Demonstration - Chicago Motor Cars with Chris Moran - YouTube

As far as drone, when open the PPE system does drone, at about 2K RPM, and that drone is pretty much the same as the JoeZ Exhaust. I have a friend with PPE Headers, No Cats, and a JoeZ exhaust. His drone is pretty much the same as the PPE when opened. However, when closed there is absolutely No Drone.

My friend was over to my house this weekend, we were changing out some headlight bulbs. Anyway we had the cars parked side by side in my garage. Just for grins and giggles we started up both cars and listened to them at idle. The PPE had a lower tone, and from about 8 feet back you couldn't hear the JoeZ, but you still could hear the PPE system and it sounded GR8T. My friend was drooling.

Lou
Don't know why you would quote the cost of a exhaust valve system from the factory. (considering the markup from the factory is ridiculous)

Thats like comparing the cost of a carbon fiber oem style spoiler from ebay for $200 Vs the OEM 2014 IS-F one which is $3,200 from Sewell.

By your logic, the Corvettes $1.2k valve exhaust system should be less than $100 additional in price.

Quick Reply: PPE Full Exhaust System with Dual Mode Muffler