IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

bnizzle87's IS F Through the Years

Old 08-06-14, 04:38 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by peyman
love those rear ends, beaty shots, and that wald diffuser... ahh
Thanks man! It defintely feels great that all the parts came together and everything flows well.

Originally Posted by LexusK
Went through the thread looking at pics, so I don't know if I missed it, but what's different about the NM IS-F besides the wheels?
Essentially it's the black and white stitching in the interior, polished blades of the stock wheels, the F embossed front headrests (later included in the MY14 IS F), special edition badge on the center console, and the half day racing experience at certain race courses. Of course, I chose to keep my stock wheels. Still love the look among all the ones available for the IS F.

Originally Posted by mattpete
super clean car man - I don't currently own a Lexus - shopping - I own a 2007 TL-S and when I saw one of these for the first time about 2 weeks ago I couldn't stop thinking about it. I have to own one.

is your car on coil overs or is it stock suspension?

would you ever consider moving up to the 2011+ ISF or is the 2008 just as good, in your opinion?

My first post too on CL!
Welcome to CL! I'm on coilovers right now, BC Racing with Swift Springs.

For those who want the factory revisions, of course a 2011+
F would have the best bang for your buck, but I've seen plenty of 2011+ Fs that have been swapped out for aftermarket coilovers. The main thing for me would be the mechanical LSD included from that year onward.

At this point, I'm happy with the car as is. I don't see the need to get a newer F, primarily since I've been debt free since 2009. I do love that Lexus continually revised the vehicle to be a better product for competition purposes. The 08 F is more than plenty when considering an F. Best of luck on the search!
Old 08-07-14, 08:41 AM
LexusK
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Lol and what is the MY ISF? Looked it up but couldn't find anything besides different fogs?
Old 08-07-14, 11:52 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

MY- model year. Each year had some slight revisions. For this final production year (MY14), Lexus included LED fogs, carbon fiber trunk spoiler, and F embossed headrests for all four seats.
Old 08-07-14, 04:03 PM
mattpete
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
Thanks man! It defintely feels great that all the parts came together and everything flows well.

Essentially it's the black and white stitching in the interior, polished blades of the stock wheels, the F embossed front headrests (later included in the MY14 IS F), special edition badge on the center console, and the half day racing experience at certain race courses. Of course, I chose to keep my stock wheels. Still love the look among all the ones available for the IS F.

Welcome to CL! I'm on coilovers right now, BC Racing with Swift Springs.

For those who want the factory revisions, of course a 2011+
F would have the best bang for your buck, but I've seen plenty of 2011+ Fs that have been swapped out for aftermarket coilovers. The main thing for me would be the mechanical LSD included from that year onward.

At this point, I'm happy with the car as is. I don't see the need to get a newer F, primarily since I've been debt free since 2009. I do love that Lexus continually revised the vehicle to be a better product for competition purposes. The 08 F is more than plenty when considering an F. Best of luck on the search!
Thanks Brian!
Old 09-07-14, 11:52 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Haven't had time to do the installs when I wanted, but fortunately I found some shop time with my friends over at ETL Garage in Pomona. They primarily work on MR2's there along with engine rebuilds and some Porsche applications, but the owner is more than knowledgeable on anything automotive and electrical. Jeevey's his name, and he's worked on numerous IS Fs and other Lexus platforms. Much thanks to my bro Khoa (Mk4Sup_isF) for the shop info and consultation on the parts.

Today ended up being a full work day, but we got a lot done: two-piece rotors from RacingBrake (based locally in Fullerton, CA) and PPE headers finally installed.

After a few track days and a healthy amount of canyon runs through the years, it was time to change up the rotors. Pad install should've taken place today as well, but we weren't able to obtain them in time.

It might not look much different than the OE drilled rotors, but these two-piece rotors will be felt in terms of unsprung weight and rotational mass.

Out with the old and restrictive....

...and in with the new and free-flowing. Yes, one was already being installed at the time.

As with one of my idols, Peyton Manning, I, too, am in pursuit of perfection. I think we're both in agreement that what we have before us has laid the groundwork for something truly great- now and in the future.

Ain't nothing wrong with "it's just a Toyota."

The drive home felt amazing! A brand new car- literally. I can understand why many owners have raved about getting the headers installed, and to finally be a part of the I/H/E club feels so surreal. Taking on freeway onramps was fun before, but now- it has exponentially increased in fun factor. I'm not big on racing on the public roads, but coming home, there were some guys who wanted to see what the F is all about now. A downshift here and there and to have such a sinister blip resonance- they were quick to back off.
Old 09-08-14, 12:34 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

A few things I took from the install that might be helpful to those wanting to get the same stuff done to their cars:

-have a backup set of O2 sensors ready. I chose to have them installed instead of taking the risk of their malfunctioning and having to be re-hoisted on the lift for more removal and install of parts.

-I know I've pointed this out to numerous owners and some who've regretted not doing this, but....
PLEASE keep all stock parts!. It might seem like those parts are taking up space now, but you never know when you might need to call on them again one day.

-rotor install was straightforward and we performed various speeds to hard stop to make sure everything was installed right

-some might have a problem with it and some might not, but if you choose to not have any cats on the car from headers and exhaust installed, it will smell. I know it's been said before, but anywhere idling will cause a lingering odor.

-While I didn't have a CEL, my VSC did appear and stayed on through the duration of my ride home. I know it's been documented here on the forums, and will seek advice from those who've experienced it and PPE about a remedy.

Lastly, unfortunately I found out today that I am the latest victim of the water pump leakage. All you owners with a 2008 IS F, check on them after every oil change and whenever you have the car on a lift. While I didn't see anything leaking from looking down in the engine bay, after all the plastic covers were removed, we found a good amount of dried pink coolant.
Old 09-08-14, 01:06 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Welcome to the after market headers club
Old 09-08-14, 08:24 AM
Dragtek
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Forgive the lack of knowledge, but does the VSC light being on cause the car to be in limp mode? Also, where would you suggest purchasing the o2 sensors from? I'm looking forward to installing my headers soon!
Old 09-08-14, 08:43 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by blitz_714
Welcome to the after market headers club
Much appreciated, brother! Now I know why you guys love to rev. It was music to my ears before the headers- now it's a freakin opera with its resonance.

Originally Posted by Dragtek
Forgive the lack of knowledge, but does the VSC light being on cause the car to be in limp mode? Also, where would you suggest purchasing the o2 sensors from? I'm looking forward to installing my headers soon!
That is what we were worried about. But we tested everything, pushed her as hard as we could on the roads, and she took it all in stride. I think what we both were thinking was that there needs to be a period of time to relearn. I read a few threads about the VSC and how it doesn't go into limp mode, but shifts begin at M-2 and not first gear.

I've used Amazon for small but very important parts like these. It helps with Prime in terms of shipping time.

You have PM on the shop info.

You're gonna enjoy it greatly, and that's an understatement.
Old 09-08-14, 09:47 AM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ETL installed my PPE headers too and I to this day still have a CEL.. its been about 2 months. Granted I've been busy going out a lot on weekends gave me less opportunities to fix it.. it still is annoying. The o2 sensors don't need to be changed out upon removal because I changed mine out thinking it broke (per PPE's advise.. I need to give them another call and hopefully they can provide a solution..

p0138 p2238
Old 09-08-14, 10:31 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

nice updates. did you get a chance to feel the weight of the 2 piece rotors compared to stock? any noticeable difference?
Old 09-08-14, 11:46 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ISFpat
ETL installed my PPE headers too and I to this day still have a CEL.. its been about 2 months. Granted I've been busy going out a lot on weekends gave me less opportunities to fix it.. it still is annoying. The o2 sensors don't need to be changed out upon removal because I changed mine out thinking it broke (per PPE's advise.. I need to give them another call and hopefully they can provide a solution..

p0138 p2238
Thanks for providing the codes, Pat. I'm praying that there are no issues moving forward.

We discussed the problems that could arise, but having researched the initial problems other owners had after the install, I tried to take as many precautions as possible. I just replaced the o2 sensors because I didn't want to risk their not working when everything was put back together.

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
nice updates. did you get a chance to feel the weight of the 2 piece rotors compared to stock? any noticeable difference?
Thanks, bro! RacingBrake claimed a 0.3 lb loss each in the fronts (even though it felt a little bit more than that) and 4.5 lbs in the rears each on its site. While I didn't get a chance to weigh them, the amount of weight bearing to install them versus uninstalling the OE rotors was far less. It also felt a bit easier to accelerate, as there was less weight at the wheel. I'll be participating in a few autocross and track day events soon, so as soon as I get the pads, I'll see how well these rotors are combined with new brake pads.
Old 09-08-14, 01:52 PM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
7.5 lbs less each front and 4.5 lbs less each rear. There is a typo on RacingBrake website
Old 09-08-14, 03:03 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

thanks guys for responses, thats awesome.
Old 09-08-14, 10:20 PM
peyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TOMMY at tommys music box installed my headers, hes good at doing the wiring in case you need him to look it over for that dash light that came on. did u put aftermarket cats? i want to put cats cause it smells so toxic without it but im worried it will alter the sound.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: bnizzle87's IS F Through the Years