Alignment After PPE Header installation

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-13, 05:03 AM
Defratos
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
Question Alignment After PPE Header installation

Hi Guys,

well I finally got my PPE headers installed while I was out of the country.

Came back today and picked up the car, everything seems good....i.e. no check engine signs, no rubbing or rattling sounds when turning etc...

The one thing that I have to do is get an alignment done (even though I gave the installer as much info as possible and told him to specifically mark the steering shaft before taking it apart) but it seems they never did that, or weren't able to get it back to original alignment 100%.

So my steering wheel is at an angel when steering straight (picture below):

Now I wanted to ask, can I simply just remove the steering wheel and re-install it correctly?

Or do I have to do it by opening the steering shaft and trying to align it this way?

Alignment shops here are extremely ghetto and I don't want them to start playing around with other parts of the steering or suspension which were not touched before the installation.

So would removing the steering wheel and re-installing it correctly work with no issues?
Old 10-24-13, 06:54 AM
PrezJay
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe the steering wheel is keyed to only install in one position so you'll probably have to go the alignment route.
Old 10-24-13, 06:59 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

You should get an alignment, not only for the steering wheel, but for proper handling and tire wear. I hope you can find a good shop. Any time you remove the front sub frame, and alignment should be performed. When I had mine installed even though they marked the frame, an alignment was still necessary.

Lou
Old 10-24-13, 07:34 AM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

+1 - get an alignment.

Great looking steering wheel btw.
Old 10-24-13, 07:37 AM
Defratos
Racer

Thanks for the reply.

Ok when you guys do an alignment in the states what parts of the suspension are adjusted?

I want to know so I can instruct someone to do it while I watch over them. Last time I did it on my G35 they aligned it by trial and error.

So if you guys know what's parts are adjusted, please let me know.
Old 10-24-13, 07:50 AM
sleepyray
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Firestone have a 'Life Time Alignment" program for about $125 - 160, i don't remember the exact price. You can bring your car there as many times you want as long as you still own the car.

The machanic who work on my F is knows exactly what he doing and i have no issue at all, i had done 3 alignments right after i put on new rear tires and new rims with them in the last 24 months.
Old 10-24-13, 08:40 AM
Defratos
Racer

Yeah that would be good if I was in the states or even back home in the UK.

Unfortunately I'm in Saudi Arabia.

I will try and take it to Michelin workshop I think they had an alignment machine. I'll find out Saturday.
Old 10-24-13, 08:50 AM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sleepyray
Firestone have a 'Life Time Alignment" program for about $125 - 160, i don't remember the exact price. You can bring your car there as many times you want as long as you still own the car.

The machanic who work on my F is knows exactly what he doing and i have no issue at all, i had done 3 alignments right after i put on new rear tires and new rims with them in the last 24 months.
He is oversea!
Old 10-24-13, 09:28 AM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

Also make sure they are very careful to not scratch the wheels. I go out of my way to mention this (regardless of what shop) with every alignment I have ever had..
Old 10-24-13, 11:15 AM
Defratos
Racer

Yeah I'll be watching over them as they do the alignment so hopefully nothing's gets screwed up
Old 10-24-13, 12:44 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

Without touching the Alignment...

First thing that needs to be done is to re-align that steering shaft...!!!

~ Joe Z
Old 10-24-13, 02:02 PM
Defratos
Racer

^ lol I know it looks bad right?

So how do I go about re-aligning the steering shaft? I need to get a rough idea on what needs to be done so I can explain it to whichever workshop I take it too.

What part in the pic below has to be adjusted? or would they have to adjust it through another way?

And please no one start flaming me, I know my fare bit about cars and diy'ing but have no clue when it comes to steering, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

The more help the better

Last edited by Defratos; 10-24-13 at 02:08 PM.
Old 10-24-13, 04:50 PM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Defratos
^ lol I know it looks bad right?

So how do I go about re-aligning the steering shaft? I need to get a rough idea on what needs to be done so I can explain it to whichever workshop I take it too.

What part in the pic below has to be adjusted? or would they have to adjust it through another way?

And please no one start flaming me, I know my fare bit about cars and diy'ing but have no clue when it comes to steering, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

The more help the better
I don't know if your steering shaft was put back correctly. Steering wheel shouldn't be off that much to one side. Had my headers installed and alignment was barely off afterward.
Old 10-24-13, 05:14 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same thing after I got my headers done. The toe just gets all out of whack. Get an alignment and she will be as good as new.
Old 10-24-13, 09:21 PM
shyguyF
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

wait for Luboxracer chime in !

Quick Reply: Alignment After PPE Header installation