IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Strange vibration from hell, please I need your opinions

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-13, 06:09 PM
stvincent
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Strange vibration from hell, please I need your opinions

I started to feel this vibration about a few months ago. I actually had to pull over to see if I had any bubbles on my tires. When I drive slow on even roads (Like bumper to bumper traffic on highway), it feels like the car is rocking side to side. In normal driving, vibration is mostly felt through my lower body. Vibration is most noticeable when the car’s not warmed up, for example, driving out of my garage to go to work in the morning, but to be honest, I cannot really pinpoint when it happens. I felt it few times driving uphill when my car was fully warmed up, so sometimes it’s always there, sometimes not.

I went to the dealership twice regarding this issue. First, they road-force balanced two tires, and second, they checked the transmission mounts and shocks. They told me everything looks good including tires. The mechanic drove the car and says it feels normal. The service rep blamed the new low profile tires which were installed in January, continental extreme contact DWS with a factory recommended setting, but this did not happen right after installation and alignment.

I had to tell the service manager that I am not crazy, lol.. he asked me to log everything, like time and place when it happened. I was able to capture some videos, like door trims chatting, things on the seats vibrating, etc. plus I have friends who can testify..

All I can say is that my F is unpleasant to drive sometimes. I am not convinced that tires are the issue. I suspect shocks, but who knows? So I turn to you fine gents for any advice or opinions.

FYI, my car is 08 with 65k miles; lowered on Eibach springs, stock shocks (I purchased the car from the dealership this way). Thanks.
Old 10-09-13, 06:49 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Do you have aftermarket sway bars? Are the links ok? I'm sure the tech would have noticed this though....
Old 10-09-13, 06:53 PM
Boma
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Might be your tires. I remember reading a few negative reviews about those Continentals regarding ride quality. Switch them out for PSS or RE11s and I'm sure the ride quality will be greatly improved.
Old 10-09-13, 06:55 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hmm I have DWS and I haven't had this issue... I seldom get vibrations if I haven't driven the car in a few days but only initially then it goes away. Are your tires properly inflated? Mine are ~38psi.

Last edited by VtotheJ; 10-09-13 at 06:59 PM.
Old 10-09-13, 07:02 PM
clifftrail
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have dws with no issues either. Is there someone close that you can switch wheels/ tires with to rule that out? Maybe even the dealer if he has something on the lot.
Old 10-09-13, 07:14 PM
Boma
Lead Lap

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=560262

This might be the thread I was referencing.
Old 10-10-13, 10:06 AM
stvincent
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

^ thx for the link..

i don't have aftermarket sway bars, but can stabilizer links cause such vibration?

i didn't think tires can be the culprit, but if i get new wheels, i will throw in some better tires and see what happens. thx guys.
Old 10-10-13, 11:34 AM
kteng7
Driver

i just put on DWS last week, no problem so far, loving it.