IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Do you trust dealership car wash?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-13, 06:02 PM
RCM83
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by edgeucated
I tape paper with "DO NOT WASH" to all my windows when i take my car in for maintenance.

lol this is actually brilliant. Stealing this idea
Old 10-09-13, 02:08 AM
chrisp1
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

At the dealer i go to they will hand wash your car if you ask them. They did a great job last time i had my oil changed even detailing the wheels and adding tire shine. I watched the detailing crew put the finishing touches on it and i wasnt the least bit nervous....maybe a little until i saw the nice job they were doing
Old 10-09-13, 03:43 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

No. The lot porters are not car detailers and generally don't care about your paint half as much as you do.

That said, my paint could use some correction because I do have some swirls even though I'm careful by using two buckets, microfiber wash mitts and drying cloths, and wash panel by panel. Obsidian is SO hard to keep looking perfect. I can't imagine how much worse it'd look if I didn't do it myself though.
Old 10-09-13, 11:20 AM
kbtoiz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since I got my paint corrected, my car haven't been washed at the dealership or other place. When I droped the car after the correction, I told the service rep once not to wash the car. Last month the rep mention it before I even told him!

I would recommend not to do it
Old 10-09-13, 12:03 PM
kdm
Pole Position

I got the pressure washer so I only use mitts to dry the car. It saves time and no need for two buckets. I just make sure to hold the gun at an angle to not damage the paint.

YES, Obsidian is a pain the the ***! But a sexy color indeed
Old 10-09-13, 12:13 PM
PatrickISF
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I've stopped letting any dealership wash my cars. I had a G35 sedan before getting my ISF. I made the mistake of not telling the service rep not to wash my car. I got it back and it looked like someone took a brillo pad to the whole car. I've known porters who worked at Honda who wash cars. They use the same wash bucket all day long.
Old 10-09-13, 12:25 PM
08ISF510
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs down dont trust them.

i actually use to work for a dealership, just washing and and detailing cars. They treat the cars like ****. Most of the people that work in the back will just mess with your car even steal your belongings. Dont trust any dealer car washes. They also use strong chemicals that if used wrong can damage your car.
Old 10-09-13, 07:04 PM
Nameless1
Rookie

Took my car to the dealership to get the sub woofer replaced under warranty and they washed my car without asking. Now both my Volk rims on the driver side are marred from the wheel track in their automatic car wash.
Old 10-09-13, 07:16 PM
aBoVe1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kbtoiz
Since I got my paint corrected, my car haven't been washed at the dealership or other place. When I droped the car after the correction, I told the service rep once not to wash the car. Last month the rep mention it before I even told him!

I would recommend not to do it
Can u explain "got my paint corrected"?

Reason I ask is cause I bought my '11 obsidian a few months back and they had this company do a clear coat before I had gone in and purchased it.
It looks like they just screwed up the paint job because in the sun you see as milky white circular patterns. As if someone waxed it and left the wax on there and then put a clear coat on top. I've tried claying & polishing but its baked in.

I really don't know if it was the coat from Restech (Kirkland, WA) but can't imaging they would put their product on top of something pretty obvious.

Maybe there is a way to fix it.

Last edited by aBoVe1; 10-09-13 at 07:28 PM.
Old 10-09-13, 07:45 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aBoVe1

Reason I ask is cause I bought my '11 obsidian a few months back and they had this company do a clear coat before I had gone in and purchased it.
It looks like they just screwed up the paint job because in the sun you see as milky white circular patterns. As if someone waxed it and left the wax on there and then put a clear coat on top. I've tried claying & polishing but its baked in.

I really don't know if it was the coat from Restech (Kirkland, WA) but can't imaging they would put their product on top of something pretty obvious.

Paint correction is the process of removing paint defects by using various stages of tedious paint polishing.

It doesn't make sense why they would re shoot your car with clear coat? Perhaps they burned through the clearcoat and had to fix the mistake? Can you post some pictures?

I also know a couple of great detailers in WA I can recommend as well.
Old 10-09-13, 09:02 PM
powermungr
Rookie

Do not let the dealer wash your car unless they have a brush-less center. Otherwise it is nearly the same as running it through your local gas station car wash.
Old 10-10-13, 10:45 AM
OKSTANCE
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

most washers are with third party companies....just putting that out there if it matters to you

Last edited by OKSTANCE; 10-10-13 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-10-13, 02:30 PM
aBoVe1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TLcoats
Paint correction is the process of removing paint defects by using various stages of tedious paint polishing.

It doesn't make sense why they would re shoot your car with clear coat? Perhaps they burned through the clearcoat and had to fix the mistake? Can you post some pictures?

I also know a couple of great detailers in WA I can recommend as well.
Yeah, I'll do that as soon as I can. Hopefully I can show what I see in the sunlight on a picture.

Thanks.
Old 10-10-13, 08:39 PM
t0nyep
Driver School Candidate

No I don't. Lexus of Serramonte scratched 2 of my wheels when they wash my car and they did not bother to follow up with me to fix it.
Old 10-11-13, 08:38 PM
kbtoiz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by aBoVe1

Paint correction was answered.

About the clear coat on your car...

I have been going to see the guy who detailed my car to learn some. He was doing a bad *** BMW that just got repainted (or re-coated not sure ). I didnt saw nothing with the job but he show me what was called orange peel. I had to see it very closely with the LED lights. The car looked shinny but the reflection on the cars paint didnt look good. I dont know how it look on daytime though. The way he was fixing the car was with wet sanding. After some shop paint cars, they use the high speed polish and leave the circles you might be talking.

Find you a decent and proven deteailer in your area and have him to take a look in your car. Not every detailer do wet sanding, and I think if they do, they have to be certified.

Quick Reply: Do you trust dealership car wash?