IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Let's talk resale value of the 08/09's.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-13, 02:29 PM
chrisp1
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
You guys in school need to remember that you should be saving for your future not pissing money away on cars. Graduate from school, save cash, keep fixing your clunker, get two years under your belt at work and then buy something.
many people make themselves "car poor" by spending all their extra money on a car payment instead of saving that extra dough for a while and getting their finances straight.( not implying the op is doing this)
Old 10-08-13, 12:58 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Heres one '08 at a Lexus dealer (they're usually well inspected pre-owns), that can probably get in the low 30's (No accidents) and within driving Distance for you OP -- http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=36117&endYear=2010&modelCode1=IS350&sortBy=distanceASC&modelCode2=ISF&makeCode2=LEXUS&showcaseOwnerId=100024130&startYear=2008&makeCode1=LEXUS&searchRadius=0&showcaseListingId=352284585&mmt=[LEXUS[IS350[]ISF[]][]]&listingId=353594933&listingIndex=9&Log=0
Old 10-08-13, 04:47 AM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice and clean. They've had it for about 45 days, probably willing to deal.

Are you going to look into an aftermarket warranty on yours?
Old 10-08-13, 09:41 AM
Wakemaker8
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Aristo300
Nice and clean. They've had it for about 45 days, probably willing to deal.

Are you going to look into an aftermarket warranty on yours?
If you find one in north Texas and would like it hand delivered I'd be more than happy to help
Old 10-08-13, 10:00 AM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisp1
many people make themselves "car poor" by spending all their extra money on a car payment instead of saving that extra dough for a while and getting their finances straight.( not implying the op is doing this)
As a financial advisor I must attest to this as more of the 'rule' and not the 'exception'
Old 10-08-13, 10:37 AM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Wakemaker8
If you find one in north Texas and would like it hand delivered I'd be more than happy to help
Thanks for the offer.

It would be great if I found one too far away to travel, to have someone give the car a great unbiased lookover. I hate buying stuff sight unseen, especially high dollar vehicles, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do.
Old 10-08-13, 11:09 AM
F Monster
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

I love it when my age is mentioned in this forum. I get stereotyped and mistreated. I like it because it is a challenge. My girlfriend who's age is 22 recently bought a $150k house last year by herself (2.9% Rate). Everyone thought she was crazy and said she couldn't do and recommended not to. Now her house is worth around $180~$190k and everyone is admiring her saying "Wow, impressive". If she can buy a $150k house, I think I can handle a $35k car. Also take into consideration I've been paying half of the bills (mortgage, cellphone, utility, gas, etc etc) for the past couple years for my parents. I'm not your average 20 year old who still plays video games and have tons of time at home. I may live with them still (because I help out) but I work full time and attend school full time, the only reason I was looking into buying an ISF is because I was looking to get a 2013 Honda Accord since my current car is breaking down CONSISTENTLY. I use my car EVERYDAY to go to school and work, I DON'T have a day off. The Accord is alone $25k, why not put a couple more grand and get yourself something you'll TRULY love and puts a smile on your face for the next 10+ years? Besides I'm waiting until next year because then my parents can refinance our house, of course my priorities are set. As much as I love the F, I obviously know mortgage payments are more important. Once we are getting that settled and once the interest rate lowers then the F payments will be combined with our mortgage payment which will equate to what we are currently paying right now. So really I'm not putting myself into "car poor", I've already thought this out countless times. Of course, if we can't refinance then I'll probably end up keep fixing my clunker.

Bottom line is I need a need car, and as someone recently posted on this forum. It is not worth it to get rid of the F to buy a Camry because it won't save you that much. My situation is vice-versa, I want to get the F since it's not a huge gap between the two.

Just my $0.02 rant.

Sorry for getting off topic: But I'm sure if you wait long enough you can get an ISF for around that price, OP.
Old 10-08-13, 11:30 AM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

I will get the right car under $30k and be happy.

There's just a majority of people on this forum who wouldn't buy anything but a 40k mile CPO car directly from a Lexus dealership. Those same people also think the car I plan to buy is less desirable and make judgements about it's condition and upkeep moving forward. Not to mention, there's a few that have already chimed in to tell me I can't afford an F if I require such a great deal.
Old 10-08-13, 11:48 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

its very possible to find a good deal under 30k. just depends how much the dealership got it for. as long as they make a profit, you can get it. just pray that there wont be a lot of other people looking at ISFs at the moment.
Old 10-08-13, 11:58 AM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
as long as they make a profit, you can get it.
Not always entirely true. The car isn't sought after all that highly. Sometimes a dealership may have put a fair amount into the car (trade-in) in order to make a deal on something in their stock.

Sometimes the plan is to make $1000 over, but at least break even. Just have to find the right car, at the right price, in the right situation where a dealer needs to move it and profit isn't motive.
Old 10-08-13, 12:27 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Snow
I get stereotyped and mistreated. I like it because it is a challenge.
Who mistreated you? We are giving younger people advice. I'm only 26 but was brought up with the core financial values...which is how I was able to afford an ISF at 23.

My girlfriend who's age is 22 recently bought a $150k house last year by herself (2.9% Rate). Everyone thought she was crazy and said she couldn't do and recommended not to. Now her house is worth around $180~$190k and everyone is admiring her saying "Wow, impressive".
A house isn't an investment until it makes money for you, i.e. you are renting it out to somebody else and have them pay your mortgage. Just because it is worth a certain amount doesn't mean jack.....it's considered an unrealized gain.... a gain that you won't see until you actually sell the house. And btw a $30-40k increase is nothing in this day and age, especially considering the interest she'd be paying over the long term. Just something I've learned over the years.

If she can buy a $150k house, I think I can handle a $35k car.
Nobody said you couldn't afford the car.

Once we are getting that settled and once the interest rate lowers then the F payments will be combined with our mortgage payment which will equate to what we are currently paying right now. So really I'm not putting myself into "car poor", I've already thought this out countless times. Of course, if we can't refinance then I'll probably end up keep fixing my clunker.
If you're combining the car payments with the mortgage, you aren't really paying for the car yourself, since your parents will be chipping in half.

You've said nothing about a retirement savings account, investment account or anything else regarding stashing money away for savings.... I say get that sorted FIRST, then go and shop for the F. Most people in their 20's (early 20's especially) don't consider saving because they want instant gratification. Don't be like them.
Old 10-08-13, 12:43 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

I love it when my age is mentioned in this forum. I get stereotyped and mistreated. I like it because it is a challenge. My girlfriend who's age is 22 recently bought a $150k house last year by herself (2.9% Rate). Everyone thought she was crazy and said she couldn't do and recommended not to. Now her house is worth around $180~$190k and everyone is admiring her saying "Wow, impressive". If she can buy a $150k house, I think I can handle a $35k car. Also take into consideration I've been paying half of the bills (mortgage, cellphone, utility, gas, etc etc) for the past couple years for my parents. I'm not your average 20 year old who still plays video games and have tons of time at home. I may live with them still (because I help out) but I work full time and attend school full time, the only reason I was looking into buying an ISF is because I was looking to get a 2013 Honda Accord since my current car is breaking down CONSISTENTLY. I use my car EVERYDAY to go to school and work, I DON'T have a day off. The Accord is alone $25k, why not put a couple more grand and get yourself something you'll TRULY love and puts a smile on your face for the next 10+ years? Besides I'm waiting until next year because then my parents can refinance our house, of course my priorities are set. As much as I love the F, I obviously know mortgage payments are more important. Once we are getting that settled and once the interest rate lowers then the F payments will be combined with our mortgage payment which will equate to what we are currently paying right now. So really I'm not putting myself into "car poor", I've already thought this out countless times. Of course, if we can't refinance then I'll probably end up keep fixing my clunker.

Bottom line is I need a need car, and as someone recently posted on this forum. It is not worth it to get rid of the F to buy a Camry because it won't save you that much. My situation is vice-versa, I want to get the F since it's not a huge gap between the two.

Just my $0.02 rant.

Sorry for getting off topic: But I'm sure if you wait long enough you can get an ISF for around that price, OP.

Sounds like you got a crappy situation on your hands.

Putting yourself into more debt won't solve your issues. If you need reliable transportation with a warranty, why don't you look at a certified pre owned Honda Civic. Also keep in mind your insurance payments and gas as well.

Edit: Also a 2013 Honda Accord would/could come with 6speed manual and more/updated in car electronics than the F...

Last edited by MisterSkiz; 10-08-13 at 01:16 PM.
Old 10-08-13, 01:15 PM
madastep
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I honestly don't think you'll have a problem next year getting a ISF for what you wanna pay. They don't seem to be flying off the shelves and they don't have what the Supra has modablity,and the notoriety of the 90's Era sports cars. The ISF isn't out there like the other 2k cars imo, but who knows i may be way off. I'm betting your end result is right, it'll hit 25k ish and then demand will go up some, because a high horsepower status car will be more affordable.
Old 10-08-13, 01:17 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Aristo300
I will get the right car under $30k and be happy.

There's just a majority of people on this forum who wouldn't buy anything but a 40k mile CPO car directly from a Lexus dealership. Those same people also think the car I plan to buy is less desirable and make judgements about it's condition and upkeep moving forward. Not to mention, there's a few that have already chimed in to tell me I can't afford an F if I require such a great deal.
Yes, a majority of us buy lower mileage and from a dealership because we are financially stable and we like the peace of mind. Yes, what you are aiming to buy is definitely less desirable in our eyes because a 25K price tag is a definite flag. The low price might indicate a salvage title, hidden issues/repairs, multiple owners, etc.
If you came in here and mentioned a higher purchase price ( now you are up to 30K ), then you would not be " mistreated".

Last edited by Lexura1414; 10-08-13 at 01:29 PM.
Old 10-08-13, 01:41 PM
jt321
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Follow your dreams.

Quick Reply: Let's talk resale value of the 08/09's.